www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Ugly Goose - Moto Guzzi 850T cafe  (Read 47201 times)

Offline Perter

Re: Ugly Goose - Moto Guzzi 850T cafe
« Reply #220 on: Nov 17, 2016, 05:57:45 »
Cool helmet, I've always wanted that model too.

I have a full-sized head too and like you have problems finding a fullface that fits. I had good experience with bandit alien though and recently bought a LS2 FF396 which fits at least my head well

Offline Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
« Reply #221 on: Mar 15, 2017, 22:26:17 »
Getting the spring bug to work on it again.

Plans are to mount my new bottom mount LED headlight, which will require me to move the brake line junction.

I want to replace the ugly long lines and I was thinking of going with two lines from the master cylinder.
I was also looking for info in how to shorten the forks. I have them dropped in the triple clamps for looks. I don't need them flush with the top triple, but I need to make some space if I go with a double banjo bolt on the front master.

In the mean time, I am collections parts to get working on a XS400 Brat for my wife.

Sent from my iPad using DO THE TON

Offline Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
« Reply #222 on: Mar 25, 2017, 18:12:40 »

I want to install a bottom mount headlight and tuck it in close to the bike.

Is there any reason to NOT drill into the lower triple clamp? I was thinking of making a bracket that would have two bolts attached to the triple and have the light mount to it.

There is some flat space below the clamp, I was originally thinking of tapping the hole and putting  nuts on the bottom.

Will this significantly weaken the part? I was also thinking that I could put the holes at the end of the slots (see pictures).

I can't really use the triple clamp bolts as easily as they are on an angle,  or straight out as on a Harley.

This is going on a 1970's Moto Guzzi.

And yes, I am going to do something about the long brake lines.

Offline Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
« Reply #223 on: Mar 26, 2017, 19:40:31 »
Ok,
So all the brackets that I have seen for sale that require you to drill holes in your triple tree were for sportsters, and they apparently have steel lower triples, not cast aluminum.

I started making a bracket that will use the center bolt and the two triple clamp bolts. I started with some paper.

But then when I went to look for some metal to make it, I came across a metal bracket out of som thinner metal with exactly the right size holes, unfortunately the headlight hole is offset, so there is no way to use it but with just the single bolt, it is very secure and I think it looks great.

Now to make it one of some thicker metal.

Offline CrabsAndCylinders

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Careful With That Axe Eugene
« Reply #224 on: Mar 26, 2017, 22:27:01 »
Are you sure that this thin bracket will not let the headlight bounce up and down.
Lighter, Quicker, Faster.
ZX-14, 900F x 2, 1100F, R100, CBR600, SR500, GT500, RZ350, KZ1000 x 2, Moto Guzzi Lemans lll, CBX550, RD 350, 750 SOHC police special, RG250, TL1000R, GT750, KTM Super Duke 1290 R, Harris/Z-1, Norton 750 Commando, Green 77 KZ650

Online spotty

• Vmax...why,yes i think i will
    • spottys world of vmax (and great danes)
« Reply #225 on: Mar 26, 2017, 23:16:47 »
Are you sure that this thin bracket will not let the headlight bounce up and down.

that's how you get that traditional Italian flickering effect from the headlight whilst still having the benefits of LED technology
short fast loud, three things punk rock and vmaxs have in common

south of the border, down melbourne way

Offline jag767

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Kinesis Moto
« Reply #226 on: Mar 26, 2017, 23:18:38 »
Yea, I would either box out the side and weld it, or go much thicker there.

Offline Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
« Reply #227 on: Mar 26, 2017, 23:58:36 »
No, that thin bracket was just something I found laying around that I bolted up to see if the single bolt would work. It is pretty sturdy, but it moves the headlight off center.  My post had " now to make one out of thicker metal" under the last picture.

I plan to make one up in 3/16" steel. I may weld something on the back that will sit on the top of the lower triple clamp to keep it from going out of level.
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2017, 00:00:55 by Rusnak_322 »

Offline Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
Ugly Goose - Moto Guzzi 850T cafe
« Reply #228 on: Mar 27, 2017, 00:03:29 »
I also was playing with a photo app to try to get some of my pictures to look better. Here is one that I liked, but it came out too dark. I really have zero clue about that stuff.

Offline CrabsAndCylinders

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Careful With That Axe Eugene
« Reply #229 on: Mar 27, 2017, 11:55:23 »
No, that thin bracket was just something I found laying around that I bolted up to see if the single bolt would work. It is pretty sturdy, but it moves the headlight off center.  My post had " now to make one out of thicker metal" under the last picture.

I plan to make one up in 3/16" steel. I may weld something on the back that will sit on the top of the lower triple clamp to keep it from going out of level.
Sorry, I missed that.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using DO THE TON mobile app

Lighter, Quicker, Faster.
ZX-14, 900F x 2, 1100F, R100, CBR600, SR500, GT500, RZ350, KZ1000 x 2, Moto Guzzi Lemans lll, CBX550, RD 350, 750 SOHC police special, RG250, TL1000R, GT750, KTM Super Duke 1290 R, Harris/Z-1, Norton 750 Commando, Green 77 KZ650