www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: XS 400 Maxim: To be or not to be..  (Read 1362 times)

Offline NoRiders

Re: XS 400 Maxim: To be or not to be..
« Reply #10 on: Jun 30, 2016, 17:59:11 »
Re: Ducati tank.

I'm all for mods and changes to stock, but I reckon getting the 996 tank to work (look) right will be a challenge. The shape of the tank could look out of place as it's such a particular design (why does it remind me of ET?) and it could be a trick of the lens but is it shorter?

Anyway, good luck with it.

Offline David_W

« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2017, 22:07:58 »
Well guys the project was put on hold for a bit due to school and the CPA exam, but it is now in the sort rows! We ended up getting a guy to handle the carbs and while it was in his shop he went ahead and got the wiring done for the gauges and lights/signals. I finally got to ride it today for the first time in about 8 months what a feeling. I won't lie though.. the bars and seat position are going to be a little bit to get used to. It's comfortable, but different. Even from my racebike. I think it really stems from not having rearsets on it, and I don't see a practical way to put them on this bike.

There are two things left to sort out and then it will be time to get it on the road(legally).
As stated in previous posts above I had a guy that runs a machine shop relocate the fuel valve. He did a great job with it, but there is a leak at the rear bolt that holds the valve into the tank. Maybe a high spot where it doesn't seal quite right? My dad and I are going to try a different gasket to see if that seals it up. A leaky tank would be catastrophic at this stage.

The second thing is that the signals don't blink. I am an electronics noob so I'm at a bit of a loss here. They light up, but they don't blink-the front turn signals as well as the integrated signals on the LED brake light. I feel like there is something I need to add to the circuit to make them blink as there was only a wire running straight from the lights. How far off am I on that conclusion?

Also, sorry for the poor quality and poor quantity of picture. I wasn't really focused on taking pictures.
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2017, 22:10:50 by David_W »

Offline rossnesselrode

« Reply #12 on: Jun 03, 2017, 19:46:29 »
Sorry to revive this thread.... What mods did you have to do to the subframe to get the seat to fit? Looking into one of these bikes and trying figure out how difficult it would be to mount a cafe/tracker style seat instead of the big marshmallow. Kind of new to cutting into subframe.