big long tank

mexipike

So I'm still rolling around ideas for a gas tank seat combo for an xs650 build. I came across the bike below and really like the huge ass tank. I emailed the guy and he told me it was off of a read titan cb750. Good to know, but that tank seems really hard to find on ebay for a reasonable price (think cheap). Any ideas on other real big tanks that can be easily obtained???

I'm hoping to find a cheap CB750F (mid-70s) tank for my CL450. They seem kind of long. Hammer in some knee dents and it would be bitchin.

c643_12.JPG

mexipike said:
So I'm still rolling around ideas for a gas tank seat combo for an xs650 build. I came across the bike below and really like the huge ass tank. I emailed the guy and he told me it was off of a read titan cb750. Good to know, but that tank seems really hard to find on ebay for a reasonable price (think cheap). Any ideas on other real big tanks that can be easily obtained???

That's one mean looking XS650, I want to get my hands on one. Have you thought just having the XS650 tank modified? I had my CB350 tank modified and it didn't cost that much to do it. Here are some pics of the before and after:

After.jpg

Here is the same tank
IMG00085.jpg

Tank and tail painted
IMG00126.jpg

Assembled, but till today the bike needs more work, haven't touched it in a while.
IMG00165.jpg

I gave up looking and bidding for tanks.

mexipike said:

Want a Chromed gs450 tank?..
RElatively cheaper than chroming a tank...

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=5988.0

Cafe_to_go said:
That's one mean looking XS650, I want to get my hands on one. Have you thought just having the XS650 tank modified? I had my CB350 tank modified and it didn't cost that much to do it. Here are some pics of the before and after:

How much did it cost to mod the tank? Ballpark? "didn't cost that much" is a relative term.

Flugtechnik said:
How much did it cost to mod the tank? Ballpark? "didn't cost that much" is a relative term.

I cannot put a price on the tank becaus it came with the bike, but I paid about $200 for the modification and painting of the three items. I was comparing the cost to airtech fiberglass tank and ohio cafe racer alum. gas tank (both tanks are unpainted), even some OEM tanks on ebay are way over priced, I didn't want a tank that costed more then what I paid for the bike. I am thinking the same way for rearsets, I haven't bought any because of the cost.

Flugtechnik said:
"didn't cost that much" is a relative term.

LOL.. I agree..
Try to find a plater who will chrome a used gas tank!!!..
When you do find one, and after all their humming and hawing and complaints about how a used tank will "ruin" their batch of liquid chrome etc..etc..
you'll find yourself with a $1000 quote!!..

It's hard to see in your pics, but was the back of your tank steel or fiberglass?,and does it function(larger capacity),,,,nice tank :eek:

Wee Todd said:
It's hard to see in your pics, but was the back of your tank steel or fiberglass?,and does it function(larger capacity),,,,nice tank :eek:

It's steel and a hollow extenstion, the underside of the extenstion houses the electronics and the seat cowl houses the battery.

IMG00092.jpg

IMG00090.jpg

oh, nice. I was considering doing something like that, but didnt know where to start. That makes a lot of sense though that the mod wouldnt cost that much since he isnt extending the actual tank. I might have to try and find a shop to do the same thing for me..

im gonna get flamed for saying this.... but what about *faux* extending the tank? kinda like what cafe_to_go did, but just welding on the new cowl piece to the tank and finishing it up with some 'glass? oh man im gonna get owned....

brewtown16 said:
im gonna get flamed for saying this.... but what about *faux* extending the tank? kinda like what cafe_to_go did, but just welding on the new cowl piece to the tank and finishing it up with some 'glass? oh man im gonna get owned....

to my own stupidity, i didnt see the last pic. FML

Wee Todd said:
Thats is smarts

yeah what he said!!! :eek:

I have to try that, but since I don't have those metal skils I'll have to try it with glass...

good one Cafe_to_go!

so if you were to try to do a "faux tank extension," using fiber glass, how would you go about securing the glass to the metal tank? If you just lay the glass on top of the tank it wont bond to the metal will it?

boomshakalaka said:
so if you were to try to do a "faux tank extension," using fiber glass, how would you go about securing the glass to the metal tank? If you just lay the glass on top of the tank it wont bond to the metal will it?

That’s a good question!

Might have to weld some sort of sheet metal lip or something around the section of the tank where you’re going to make contact with the glass to give it something to bite into first…

lol, shit I forgot I posted here and started a new thread about this.. doh..

anyways I just went and googled it, and it seems the only way to do it so that the glass holds forever would be to wrap the entire tank in a glass "skin." Otherwise thermal dynamics always wins.

Back
Top Bottom