www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Honda CB450 K5 Cafe Racer.. ish  (Read 9980 times)

Offline xb33bsa

Re: Honda CB450 K5 Cafe Racer.. ish
« Reply #60 on: Oct 17, 2016, 00:16:20 »
you only broke it not sectioned it looks ok to replace how long ?
i already fully explained why you dont need a breaker
grind them below the surface a bit
the link will come apart almost without help then .......a "motorcycle chain"chainbreaker is for girls,sissies  and bicycle chain and is a straightup,waste of your money i have never needed one in the shop .....
always did carried a little beaver tooth when trail riding without a grinder

Offline bezugo

« Reply #61 on: Oct 17, 2016, 07:07:12 »
I understood the method for breaking/shortening the chain. I just didn't think long enough about it so I thought it would damage a new chain.
But I see now. The links that will be ground are the ones coming off. Only one actually.

My other question concerned the length of the stock clutch pushrod. Does it go all the way from the clutch cover to the clutch basket on the other side of the engine?
I sure thought so, but looking closely at the broken bits it seems that I only need a bit of rod that is the same length as those two bits.

Maybe it's just me not understanding you, but what do you mean by sectioned instead of broken or sheared?  English isn't my first language, but it's hard to come across a word/meaning that I'm not aware of.
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2016, 07:09:06 by bezugo »

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #62 on: Oct 17, 2016, 07:41:53 »
sectioned would be 3 pieces
 its not missing a piece you only broke it in 2 in half just put the 2 together get a rough length
the rod is one piece goes all the way through probly 1" to 1-1/2 " short of measuring all the way to the outside  of the clutch cover it should show the image exploded in the factory service manual,if you dont have one download one free from the brain collective over at hondatwins.net
you can also see it in exploded view here:
http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb450k7-1974-usa_model455/partslist/E++08.html#results

Offline bezugo

« Reply #63 on: Oct 19, 2016, 18:52:46 »
Does the clutch pushrod rotate with the clutch basket?

I got a rod with the same diameter, cut it to length and even rounded off the end that goes into the engine.
My doubt is that i only cut a bit of rod to replace the bits that fell out. Assembled everything (new chain, new sprockets) and the clutch works great.  I didn't forget the metal ball.

Went for a little drive and now the engine is revving like crazy!!
If i put it in neutral and let go of the clutch it goes back down, but if i pull the clutch lever it revs up immediately.  When in gear and moving its even worse..  WTF!?

I didn't touch anything else, but it seems that the clutch is having some influence.

What can it be?

I didn't replace the whole rod because i wanted to try this out first, but i still have enough rod to make one or two extra entire rods.
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2016, 18:54:51 by bezugo »

Offline bezugo

« Reply #64 on: Oct 19, 2016, 19:35:12 »

On the upper right side you can see there is a darker section of the rod.  That's where mine broke and that is the only part i replaced since the rest of it remained inside.

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #65 on: Oct 19, 2016, 20:04:10 »
Does the clutch pushrod rotate with the clutch basket?

I got a rod with the same diameter, cut it to length and even rounded off the end that goes into the engine.
My doubt is that i only cut a bit of rod to replace the bits that fell out. Assembled everything (new chain, new sprockets) and the clutch works great.  I didn't forget the metal ball.

Went for a little drive and now the engine is revving like crazy!!
If i put it in neutral and let go of the clutch it goes back down, but if i pull the clutch lever it revs up immediately.  When in gear and moving its even worse..  WTF!?

I didn't touch anything else, but it seems that the clutch is having some influence.

What can it be?

I didn't replace the whole rod because i wanted to try this out first, but i still have enough rod to make one or two extra entire rods.
what you did was a creative thing that won't work ,but good for you to try it
it needs to be the stock rod 1 piece the ends are hardened as far as i know,try scratching an end with a file
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2016, 20:12:00 by xb33bsa »

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #66 on: Oct 19, 2016, 20:10:47 »
and yes it rotates if it wants to ,it floats, if you must make your own rod you will need to use drillrod it is commonly available even in brazil i would bet,and comes in all std drill bit diameters , the ends needs to be hardened ,the drill rod is oil hardening i believe,then should be drawn out a bit,and precision ground or machined to correct shape/flatness on both ends
you could also use cr rod and case harden the ends with some casenite the key being perfect straightness and near perfectly shaped ends

Offline bezugo

« Reply #67 on: Oct 20, 2016, 08:33:31 »
Ok. So it won't work this way. I'll try getting a stock rod. Didn't you have one?

What I still don't get is why does the engine rev higher than normal now.
I would understand if it revved lower because of added friction from the rod not wanting to rotate, but this??!

By drill rod do you mean a drill bit with the required length? That would be a good way of getting a perfectly straight rod that is very hard.

Oh and by the way, my native language is indeed Portuguese, but not from Brazil. I'm Portuguese and here I should be able to get everything I need.  Everything except parts for a classic Honda  :(
I buy everything from the UK or US

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #68 on: Oct 21, 2016, 16:17:44 »
Ok. So it won't work this way. I'll try getting a stock rod. Didn't you have one?

What I still don't get is why does the engine rev higher than normal now.
I would understand if it revved lower because of added friction from the rod not wanting to rotate, but this??!

By drill rod do you mean a drill bit with the required length? That would be a good way of getting a perfectly straight rod that is very hard.

Oh and by the way, my native language is indeed Portuguese, but not from Brazil. I'm Portuguese and here I should be able to get everything I need.  Everything except parts for a classic Honda  :(
I buy everything from the UK or US
first where are you ? yes i have a rod ok i see portagee i could sell you a good rod for $12c pluss the international first class mail which wont be bad because very light package
drill rod is drill bit specification steel rod in an annealed state in all drillbit diameters ,its just smooth rod ....the clutch pushrod is nort a practical thing to make ,i could make my own i have the tools but i could buy 10 for the time it tyakes
the reving up problem is a completely seperate issue from the clutch
you have an air leak or throttle cables sticking
before you try to figure it out, before a lot of time chasing dead ends start with a complete tuneup ,including valve clearances and timing chain adjust so you have a base to start out with

Offline bezugo

« Reply #69 on: Nov 01, 2016, 11:55:18 »
First of all.. thanks for your help.  I may still need that rod you have, but in the meanwhile i tried something a little different.

I took out that piece of rod i fabbed and cut it short by 8mm.

Since i can't get the pushrod from inside the engine (magnet didn't work) and i know it rotates with the clutch since i turned on the engine and looked inside...i just put one 8mm ball inside that hole to minimize friction between the two rods.

It works perfectly  :)

Still... i was getting the same issue with revving whenever i pulled the clutch.  Sure enough, it was the damn clutch cable pushing against the throttle actuator.   
It never did that before.  So weird..
I just found a way of getting it away and now it works fine.

Also.. another spark plug died on me.  It's always the right side plug that dies because the mixture on that side is too rich.
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2018, 20:23:20 by bezugo »