www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 1981 Suzuki GS450L - Cruiser to Scrambler  (Read 38244 times)

Offline Northish

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • If you know what you're doing, you're not learning
Re: 1981 Suzuki GS450L - Cruiser to Scrambler
« Reply #160 on: Nov 17, 2018, 17:59:10 »
alright thanks for that. if youre running the same carbs/floats and all that as me thats a pretty high fuel level! could be some different stuff though. it seems there are about 3 different settings for the gs450. i think that would be around a 3.5mm fuel level. Im currently at 26.6 with a 6.5mm fuel level. not sure what that means exactly but ive been fighting finding the best height since the manuals are all mixed up..so thanks i may try raising mine a bit. I was thinking that would be way too high but you seem to be running fine on that.
Yeah, I remember there being a lot of differing information on float height for our 450's.  Mine was set to 23.4 mm when I opened it up originally, and then I tried 26.3 mm for awhile based on some info I read somewhere but didn't have much luck, so reverted back to 23.4 mm.

Offline Northish

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • If you know what you're doing, you're not learning
Re: 1981 Suzuki GS450L - Cruiser to Scrambler
« Reply #161 on: Aug 26, 2019, 12:51:41 »
I've gotten a few requests for more detail on how I leveled or re-mounted the tank on the L to get rid of the rake so I'm attaching another angle to hopefully better describe the changes.

There is another photo here with: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70280.msg826423#msg826423

Basically, for the front mount I cut off the factory mounts.  Then I used some metal rod the same diameter as the factory mount and welded a washer on each side so the rubber dampers the tank contacts could be re-used.  That rod was welded just under the frame gusset.

For the rear mount, I cut the factory mount out from the frame rails and used tow pieces of bar stock to "lift" the mount.  Hope this helps shed a little more light.