www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: CBX550-Brat/urban scrambler on a budget  (Read 50782 times)

Offline NoRiders

Re: CBX550-Brat/urban scrambler on a budget
« Reply #90 on: Mar 22, 2016, 15:47:44 »
Gave the bug a run out on Sunday to a local VW Aircooled event and bagged a Top 10 place in the show n shine...proper chuffed I have to say  ;D My mate blagged Best of Show as well....

My 'bottle' trophy.

My mate's clean n cool '67.

Three smart Beetles...even if I do say so myself  8)

Offline Zweihammer

« Reply #91 on: Mar 23, 2016, 00:34:38 »
If you are still looking for an adhesive to bond layers of close cell to each other and to a substrate like aluminum, I have always depended on Barge cement. Put it on both faces, let it tack up until it are dry to the touch, put them together and you will have to use a grinder to get them apart again.
 For one of my own projects, I am thinking of using just the shaped foam on my seat base, without a cover of any kind, just using the Barge cement.
Cheers

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #92 on: Mar 23, 2016, 05:31:38 »
If you are still looking for an adhesive to bond layers of close cell to each other and to a substrate like aluminum, I have always depended on Barge cement. Put it on both faces, let it tack up until it are dry to the touch, put them together and you will have to use a grinder to get them apart again.
 For one of my own projects, I am thinking of using just the shaped foam on my seat base, without a cover of any kind, just using the Barge cement.
Cheers

Thank you 2hammers, Barge Cement not available directly in the UK, not on ebay anyway, looks like a heavy duty contact adhesive used in shoe repair etc. Useful to know, thanks for your reply.

I solved the adhesion problem by wrapping the seat in another layer of closedcell yoga mat which provides a waterproof membrane to save the foam from a soaking........still awaiting some news from the upholsterer  :)
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2016, 20:56:35 by NoRiders »

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #93 on: Mar 24, 2016, 20:56:06 »
Progress: Me and my neighbour, Cyril, sparked up my old MIG and stuck the hoop permanently in place.

Here's the obligatory workshop shot with flying sparks....

...and the semi finished item.

Started cleaning the welds up and got the rear guard mounting tabs and rear subframe gussets to weld, think I'll have a practice and do them myself....this MIG lark looks a piece of piss ;)

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #94 on: Mar 28, 2016, 15:37:23 »
Good day today, got some done and very pleased with the results...considering it's my first time MIG welding. I've not gone crazy cleaning the welds down to zero, I've left some weld in place, it's on the inside of the fram and won't be seen heheh.

First mock up....

The eagle eyed amongst you lot will notice the mounting tab holes are not aligned....that's 'cos the used guard mounting holes were not aligned either...rather than drill multi holes I thought to just use what was there. Again, all under the seat and out of sight.

The indicators mount through a small web I made and should work OK, snug fit and not too obvious....they need final fettling to get them horizontal.

The forward guard mounting point is a single long bolt through the airfilter box...works well enough, I'll find a spacer in due course.

Gloss black rattle can top coat over a zinc base....proper shed paint job ;)

Couldn't resist a quick mock up with it in paint....anyone who spots a fault will get a poke in the eye haha!

Pleased with my day's efforts....loads still to do, but this stage is a major step forward.

Thanks for checking in.

Offline Kanticoy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #95 on: Mar 29, 2016, 23:54:53 »
Looks great NR!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get not knowing, but I can't for the life of me understand not trying. It's only metal it can be fixed. Man up and risk a mistake in exchange for a lesson.
'

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #96 on: Apr 18, 2016, 18:43:51 »
Masking....

I'm getting frustrated by the lack of progress on this project....sooo......I will dedicate 2-3 hours per end of the day for 3-4 days per week and all day Saturdays for the next 3-4 weeks (where possible, as I do have commitments) to move forward.

Order information
Order Reference No: 215534
2 x Brake pads, Front (9.00) - 18.00
1 x Brake pads, Rear (15.00) - 15.00
1 x Oil filter (8.50) - 8.50
1 x 10W/40 4-stroke semi-synthetic motorcycle oil, 4 Litres (18.95) - 18.95
1 x Black VHT spray paint (4.95) - 4.95

Total: 65.40
Delivery: 5.85
Total inc VAT: 85.50

Let's see how I get on.

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #97 on: Apr 18, 2016, 18:44:17 »
Looks great NR!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Kanty :-)

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #98 on: Apr 19, 2016, 12:45:01 »
Very small progress notice.

Used carbs turned up, need a slider/diaphragm out of one choke, total cost 30 delivered = result. One fella on fleabay wanted 23 for a pair of sliders alone...get the fuck out of here mate!!

Awaiting David Silver delivery of brake pads/oil/filter/VHT etc :)

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #99 on: Apr 28, 2016, 19:37:07 »
For the sake of an update:

Had evening on the wire wheel, not bad considering the size/shape of it....

Before:

After:

Burnished rather than polished.

Engine is halfway painted (I'll post an image when it's complete).....I have located steel tube to make mudguard stays...looking to relocate the ignition switch....brake pads are in so I can rebuild the wheels/hubs etc. Seat has a change of plan, original upholsterer had to stop work due to a bereavement and family commitments, but I have found another local guy who does work for Williams F1, hope to have it back within 2-3 weeks. That's all for now.....