www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Ugly Goose - Moto Guzzi 850T cafe  (Read 53094 times)

Offline Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
Re: Ugly Goose - Moto Guzzi 850T cafe
« Reply #260 on: Jul 05, 2017, 18:02:08 »
I use my phone running a app called Waze in my cars and on my other bike and the MPH is spot on to the speedo.

I don't really care too much about accuracy, I haven't been able to set the speedo on my Moto Guzzi to be even close, despite measuring the front wheel diameter twice. It is off by at least 10 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline clem

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • static fluff
« Reply #261 on: Jul 06, 2017, 00:08:57 »
Speedo is one thing but I track my fuel level based off of mileage. That's what is most inaccurate on a GPS when you account for curves and elevation. The speed itself is usually pretty accurate. There's got to be a reason auto manufactures don't use GPS for speed and distance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

"After every war there are soldiers who refuse to surrender. To this day there are still thousands who cling to their 30+ year old motorcycles, thinking that the war is still on, refusing to concede that the four-strokes have won"

1972 DS7 http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45886.msg505995#msg505995
1983 CB550sc bobber http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=30599.30

Offline CrabsAndCylinders

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Careful With That Axe Eugene
« Reply #262 on: Jul 06, 2017, 03:48:25 »
But the GPS uses maps to show your route and wouldn't that allow it to use the known distances between points, like for instance intersections, to calculate mileage.  I don't know much at all about this, so just throwing it out there.
Lighter, Quicker, Faster.
ZX-14, 900F x 2, 1100F, R100, CBR600, SR500, GT500, RZ350, KZ1000 x 2, Moto Guzzi Lemans lll, CBX550, RD 350, 750 SOHC police special, RG250, TL1000R, GT750, KTM Super Duke 1290 R, Harris/Z-1, Norton 750 Commando, Green 77 KZ650

Offline clem

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • static fluff
« Reply #263 on: Jul 06, 2017, 11:17:18 »
A GPS speedometer doesn't use maps. It updates and gets NMEA sentences from the satellites then parses that data to get the speed, coordinates and a host of other things. Your actual mileage is based off of distances between two points. How far apart those two points are will be dictated by the update rate of the GPS module used and of course your moving speed. Download a GPS speedometer app on your phone that tracks mileage and you'll see how far off it can get even on flat curvy roads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

"After every war there are soldiers who refuse to surrender. To this day there are still thousands who cling to their 30+ year old motorcycles, thinking that the war is still on, refusing to concede that the four-strokes have won"

1972 DS7 http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45886.msg505995#msg505995
1983 CB550sc bobber http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=30599.30

Offline CrabsAndCylinders

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Careful With That Axe Eugene
« Reply #264 on: Jul 06, 2017, 17:32:50 »
Thanks, Clem, very interesting.
Lighter, Quicker, Faster.
ZX-14, 900F x 2, 1100F, R100, CBR600, SR500, GT500, RZ350, KZ1000 x 2, Moto Guzzi Lemans lll, CBX550, RD 350, 750 SOHC police special, RG250, TL1000R, GT750, KTM Super Duke 1290 R, Harris/Z-1, Norton 750 Commando, Green 77 KZ650

Offline Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
« Reply #265 on: Jul 10, 2017, 16:19:19 »
FYI - I thought that this was pretty interesting.

GPS Complementary Technologies

The iPhone has several complementary technologies on board that work in conjunction with the GPS chip to master the phone's location.

Accelerometer and Gyroscope: The iPhone has an amazingly small 6-axis gyroscope and accelerometer combination chip on board. The gyroscope tells how your phone is oriented at all times. The accelerometer detects and records motions big and small as inputs the phone can use.

Wi-Fi Tracking: When GPS doesn't work well, such as inside buildings or among tall buildings, Wi-Fi tracking can replace or supplement it. Wi-Fi tracking uses a database of Wi-Fi networks around the world to triangulate the phone's position based on multiple Wi-Fi signals.

Compass: Your iPhone has a digital compass as part of its motion-tracking chip. The compass is used to supplement other motion technologies and to orient any map that you happen to be using. The compass comes into play, for example, when you tap the Maps arrow to orient a map. The Compass may also be used on its own.

Barometer: You might think of a barometer, which measures air pressure, as primarily a weather-prediction device, but it's not used for that purpose on an iPhone. The barometer supplements the GPS chip for measuring elevation changes to create more accurate elevation and elevation-change readings.

M10 Motion Coprocessor: In the iPhone, Apple uses its own M10 motion coprocessor chip to continuously measure data from the accelerometer, compass, gyroscope, and barometer. This offloads work from the A10 Fusion chip for improved power efficiency.

https://www.lifewire.com/iphone-gps-set-up-1683393

Offline Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
« Reply #266 on: Jul 29, 2017, 22:11:56 »
Took some pics today on a ride....

Sent from my iPad using DO THE TON

Offline Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
« Reply #267 on: Jul 30, 2017, 11:46:30 »
While at the Fuel Cleveland motorcycle show, I came out to find this on my seat

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline hidn45

« Reply #268 on: Jul 30, 2017, 15:16:57 »
Indeed, they are correct, sir - can't imagine THAT happens a lot....
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2017, 15:19:53 by hidn45 »
Keep yer knees in the breeze-

Randy

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #269 on: Aug 03, 2017, 15:14:32 »
A question if I may... I think my Guzzi has the same rectifier set up as yours, and like you its confusing me how to wire it up

It has 4 wires going into to it. (see pic)

They are labelled from left to right, the first two have a wave sign, the third a '+' and 'L.E' and the fourth with an open switch sign. Though the '+' sign could be to id another pin which is missing on my rectifier.

There are three wires from the alternator, a grey wire and two yellows, the latter of which I think both go to the rectifier (the first two id with a wave sign).

The grey wire from the alternator I'm told goes directly to the +ve side of the battery, as its already rectified at the alternator.

Which leaves the two connections on the rectifier, the third 'L.E' and the fourth (open switch sign).

My best guess is the fourth connection is to operated a charging idiot light, but the third with the Id 'LE' is a mystery.

My best guess is that it too goes to the +ve side of the battery, so the rectifier can tell when the battery is being over charged and so limit to charge from the alternator.

Can you confirm if this is the case, and if not how you wired up your rectifier?