www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: 1976 GMC Motorhome  (Read 27944 times)

Offline JustinLonghorn

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • No Purple Hearts, No Blue Ribbons
Re: 1976 GMC Motorhome
« Reply #50 on: Mar 21, 2016, 11:20:29 »
Agreed. Love me some vintage motorhomes and campers.
I'm going to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

Into The Sunset, CB750 build

TT500 the Animal

Offline wahvtec

« Reply #51 on: Mar 21, 2016, 11:44:21 »
From there I spent a ton of time with a sawzall removing all the 40 yr old insulation. This was a HUGE bitch, and will never be repeated. If I do this again, I will simply spray over the old foam with new to fill in the shitty factory job. Way more work than it's worth.

You just have to remove it asbestos you can...
1969 CB350 (barn bike) (sold)
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=59079.0ooo

1998 Yamaha Riva XC125.  Gotta scoot.

1982 xl185.  "In progress"

Offline Flugtechnik

• My bike is not transportation, it is a respite
    • Nixon and Me
« Reply #52 on: Mar 21, 2016, 12:03:47 »
 ::)

Offline SONIC.

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
« Reply #53 on: Mar 21, 2016, 13:32:01 »

Offline SONIC.

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #54 on: Mar 21, 2016, 13:37:35 »
The old AC units began to bug me. They are a bit loud the amp draw is a bit higher than I wanted (20) and I hated the way they looked up there.
So I got 2 Coleman Mach8 low profile ones to replace them. Got a hell of a deal on them.
They are longer and thinner than the stock ones so I had to mount the rear one backwards, but it shouldn't matter as it won't be run when we are moving anyway.

The moral of this post it I have 2 perfectly function AC units sitting in my shop. If anyone wants them they are yours.

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #55 on: Mar 21, 2016, 22:21:10 »
This is really cool bud.

Offline Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #56 on: Mar 21, 2016, 23:07:07 »

"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."

Offline ridesolo

• "Illegitimi non carborundum"
« Reply #57 on: Mar 22, 2016, 12:26:31 »
During my time in the Air Force I was stationed in Germany for five years.  During that time I was able to come back to the States a couple of times on AF space available flights, usually on a big C-5A.  On those planes the passenger compartment is way up at the top behind the wing root and the cargo area is just a big, ol' cave.  On one trip back the only thing in the cargo area was one of these GMC motorhomes that the Loadmaster told me had been used as a field office during exercises by some Army general.  Wonder if it really was an Urban Assault Vehicle?   ;D  8) 
“Fight on and fly on to the last drop of blood and the last drop of fuel, to the last beat of the heart.”
— Baron Manfred von Richthofen

Please check out:  http://www.VetTix.org

These are on a low simmer out in the shop:
'75 Honda CL360: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=56547.0
'70 Rupp Roadster: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=67459.0

Offline SONIC.

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #58 on: Mar 23, 2016, 10:10:53 »
Ha Tim,
Yes Stripes is where everyone knows these things from for sure.

Solo,
that's pretty damn cool, they were used all over for everything from mobile offices to ambulances to postal delivery vehicles.

Offline SONIC.

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #59 on: Mar 23, 2016, 10:16:13 »
So after the AC's were sorted it was time to work on the inside a bit.

Got the generator casing installed and covered in dynamat like material to help kill the noise of the generator and reflect the heat.

For the propane compartment I decided early to ditch the built in tank in favor of 2 20lb grill cylinders. I lose a little capacity, but I can fill them anywhere or just trade them out at any gas station. A LOT more convenient than trying to find a LP dealer or RV dealer in an unfamiliar place. This presented some problems because the propane compartment wasnt quite big enough to hold both tanks AND the batteries. So i tossed the old one and built a new one. It required beinding some plywood to get the back to sit against the body, but no big deal otherwise. Now I have ample space for 2 LP tanks, 4 batteries, and some other goodies.

The stock compartment basically stopped at the back of the door, so the new one gives me an additional foot and a half or so to put the second tank in the left side of the compartment.