www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: GS650E First build  (Read 3398 times)

Offline AlphaDogCustoms

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Science is true whether you believe in it or not.
    • Alpha Dog Customs
Re: GS650E First build
« Reply #30 on: Jul 14, 2016, 11:10:18 »
Why did you cut the frame above the rear engine mounts?

Yeah, that looks questionable, doesn't it. There should be some gusseting at key points, I would think.
...every dump I take is original too, and it doesn't smell any better because of it's originality.

Alpha Dog Custom Cycles
Painting
Powdercoating
Custom Fabrication
Repairs
I'm so old, I even know what ignition points are.

Offline schwartzy1024

• Schwartzy
« Reply #31 on: Jul 14, 2016, 11:27:54 »
Yeah, that looks questionable, doesn't it. There should be some gusseting at key points, I would think.

The frame had a notch cut out of one side when I purchased it. I decided to match sides and reinforced the part under the tank with an extra sheet of metal and welded around the entire thing, so it's not really concerning me.
Don't reinvent the wheel, find ways to make it roll faster!

Offline Zagg

« Reply #32 on: Nov 14, 2016, 20:14:18 »
Is that a Dime City seat?  I was just looking at one similar.... Also, did you get the jetting worked out?  I have a '78 750 I am working on now and the carb issues are looming.  Have Vance & Hines 4-1 and pods on the way.  Final numbers on your jets would be super helpful.
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2016, 01:02:58 by Zagg »
'78 GS750 (in progress)

Offline cyclone

« Reply #33 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:38:53 »
hi,
like the way the colours blend from tank to seat to frame

black rose wrap is nice

what colour is the powdercoat? looks like its got a hint of something in the black from here..

cheers

Offline schwartzy1024

• Schwartzy
« Reply #34 on: Jan 27, 2017, 14:23:05 »
Thanks! The frame is powder coated with something similar to Oiled Bronze.  I had the company tweak it just a little.  It has a little gold flek in it. I would have liked to do the entire frame the same as the wheels but they only had enough color to do the wheels.

Offline cyclone

« Reply #35 on: Jan 28, 2017, 16:49:15 »
cool...

Offline LightsOut

« Reply #36 on: Jun 16, 2017, 09:18:39 »
Cool build! Did you sort out the carb issues?

Offline schwartzy1024

• Schwartzy
« Reply #37 on: Oct 05, 2017, 20:30:12 »
Hi, new here, working on a gs1000. Your bike looks great!
I'm wondering if you have any pictures of what you did with all the electronics in the rear triangle and any advice on moving those under the seat?
I was thinking I could pretty much just flip that panel up to lay under the seat. I'd appreciate any advice!

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920T using DO THE TON mobile app

Sorry for the late response.  I removed ALL wiring and did my own.  I drew the wiring layout over and over until i thought I had the most simple and clean way of doing it. If I were to do it over, I would buy about 10 different colors of wires ( I only used 5). It made it tough when trouble shooting.  A small fuse block would have been a huge help and I wish I blocked off the back side of everything.  If I ride on a wet day, water and crap can splash onto the underside of the wiring and battery. (happens on every bike, but it would provide peace of mind).  I found a really helpfull link that talked about creating one "backbone" hot wire and putting everything off of that. 

I just got the bike out for the 3rd time all summer and it reminded me of this question.