www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Yamaha SR250 Power and Temperature Testing  (Read 23187 times)

Offline Eleganten

Re: Yamaha SR250 Power and Temperature Testing
« Reply #30 on: Jun 16, 2016, 19:43:00 »
Gonna follow this one to! A bit to technical for me but I like the design work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JadusMotorcycleParts

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #31 on: Jul 23, 2016, 14:37:04 »
I have been riding the bike quite a bit the last month and documenting the temperature readings - lengthy posts to come.

I never got round to replacing the clutch, but the problem seems to have disappeared nearly entirely...  Could it be that putting this new tech oil in the bike cleaned out a lot of gunk that eventually got caught in the plug trap and the filter?  And now it is grabbing like it should again?  Who knows.  Will still need to be done down the road probably  ::)

Anyway, I installed the finned valve covers for some testing to compare to the stock temps.  I think they look really cool  8)  Especially if the engine was tidied up a little.  Some food for thought though, the exhaust valve cover is shrouded by the frame down tube.  I might mock up a scoop out of sheet metal in the future to route cool air better to it.  For now, testing will be done without it to keep things consistent.

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #32 on: Jul 27, 2016, 15:17:56 »
I calibrated and hooked up the O2 sensor and the air fuel ratio meter today on the XS750 I am tuning.  Everything worked great!  The kit I mean, not the bike.  Was running pretty lean, much tuning to come.

Anyway, this will be the set up I use to get everything dialed in perfectly for the SR.  I cant believe how awesome of an investment this is!  It will save so much time and guess work :)

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #33 on: Jul 27, 2016, 15:26:58 »
I calibrated and hooked up the O2 sensor and the air fuel ratio meter today on the XS750 I am tuning.  Everything worked great!  The kit I mean, not the bike.  Was running pretty lean, much tuning to come.

Anyway, this will be the set up I use to get everything dialed in perfectly for the SR.  I cant believe how awesome of an investment this is!  It will save so much time and guess work :)

Nice Innovate gear.  I use a similar gauge coupled to a PL1 data logger and with Aux box and TC4. 

That Lambda sensor is too close to the end of the pipe and will read lean.  What we often fail to realize is that an exhaust pipe pulses several times in each revolution and as it does that it sucks air into the tailpipe which makes it read leaner than it really is.  Get another bung and weld it it in just in front of the muffler or into the muffler body pointing up and under the motor, so it is invisible and cap it after setting the jetting.
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2016, 15:28:48 by teazer »

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #34 on: Jul 29, 2016, 13:19:36 »
I know you're right teazer :)  It is not in the optimal location... perhaps far from it.

Although the reason is two fold, I want it to be portable/removable/re-usable on different bikes, plus I dont want to weld in a bung in an exhaust system that is later not going to have an O2 sensor mounted. 

The O2 sensor actually reads fine as soon as the bike is off idle and there is enough exhaust flow.  As long as I ignore the false lean readings at idle and just continue to tune the pilot circuit up to 1/8th throttle and then all the way through, I think it will be much more accurate than plug chopping.  To get the idle mixture/setting right I will just use old school methods  ;)

I also figured if Innovate sell and suggest using this thing, there cant be too much wrong with my set up? 

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #35 on: Aug 06, 2016, 05:57:22 »
I am going in to a different mechanic next week who has a dyno and will try sort out a time to test the exhaust etc, the other guy was dicking me around a bit.

In the mean time, I got sick of riding this bike around bone stock.  So I finally got round to filming some instructional clips for installing the seat and the great outcome of that was...  The Jadus Euclid SR250 Seat is now installed  ;D  Just goes to show what a drastic impact it has on the bike with the seat alone.  Now I'm pretty stoked to be riding this around, despite the ghastly tail light and blinkers.

Installing the seat highlights the mounting angle of the tank - being on a rearward slant.  Next thing to install...  The Jadus Tank Leveling Kit!  Will sort that tank position right out.  Then perhaps a frame loop and some blinkers and a nicer tail light.

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #36 on: Aug 10, 2016, 04:34:38 »
Looks like the 'hot' summer weather in Sweden is over for this year  :'(  We had a couple of weeks of high 20's and even pushed 30 a couple of times.  But now we are coming back down into the low 20's and teens.  On a few of those hot days however I managed to run some back to back tests of the stock valve covers vs the finned ones.  I collected data on a few other days as well when the temps were in the lower 20's.  I have it all plugged into a spreadsheet but I am still trying to figure out the best way to present it - how to lay it out.  In the meantime, here is one hand written table from one afternoon of testing...

I would be confident in saying that the finned valve covers definitely do something.  There is a noticeable, consistent difference in peak oil and head temperatures.  How much?  Not much.  I guess I was hoping for a solid 5 degrees or more difference but that was probably optimistic for a part that contributes to less than 5% of overall engine surface area!  The idea though was that there is a lot of oil that quirts from the cam shaft past the rockers and collects/pools in the valve covers before draining back to the sump.  Anyway, the actual difference was consistently 2-3 degrees cooler with the finned covers in both the oil and head temps than the stock ones.  While the actual temperature of the parts themselves was around 15-20 degrees cooler.

So depending on oil grade/quality and oil temperatures, these covers might help the engine stay inside the oils ideal operating temperatures and away from any temps that would start to break down the oil faster.

All in all, I am somewhat satisfied.  Now gotta work on developing and testing the oil filter cover cooler!

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #37 on: Aug 30, 2016, 11:24:52 »
I have been real busy the past couple weeks getting everything ready for dyno testing.  At the same time I have been making some installation vids for some of the parts:

For example: 

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #38 on: Aug 30, 2016, 11:37:15 »
All the performance parts bolted up pretty easy and I have a few different things I wanna try out - if you have been following my other build thread you will know, but I'll post again here too.

The exhaust is mostly a fixed thing, although I will try different methods in the silencer only to affect back pressure slightly.

The ignition advance brackets are also fixed - at 5-6 degrees extra advance.  These will either work or not work.

Then I have 3 different length intakes I want to try to see what affect they make - see attached.

You can also see the bike as it stands today with all the gear on ready for testing.  Notice the tank levelling kit is not installed yet  ;) ;)  That will come when I make a video for installing it.

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #39 on: Aug 31, 2016, 05:04:38 »
Getting quite anxious about the testing so I decided to dig up some more info on any other period tests I could find...