1976 GMC Motorhome

"Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic."

Whoops..If that doesn't just make ya cringe.

Okay so where the hell was I?
No clue.

Anyway, we've made a bunch of progress on this thing. It's (like I think i already said?) a TON of work. Several thousand manhours in so far.
But yesterday we hit a real milestone. We finished the Building Phase.
All of the cabinets, bathroom, seating, bedroom etc is finished.
This bedroom was the finishing touch on the woodwork.

I have no good photos but here's a teaser I'll try to take some decent ones today.

Next up is finish work. Lots of it.

I really planned on taking photos of everything and doing a detailed log, but it would be 500 pages long with 15000 photos so I said fuckit and just put my head down and built stuff.

Plan is to be up and rolling by march for shakedown. We plan on driving it out to Grand Teton to get married this coming July, so we've got a solid deadline to stick to.

Attachments

• IMG_20170128_171452725-1336x1002.jpg
    IMG_20170128_171452725-1336x1002.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_20170128_165959746-1336x1002.jpg
    IMG_20170128_165959746-1336x1002.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 291
Update number 2:

I am now officially a total douchbag. I hate myself and you should to.
But really though, other than pinning my 400F around the track at barber this is the most fun I have had on a motorcycle.

Attachments

• VZM.IMG_20170126_161721.jpg
    VZM.IMG_20170126_161721.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 271
Here's some pictures that I have.

This is the "dinette". We don't like a traditional dinette booth thing so i came up with this, 95% of the time it will just be a big couch lounge thing and then the table lifts up if you want to eat at a table. I've since added a nice curved section to that big open hole in the back corner. The big hole in the front is now a big drawer that houses the beer cooler.
Lots of storage underneath as well as space for a bigass subwoofer :D
wp-1477344220149.jpg

Here's how it was made:
wp-1476996255761.jpg

wp-1476996261810.jpg

These are the side cabinets, they are made from 1 piece of wood.
wp-1476996277617.jpg

This is the bathroom wall with an acrylic frosted window and a wine rack
img_20160822_190303870.jpg

Thanks dudes.
I think once this is done it's back to bikes for a while, this is just too damn much work!

Beautiful work. The wine niche is a nice touch. Did you consider using a bendable plywood on the dinette corner radius (one that doesn't require kerf cuts)? I've never done a radius like that but I'd like to try it on some custom kitchen cabinets.

iatethepeach said:
Beautiful work. The wine niche is a nice touch. Did you consider using a bendable plywood on the dinette corner radius (one that doesn't require kerf cuts)? I've never done a radius like that but I'd like to try it on some custom kitchen cabinets.

Thanks,
The wine was a last minute decision because the water valve was hige so the wall ended up being way too thick, so we needed to use the space
I considered it, but all it is is kerfed core, so the added expense was not something I cared to deal with when I have a CNC that will make the kerfs for me in a few minutes. I'll go back and fill the kerfs in the final finishing stage so you won't know they are there once they are veneered over. A little more work but saved me several trips to the lumber store.

Thanks man!
I used the same technique to curve the entire rear area in the back bed area as well.
Learned it from researching teardrop trailer builds of all things

Nice work, glad you are still alive and kicking and don't feel bad about the BMW, I'd have one if I have the scratch.

Redbird said:
This is not an Update ::)

Lookin good Joostan. Can't wait to see it in person :)

HA!
I was waiting for that, but you're right no real update, just completely official now where before it was just assumed by all.

Great work! I plan on refurbing & customizing an old camper someday. Do miss having a CNC at my disposal to pump out parts though ;D

Sonic, love the cabinets in the back of your coach, ironically I'm on the GMC Net...I was looking for the cockpit cup holder pictures and found you here too...what filler did you use, I'm mounting an aux evaporator below the window on both sides and will need to modify my side panels...would like to something like the cup holders too...I have a 73 Canyonlands...but also have been rebuilding a 65 Yamaha YDS3c scrambler. Got my frame powder coated, most of the shiny bits ready, need someone to paint my tins (ying-yang style tank) although it's an early vin (complete with notched pistons) I want to make it a cafe, I can never leave anything alone, like my wife's 66 mustang with the tripower, 6 cyl. Cool to see your handiwork...you should share it over at Gmcnet, despite all the old guys, there are a lot of new members migrating from fb...

Hey Sean,
Small internet world!
I used standard body filler for the cupholders.

Huge milestone this weekend. Spent countless hours taping and got the interior painted!
IMG_20170213_201456195-1002x1336.jpg

Back
Top Bottom