www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Another XV750 Cafe Build...how original, right?  (Read 7196 times)

Offline Virago1113

Re: Another XV750 Cafe Build...how original, right?
« Reply #10 on: Apr 06, 2016, 21:42:06 »

What is this? Is there a gasket/seal that can be replaced (PN?)? It is leaking like a sieve... I have looked all over the place and can't find what it's called.

on the oil leak...that is your oil sensor. If you look at my thread at the beginning you can see that mine leaked bad. My O-ring was torn. Easy cheap fix but getting the sensor out wasn't fun. If I remember correctly it was a pain to get out cause there is no way to grab it and pull...but i could be wrong...it was 3 years ago...

On the weather...I hear you. I am north of Syracuse about 40 miles and i want get out and powder and paint but I have an un-insulated garage. I can do some things but not everything I want to. It will get nice as soon as work sends me out of town. The weather will stay cold while I am home and in the office.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1982/VIRAGO+750+-+XV750J/ELECTRICAL+1/parts.html

part #37. No O-ring part number for some reason. I think I found the solution on the virago forum. Google it.
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2016, 22:01:48 by Virago1113 »
"If you rode the Black Shadow at top speed for any length of time, you would almost certainly die."

Hunter S. Thompson

Offline cole.pinnow

« Reply #11 on: Apr 06, 2016, 23:06:39 »
on the oil leak...that is your oil sensor. If you look at my thread at the beginning you can see that mine leaked bad. My O-ring was torn. Easy cheap fix but getting the sensor out wasn't fun. If I remember correctly it was a pain to get out cause there is no way to grab it and pull...but i could be wrong...it was 3 years ago...

On the weather...I hear you. I am north of Syracuse about 40 miles and i want get out and powder and paint but I have an un-insulated garage. I can do some things but not everything I want to. It will get nice as soon as work sends me out of town. The weather will stay cold while I am home and in the office.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1982/VIRAGO+750+-+XV750J/ELECTRICAL+1/parts.html

part #37. No O-ring part number for some reason. I think I found the solution on the virago forum. Google it.

Sweet! That's exactly what I was looking for. The part was called something like "protector" on bikebandit, which didn't help.

Offline Virago1113

« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2016, 08:41:59 »
Sweet! That's exactly what I was looking for. The part was called something like "protector" on bikebandit, which didn't help.

Yeah the protector is in the Crankcase micro fiche, the sensor is in electrical. The protector is exactly what it is called...for the oil level sensor. Don't mess it up removing it. They are like $150.

I totally forget how I found my O-ring but this may also help...

http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29570&p=287937#p287937
"If you rode the Black Shadow at top speed for any length of time, you would almost certainly die."

Hunter S. Thompson

Offline cole.pinnow

« Reply #13 on: Apr 07, 2016, 12:27:46 »
Yeah the protector is in the Crankcase micro fiche, the sensor is in electrical. The protector is exactly what it is called...for the oil level sensor. Don't mess it up removing it. They are like $150.

I totally forget how I found my O-ring but this may also help...

http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29570&p=287937#p287937

Yeah...found that too. Thanks again. I ordered a bunch of stuff from partzilla last night but forgot the o-ring (mentioned in aforementioned thread). Tried cancelling it like 3 minutes after placing (around 11pm, so after hours), so I didn't receive a response until this morning stating it was already in shipping and they couldn't cancel. Total BS in my opinion...I'll be making a trip to Harbor Freight then I guess. I'm not paying insane shipping/prices on one o-ring.

Offline cole.pinnow

« Reply #14 on: Apr 10, 2016, 16:19:36 »
Friday I starting pulling out the wiring harness to go the barebones route that TRV has so graciously provided us with. It sure was a PITA to get off with the carbs still on the bike. After opening the headlight, it was clear someone had been messing with the wiring before because there were wire nuts (ones that were the wrong size to begin with) everywhere. I got (what I hope to be done correctly) the wiring harness today. I want to upgrade the power wire to 4 gauge, just have to figure out which part of that needs to be changed out yet. Should I just send the 4 gauge (power +) from the battery to the starter switch, then to the starter motor? Or  replace all power wire post main fuse (from fuse to R/R and On/Off switch)? Here's the wiring for powering the bike. Any help appreciated (AKA, outline for me on this diagram what I need to switch to 4 gauge LOL!).

Here is the mess of wires eliminated.

Offline cole.pinnow

« Reply #15 on: Apr 10, 2016, 19:23:14 »
Nevermind...found my own answer by using my eyes and looking at the bike logically... lol

Offline palepainter

« Reply #16 on: Apr 10, 2016, 20:32:57 »
Thanks for that diagram Cole.  We are rolling down the same path with our builds.  Looking forward to seeing more here. 

Offline cole.pinnow

« Reply #17 on: Apr 11, 2016, 23:54:46 »
Thanks for that diagram Cole.  We are rolling down the same path with our builds.  Looking forward to seeing more here.

I think you'll find this one useful as well then  ;)

Offline cole.pinnow

« Reply #18 on: Apr 29, 2016, 00:53:49 »

Getting there.

Offline cole.pinnow

« Reply #19 on: Apr 29, 2016, 01:01:39 »

Since lowering the forks 2 inches, I had to also shorten the side stand. I got real technical and took off two finger widths, which in my opinion worked out perfectly. It's been a while, but I was still able to lay a good weld. I also had to buy a new brake reservoir/master cylinder because it didn't fit with the clip-ons. The first replacement I bought didn't fit, so I ordered one with a more remote reservoir. It's on the way from China so we'll see how well it works. I really didn't want to cheap out on this, but couldn't afford the one I wanted.