www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: After Market CB550 carbs  (Read 1024 times)

Offline RyanDespres

After Market CB550 carbs
« on: Jan 04, 2016, 13:20:00 »
Hey guys, Does anyone know any aftermarket carbs that will fit the 1977 CB550? I've heard the CR29 or CR26 from DCC may fit but does anyone have experience with these?

Offline surffly

Re: After Market CB550 carbs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2016, 15:12:51 »
CR is the standard for aftermarket carbs these days.
Some try those twin carb set ups, personally I see zero point in them.

DCC is just a reseller of stuff.  DO NOT believe any claims by anyone about "pre jetted"

Offline Slacker

• Ride Fast. Live Well.
    • Dime City Cycles
Re: After Market CB550 carbs
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2017, 11:51:45 »
While it's been a year, and I'm sure you've sorted your carbs by now.... yes CR26 & CR29 would be the "go to" replacement bank on 550; massive improvement over the PDs.
The CRs come "pre-jetted" with a baseline for the model you call out, and while they are highly adjustable, the do often require dialing-in and/or re-jetting for your specific setup. The "pre-jetting" is just an average of the settings that have been known to work best on that model. So the more information you can provide on your bike; motor work, exhaust setup, pods vs. velocity stacks, location (elevation & such), etc., the closer that the "baseline" can be setup. All banks of CRs also come with a little chart/info table showing standard jetting for that CR bank, which helps to compare to your "pre-jet" and dial your bank in specifically for your setup.
On a 550 we'd probably stick with CR26 if the bike had mild modification and is just being run around town and some weekend twistys. If there's been some real motor modifications/upgrades or you plan on running some track days, the CR29s will be better suited.