www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Another XV750 Cafe Build...how original, right?  (Read 7555 times)

Offline cole.pinnow

Another XV750 Cafe Build...how original, right?
« on: Mar 22, 2016, 02:34:09 »
Hey guys! Just picked up another project! This will be my first bike build, so please play nice. Ever since seeing Greg Hageman's Virago cafe build, I fell in love with the mono-shock Virago. So surprise, surprise, I will be using his bikes as models for my build. I also really, really like nuckingfuts' build as well as T.Stanley's build.

Here are some pictures of the bike the day I got it...picked it up off of eBay for a decent price for a running bike.

It's "only" got around 20,000 miles on it, and came with aftermarket head pipes, and stock Harley Davidson slip-ons.
First thing to do was order new carb boots - these have definitely seen better days, and were very boogered up with RTV.

I've got the crazy box of rocks starter problems, so I started with the starter itself. Most people shim the starter, but instead I did the set-screw idea.

Once I get back from spring break I will be pulling the crank case cover off, so I can look at the #2 idler gear. Hopefully it's not too trashed, and I plan on putting a small hose clamp on the clip to tighten it up around the bendix gear. I haven't decided if I should order a new #2 idler gear.

So far I have ordered:
Avon grips
New air and oil filters, as well as 10W-40 Yamalube
Progressive springs
15W fork oil
Tarozzi clip-ons and rearsets
All Balls fork and dust seals
Shorai Battery
New Spark plugs
Stator cover gasket

I plan on using a Motolanna seat, and hopefully building my own subframe. I'm in college (mechanical engineering), so I have access to SolidWorks - so I'm hoping I can figure something out with a few measurements and some time.

Updates to follow!

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
Re: Another XV750 Cafe Build...how original, right?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2016, 06:28:49 »
here's a suggestion - get your bars and rearsets in place before you make up the seat / subframe. You will then be able to get a comfortable ergonomic relationship between all three elements.

Just arrange some support for your butt [ piece of wood ? ] and raise lower it until your hands / elbows / knees relationship is comfortable and not cramped.
"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left "

"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"

Offline cole.pinnow

« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2016, 19:00:01 »
here's a suggestion - get your bars and rearsets in place before you make up the seat / subframe. You will then be able to get a comfortable ergonomic relationship between all three elements.

Just arrange some support for your butt [ piece of wood ? ] and raise lower it until your hands / elbows / knees relationship is comfortable and not cramped.

That's a great idea. Thanks!

Offline XVRacer

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2016, 19:51:53 »
That is an Arrowhead 4 brush start from Taiwan. It's pretty good, doesn't need to be shimmed.

The box of rocks sound is from the idler gear smashing into the flywheel gear. Make sure the idler gear teeth are in good shape and spring clips wire do hickies are still there.

Lastly make sure your battery is in tip top condition.

Looking forward to seeing what you have planned.

Offline Weasel

• 3rd generation rider
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2016, 20:56:37 »
Looks like a good choice for a project bike. Good luck.

Offline cole.pinnow

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2016, 01:08:56 »
That is an Arrowhead 4 brush start from Taiwan. It's pretty good, doesn't need to be shimmed.

The box of rocks sound is from the idler gear smashing into the flywheel gear. Make sure the idler gear teeth are in good shape and spring clips wire do hickies are still there.

Looking forward to seeing what you have planned.

Wish I would have known that before I drilled and tapped it, but oh well  I guess. lol. As far as teeth, yeah I will check them out and order a new one if needed. Possibly order new clips as well.

Offline coyote13

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2016, 11:44:59 »

DEFINITELY check this out before you go buying a bunch of parts or modifying anything.  Thought the starter was going on my Sportster a couple years back, turned out to be a battery on its way out.  Didn't have enough juice to really kick the starter, so the gears would just kinda grind over together and sound like all hell breaking loose.  Sometimes it's the simplest things.
Half the fun's in the get there...

Offline cole.pinnow

« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2016, 02:51:42 »
Came back to a few packages after spring break...

What is this? Is there a gasket/seal that can be replaced (PN?)? It is leaking like a sieve... I have looked all over the place and can't find what it's called.

Offline cole.pinnow

« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2016, 02:52:57 »
Not bike related but...

Washed, clay bar-ed (barred?), and waxed my car the other day. Mmmm.

Only to wake up to this. Thanks Wisconsin...

A picture of my girlfriend's driver's side mirror from that same day...

Offline LateralSage

« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2016, 12:39:46 »
I feel you with the weather.  I pulled the old Goat out of the shed, got a new battery, started and drove it to class/work only to find out it was supposed to snow for the next week in Michigan.  Gotta love it hahaha
1972 Honda cb350