www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: CBX550-Brat/urban scrambler on a budget  (Read 50731 times)

Offline NoRiders

Re: CBX550-Brat/urban scrambler on a budget
« Reply #30 on: Dec 17, 2015, 04:19:18 »
We didn't get the CBX550 in the US.  I think Canada got them, but basically they were an up-sized CBX400....which we also didn't get

The CBX Nighthawk was the US version, more a cruiser than the sportsbike it was in Europe. The family of CBXs includes the 550 (baby 4x cylinder), 750 ( 4x cylinder) and the iconic 1000 6x cylinder mentalist machine.

Thanx for the offer of a shock, but if it has to be resealed and modified I could do that to a UK sourced shock for beer money to be honest. they're on the bay for $30-40.

I can revisit the stock shock which, although potentially 33yrs old, may still be OK? I have removed the gaitor which should go back together.

Lots to think about....thanks for your continued interest in my modest project.

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #31 on: Dec 17, 2015, 16:49:15 »
the stock shock should be fine with a few good flushes and oil change i think the only major hurtle getting inside one is compressing and releasing the spring tension without killing or maiming ones self
it must have a port that you could use  to drain or fill though or drill and tap the cannister for a 1/4 or 1/8 inch pipe fitting  8)

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #32 on: Dec 17, 2015, 17:35:04 »
the stock shock should be fine with a few good flushes and oil change i think the only major hurtle getting inside one is compressing and releasing the spring tension without killing or maiming ones self
it must have a port that you could use  to drain or fill though or drill and tap the cannister for a 1/4 or 1/8 inch pipe fitting  8)

Haha.....thanks, i'll let you know how I get on.  ;)

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #33 on: Dec 18, 2015, 06:28:06 »

I can't find shock absorber flushing oil, can I use rubber friendly thinners (non cellulose)? Nor can I find a drain plug....so it looks like I'll be drilling and tapping my own hole. Unless you have a spare hole XB, I'll pay shipping and taxes? Or are you talking out of all of them?  :P

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #34 on: Dec 18, 2015, 18:02:45 »
welll ive never worked on one of those shocks but have seen 'em had an interceptor 500 same lashup ...
its is just a pretty simple device tho...
post up a few pics from dif angles
i like oderless mineral spirits or bbg brigquete fuel for warshing parts neither one stinks so bad y'know

Offline CBXStan

« Reply #35 on: Dec 20, 2015, 13:53:44 »
you will be happy with converting to the F2 shock if you are 180lbs+. Relocate the top pivot to keep the stock height. The F2 does have a stiffer spring rate but if you set it at the softest you will still have the ideal sag. You will find that it will be much better composed.

If you do this mod along with progressive springs in the front you will be even happier. The progressive springs for a CX650 are a direct fit. Run spacers with 0 air.

Could not find a good pic of the mod but you can see the F2 shock in the background and the relocated pivot on the frame. I still run the stock airbox without interference.

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #36 on: Dec 20, 2015, 16:55:26 »
Thank you CBXStan, just the information I was wanting, excellent report. I was toying with the idea of lengthening the lower mount....any thoughts?

The top mount can be easily relocated, so I am more than happy to carry out that mod. If I'm careful, could I cut the existing mounts off and move them up 40mm? New mounts aren't a problem either.

I'm not sure there is budget for 130s worth of progressives, so they may have to wait?

I'm just about to check out your projects. Cheers Colin

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #37 on: Dec 23, 2015, 20:38:35 »
A little progress made tonight. Well tonight and last week.

Tonight I restored the speedo I snared the other week, came out nice. 10 a couple of hours, a few coats of paint and it's mucho better:

Before:

During:

After: three coats of Wurth Zinc paint and three coats of U-POL satin rattle can black.

Just give it a day and I'll tidy the paint line with a scalpel. It'll do.

The other night I polished a load of nuts n bolts and fittings etc.

Checking out material to make the side panels out of.....more of that later ;)

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #38 on: Dec 24, 2015, 10:46:51 »
Spotted a cool tool box from back in the day at our VW club workshop night. Totally the correct era for my '82 CBX which might have been featured at the London Earl's Court Motorcycle Show :-) I want to own it.

« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2015, 10:49:07 by NoRiders »

Offline lchris21

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • LC Motowerks
« Reply #39 on: Dec 30, 2015, 05:03:56 »
some nice work going on. those wheels are wild.........how times have changed

top job on the seat  :)
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2015, 05:06:01 by lchris21 »