www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: The Amalgam: honda past meets present, take 2! or 3?  (Read 28362 times)

Offline xulf13

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • West of Tennessee
Re: Fuel injected Cb450 build
« Reply #20 on: Jun 06, 2016, 13:14:05 »
These

http://m.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CB-450-CB450-FORGED-RACING-PISTON-BIG-BORE-74MM-/261475767673?nav=SEARCH
Yeah I saw those also and almost went that route. I heard mixed reviews about boring the stock sleeves that much. But there is a guy with a Cb500T that used those pistons with success and even has a video of it running 6 months or so after the modifications. He did a lot of research and made a few other modifications and pretty much has a 550 twin now.

I wanted a daily with a little more pep,
I didn't want to compromise reliability for long trips, which is what I build my bike for. But maybe that bike is good even for long trips..?

Check out chinonthetank.com for his build. Some pretty good stuff.

Offline jag767

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Kinesis Moto
« Reply #21 on: Jun 06, 2016, 13:20:12 »
Yeah I saw those also and almost went that route. I heard mixed reviews about boring the stock sleeves that much. But there is a guy with a Cb500T that used those pistons with success and even has a video of it running 6 months or so after the modifications. He did a lot of research and made a few other modifications and pretty much has a 550 twin now.

I wanted a daily with a little more pep,
I didn't want to compromise reliability for long trips, which is what I build my bike for. But maybe that bike is good even for long trips..?

Check out chinonthetank.com for his build. Some pretty good stuff.

Yeah, thought of that as well, still may do the wiseco ones it's really all up in the air. The big 'to do' is going g to be the injection, don't need to really go nuts on the bore. I'm very curious what performance benefits the efi will bring.

Offline xulf13

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • West of Tennessee
« Reply #22 on: Jun 06, 2016, 13:27:24 »
I'm curious about the EFI performance as well, but mostly just to see it get done. That alone would be cool IMO. I went the mikuni route and with help of a fellow DTTer got mine running great.

I also did a bit porting on the head

If you do too much at once you won't know what did the most benefit or what wasn't a big plus. So it will be hard to judge unless you know how that bike ran prior or have another bike like it to compare it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #23 on: Jun 06, 2016, 13:30:33 »
Following along on this one. Electronic Fuel Injection is epic.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline Flugtechnik

• My bike is not transportation, it is a respite
    • Nixon and Me
« Reply #24 on: Jun 06, 2016, 13:37:04 »
Yes, xulf13 and I have been sharing our mistakes so the other doesn't repeat them.  I'm actually about to start rebuilding my motor again as soon as I get my tax refund.  Mine is burning oil and popping out of second gear.  Clutch is slipping too.  I only rebuilt the top end so time to dig into the rest.

I agree that you have to have an end goal in mind to make a sound build plan.  Are you going to be racing this?  Just want to hot rod it for fun?  Want to daily it?  Long trips?

My bike has morphed into a scrambler so I am just looking to make the engine run better, to make it more reliable and more robust.  I'm not looking for more power.  That head work sounds like the ticket, and will probably do the oiling mod.

In my opinion, if you get rid of the torsion bars, you have lost the uniqueness of the engine.  I understand why it is done.

I am really interested in the FI system you are going to try.  Did you figure out what ignition you are going to use?

Offline Flugtechnik

• My bike is not transportation, it is a respite
    • Nixon and Me
« Reply #25 on: Jun 06, 2016, 13:40:50 »
Make sure you check your cam chain rollers carefully.  I found one of mine had sheared the head off of the roller axle pin.  Luckily there wasn't enough room in the head for the pin to come all the way out or my engine would have turned into a grenade.

Offline jag767

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Kinesis Moto
« Reply #26 on: Jun 06, 2016, 14:09:03 »
I'm curious about the EFI performance as well, but mostly just to see it get done. That alone would be cool IMO. I went the mikuni route and with help of a fellow DTTer got mine running great.

I also did a bit porting on the head

If you do too much at once you won't know what did the most benefit or what wasn't a big plus. So it will be hard to judge unless you know how that bike ran prior or have another bike like it to compare it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats easy, it didn't lol, it wasn't a complete bike. Honestly, I'm so fucking tired of carbs. I know a lot of you on here like them, but I grew up in the efi generation. They are just such a pain in the ass to tune perfect, and they will never do as well as an efi map. Temperature and pressure changes alone throw them off. Up til 2 years ago when I started my 175, all I worked one were fuel injected cars. Tuning was always the easiest thing in the world, and really idiot proof. Maybe that's what I should call this bike, the idiot proof 450 lol.

Offline jag767

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Kinesis Moto
« Reply #27 on: Jun 06, 2016, 14:10:35 »
Following along on this one. Electronic Fuel Injection is epic.

Glad to hear it Matt, going to need a second set of eyes for the wiring. Also figuring out a sensor bypass or 2, and making the digital ignition talk to the ecu is gonna be fun!

Offline jag767

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Kinesis Moto
« Reply #28 on: Jun 06, 2016, 14:16:06 »
Yes, xulf13 and I have been sharing our mistakes so the other doesn't repeat them.  I'm actually about to start rebuilding my motor again as soon as I get my tax refund.  Mine is burning oil and popping out of second gear.  Clutch is slipping too.  I only rebuilt the top end so time to dig into the rest.

I agree that you have to have an end goal in mind to make a sound build plan.  Are you going to be racing this?  Just want to hot rod it for fun?  Want to daily it?  Long trips?

My bike has morphed into a scrambler so I am just looking to make the engine run better, to make it more reliable and more robust.  I'm not looking for more power.  That head work sounds like the ticket, and will probably do the oiling mod.

In my opinion, if you get rid of the torsion bars, you have lost the uniqueness of the engine.  I understand why it is done.

I am really interested in the FI system you are going to try.  Did you figure out what ignition you are going to use?

I have a saying working on anything old. The old parts might work, but new parts will work. I generally replace everything possible. Less chance for mechanical error. Doesn't fix human error though  ???

If I told you my plans for the bike you'll laugh. Ive been bouncing between building something for me to just ride the hell out of, or go all the way and try to get it into the handbuilt show. I really want to shoot for the stars, but I don't know if I will have the cash to pull it off. Bikes that make a statement ain't cheap to build.

Offline Finnigan

« Reply #29 on: Jun 06, 2016, 14:19:43 »
Cool idea