www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: CB650 Swedish Cafe  (Read 4615 times)

Offline DohcBikes

• Fuck You.
Re: CB650 Swedish Cafe
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2016, 15:38:39 »
If the guides are good and seats+valves are fresh there is really no need to machine them is there?
One of the best ways to gain power is through a 5 angle valve job. He seems to have access to some nice machines, so I did jump to the conclusion that he will have his seats cut.

In any event, the only time it is practical to lap valves is if the valves are new, and the seats are not. And so when we take that into consideration, we should realize that what we are doing at that point, is asking a new valve to make nice with an old seat, and we are effectively shortening the life of the new valve AND sometimes  the seat.

Personally, I dont really see the point to putting new valves in an engine unless they are really bad, and in that case the seats likely are wide and cupped just like the valves are. When you slam a new valve in there and immediately grind it to match the old seat, well, you tell me what happens.

Now granted, if thats the combo, then at least light lapping is almost a must, but it will never seal as well as new valve, fresh cut seat.

With a new valve, a new guide and a fresh 3 or 5 angle, done on a SERDI with air float centering, lapping the valves has been proven to increase wear and decrease power.

I'm not sure whether he has new valves with old seats, old valves and old seats, or new valves with new seats. I'm interested to hear more.
burning bridges sometimes light the most productive paths

Offline datadavid

« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2016, 15:52:34 »
One of the best ways to gain power is through a 5 angle valve job. He seems to have access to some nice machines, so I did jump to the conclusion that he will have his seats cut.

In any event, the only time it is practical to lap valves is if the valves are new, and the seats are not. And so when we take that into consideration, we should realize that what we are doing at that point, is asking a new valve to make nice with an old seat, and we are effectively shortening the life of the new valve AND sometimes  the seat.

Personally, I dont really see the point to putting new valves in an engine unless they are really bad, and in that case the seats likely are wide and cupped just like the valves are. When you slam a new valve in there and immediately grind it to match the old seat, well, you tell me what happens.

Now granted, if thats the combo, then at least light lapping is almost a must, but it will never seal as well as new valve, fresh cut seat.

With a new valve, a new guide and a fresh 3 or 5 angle, done on a SERDI with air float centering, lapping the valves has been proven to increase wear and decrease power.

I'm not sure whether he has new valves with old seats, old valves and old seats, or new valves with new seats. I'm interested to hear more.
Yea, well, lapping the valves IS wear so.. but yes, of he can do it why not? Everything looks fresh in pics but who knows?

Offline DohcBikes

• Fuck You.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2016, 15:57:49 »
Yea, well, lapping the valves IS wear so..
Yep that's why I don't like to see people do it unneccessarily.
burning bridges sometimes light the most productive paths

Offline DanielK

« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2016, 11:51:46 »
Unfortunately I don't have access to a machine to do a valve job :/ New valves are a job for next winter. My budget is a bit limited right now. :/
--Daniel
CB650 -80

Offline DanielK

« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2016, 11:54:29 »
I got some black paint to se if the tank was smooth... It was darkgrey metallic. Looks nice so I'll keep it that way :)

--Daniel
CB650 -80

Offline DanielK

« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2016, 08:23:59 »
Slowly getting there.... Clip-on:s mounted

--Daniel
CB650 -80

Offline DanielK

« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2016, 17:03:21 »
Seat in the making... Think I will make a few versions :/

--Daniel
CB650 -80

Offline DanielK

« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2016, 15:26:09 »
Trying my rfid ignition lock

/CB650 -80
--Daniel
CB650 -80

Offline DanielK

CB650 Swedish Cafe
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2016, 16:32:09 »
Did some wiring today. Whats left is starter button to solenoid and voltage regulator. After that I'll put all the cables in some sleves. Hopefully this bike is on the road within a month :)

« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2016, 17:20:27 by DanielK »
--Daniel
CB650 -80

Offline dmable44

« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2016, 18:33:53 »
Good progress!
'81 CB650