Emgo universal switch modification/review

scottscb

I purchased this switch from DCC. http://www.dimecitycycles.com/chrome-retro-horn-headlight-and-starter-control-switch.html. It is an Emgo switch part number: 46-68900. The switch I received would not perform the advertised functions. After an un-answered email to tech support I modified the switch to make it work for what I need. The switch is missing a wire that it needed to work properly.

Two of the contacts are connected underneath, I wanted these contacts to be my outputs for the 3 position part of the switch. This is what Ill use to control high and low beam and . I used a drill bit to drill through the connector piece on the bottom of the switch that connected the two outputs. I then relocated the red wire to the actual switch mechanism, this is now my input and the yellow and orange are the outputs for the high and low beam. The orange wire was added in and had to be soldered in since there was no pre-drilled hole or set screw to hold the wire in place

One of the green or black wires had to be re-located as well I forget which, but when the momentary button was pressed it was making contact with a terminal that didn't have a wire connected to it. I plan to use the two momentary buttons for horn and kill.

Over all for 15 dollars Id probably buy the switch again now that I know how to modify it. Also be warned that it doesn't come with a diagram. I am not sure what this switch is rated at amperage wise, but it shouldn't matter for my application since I am just running ground through it to trigger relays for each function.

Let me know if there are any questions.

0E6PJ68.jpg

uPjaIuT.jpg

I just realized that in the first picture I hadn't relocated the green wire yet. This is the one that needed moved. It should be in the connector directly to the right of the black wire.

How does that switch work then. I don't proclaim to be an electrical expert by any means but I have a decent understanding wiring and electrical.

OK... so assuming you want the switch to act as your headlight switch, this is what I would do.

Post number two or three gets the power input wire (Black, on a Honda, which I assume if your bike's make, based on your username. Can sometimes also be black/red or blue/white depending on year and configuration).
Post number four is the high beam output (blue wire) and the five is the low beam output (white wire).

Since posts two and three and connected on the underside of the switch, this allows the circuit to be completed in either direction, with the lever attached to post one doing the switching, and conducting the electricity between posts two and four and between three and five.

Middle position is off since the power is not conducted to either post four or five.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 183
Back
Top Bottom