www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Honda CB450 K5 Cafe Racer.. ish  (Read 10020 times)

Offline bezugo

Re: Honda CB450 K5 Cafe Racer.. ish
« Reply #50 on: Sep 15, 2016, 11:35:57 »
New attempt...  This time i just bench synced the carbs and replaced the spark plugs.  Both pod filters are installed.

Its a little better now.  Just looking at the plugs it seems the mixture is better.  The right side is firing more evenly with less spewing.

It revs to 6k now and doesn't cut out abruptly. It just can't go any higher.

Offline bezugo

« Reply #51 on: Oct 16, 2016, 16:12:59 »
I have been putting a few miles but yesterday something went wrong.

The drive chain broke!!  While i was doing 60!
Had to call the tow truck and got it home without a scratch.

For the last 10 miles i was felling something strange with the clutch lever.  It was snapping at my fingers which was a warning sign. Then i felt that the lever had lost more than half of the travel.. weird.
Since i was on a motorway i tried taking it home without shifting until it completely broke.

This is what i found

The clutch shaft broke  :-[

Online Flugtechnik

• My bike is not transportation, it is a respite
    • Nixon and Me
« Reply #52 on: Oct 16, 2016, 17:45:29 »
Damn!  Glad you are OK.  Had you put a new chain on it?

Don't lose that little ball, you will probably need it.

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #53 on: Oct 16, 2016, 18:52:50 »
glad you are ok could have been bad
previous images show chain way loose and front sprocket pretty badly worn and rusty chains are only good for scrap or art the rust can cause crack failures
what happened is the chain being very badly worn equals stretched no longer sitting on sprockets like it should
then the chain gets a big wave in it betwereen the sprockets and allows it to climb a tooth, which  then it became whip-snap tight in an instant and broken
besides the chain, tires and brakes and suspension are really important things to maintain and underststand
its new chain and sprocket time, buy them as a set
if you need as clutch pushrod i have em

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #54 on: Oct 16, 2016, 19:01:23 »
Damn!  Glad you are OK.  Had you put a new chain on it?

Don't lose that little ball, you will probably need it.
old rusty chain, worn sprockets,way  too loose.....its like in the old movies ,when they cut somebodies brake line,'cept for  he sabotaged his own ride  :-\

Offline bezugo

« Reply #55 on: Oct 16, 2016, 20:45:26 »
You are all right.  I have bought a new chain and rear sprocket months ago, but i don't have a chain breaker, so there was no way of installing it.

I tried buying a chain breaker, but my bank has blocked paypal as they believe it is unsafe.
I can only find one on ebay.  There is no store that sells it.

The front sprocket looks to be in good condition. The rear doesn't and i already knew the chain was bad.  I just pushed my luck a bit too far  :-[

Now that it happened and the pushrod (i called it shaft earlier) is broken, how do i find a replacement?
How long is the pushrod?  Those two bits that fell out are just a part of it right?
There is still a rod inside the hole..   It moves freely so i guess i could pull it out using a magnet.
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2016, 20:53:10 by bezugo »

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #56 on: Oct 16, 2016, 22:04:33 »
You are all right.  I have bought a new chain and rear sprocket months ago, but i don't have a chain breaker, so there was no way of installing it.

I tried buying a chain breaker, but my bank has blocked paypal as they believe it is unsafe.
I can only find one on ebay.  There is no store that sells it.

The front sprocket looks to be in good condition. The rear doesn't and i already knew the chain was bad.  I just pushed my luck a bit too far  :-[

Now that it happened and the pushrod (i called it shaft earlier) is broken, how do i find a replacement?
How long is the pushrod?  Those two bits that fell out are just a part of it right?
There is still a rod inside the hole..   It moves freely so i guess i could pull it out using a magnet.

what do you need a chainbreaker for ?i know every body has a grinder just get after with a grinder it is the easiest method anyway just grind the head of of 2 pins in outer links and a small punch they drive out easy on your junk chain just severe that one side plate
the front sprocket does not look good you didn't know  what you are looking for, ,thats ok now you do wrap the new chain around that sprocket and you will see
believe it or not a roller chain and its sprockets is a very precise mechanism
be sure and get the rear sprocket bolts secured the service manual has the torque specs and use loctite
yes a magneyt to fish the rod out get a new seal i have a rod you can have it for the cost of shipping and a cup of coffee
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2016, 22:06:16 by xtop20A »

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #57 on: Oct 16, 2016, 22:11:51 »
whats going on with the bottom shock bolt i see welding so somebody converted it to eye instead of clevis  ?you dont have the rubber bushings like stock ?
but it looks like the eye is bolted up tight ?

Offline bezugo

« Reply #58 on: Oct 16, 2016, 22:20:47 »
whats going on with the bottom shock bolt i see welding so somebody converted it to eye instead of clevis  ?you dont have the rubber bushings like stock ?
but it looks like the eye is bolted up tight ?

The shocks that were there before were the same type. That's why i bought these shocks not knowing that the stock ones are clevis. Didn't even know that term before.
Nothing was modified. It just bolts this way.  I have bought new stainless steels bolts though.

Some may tell me i'm wrong, but i do feel it is safe (although not ideal) this way.
If i'm convinced otherwise i may get new shocks.

Offline bezugo

« Reply #59 on: Oct 16, 2016, 22:35:39 »
what do you need a chainbreaker for ?i know every body has a grinder just get after with a grinder it is the easiest method anyway just grind the head of of 2 pins in outer links and a small punch they drive out easy on your junk chain just severe that one side plate
the front sprocket does not look good you didn't know  what you are looking for, ,thats ok now you do wrap the new chain around that sprocket and you will see
believe it or not a roller chain and its sprockets is a very precise mechanism
be sure and get the rear sprocket bolts secured the service manual has the torque specs and use loctite
yes a magneyt to fish the rod out get a new seal i have a rod you can have it for the cost of shipping and a cup of coffee

I know the grinder would work getting the old one out, but what about getting the new one to the same length?   It has 20 extra links..

Ok.. since i'm putting in a new chain and rear sprocket i'll get a new front one as well. It looks ok to my eyes, but i've never had a proper bike before.

I went to the garage just now and tried using a magnet, but it is just slightly larger diameter than the pushrod so no luck.
While i was there i looked at it a little better and it really doesn't seem like it snapped.
Cleaned the two broken bits and took a few pictures

The sheared ends

And the other ends

What do you think?   None of these ends looks sheared. Nor does the end on the rod still inside the engine.