www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Down under, an idiot and a 400F  (Read 463142 times)

Offline Integra99

Re: Down under, an idiot and a 400F
« Reply #2720 on: Jan 03, 2018, 10:47:01 »

Wow amazing work and story.. just spent 20mins skimming through.. !

Here's my cb400f so far..  mines very much standard but a few subtle tweaks.. waiting on the seat to be upholstered... money and time is a limitation with other projects.

Offline The Limey

• Evil English Villain
« Reply #2721 on: Jan 03, 2018, 10:55:42 »
Very pretty.  The black engine with carefully selected polished bits is very subtle, but very nice.
I was born a rocker.  I'll die a rocker.  And I'm proud of it.

Offline Integra99

« Reply #2722 on: Jan 03, 2018, 12:57:32 »

Cheers mate, I'm trying to create it looking like a modern take on the original CB400f like it came from the factory..  tank will be RS4 nano grey, with a gloss black stripe.. apologies to thread hijack !!

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #2723 on: Jan 08, 2018, 20:54:57 »
I'm about 99% certain you could fit an early XR 200 monoshock  into 400f (or CB360  ;) ) frame Swing arm is about 4" longer but being box section much easier to shorten if needed. Could also weld shock mounts on for a twin shock
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Online irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #2724 on: Jan 08, 2018, 22:45:21 »
I'm about 99% certain you could fit an early XR 200 monoshock  into 400f (or CB360  ;) ) frame Swing arm is about 4" longer but being box section much easier to shorten if needed. Could also weld shock mounts on for a twin shock

I can confirm that to be true...

Offline neevo

• The blog of my custom CB400F build
« Reply #2725 on: Jan 09, 2018, 17:11:20 »
I find it very important to mock up the upholstered portion of the seat when I am deciding on the cowl shape.  You can carve up an old seat foam to roughly fit and wrap it or paint it dark like the cover you intend to use to approximate the end result.  I make mine from fiberglass with the seat base and cowl as a single component, so it is easy for me to shape the rigid foam for the cowl and soft foam for the seat at the same time.  Looks like you can do the same thing adjusting your cardboard mock up with the seat foam until you get the shape of both to look like you want.  I see an awful lot of bikes that would have looked a lot better if the upholstered portion didn't look like the separate project it was.

Thatís a really good point. Iíll think about how I do that because I donít want the lines of the seat ruined by a big foam block.

See the condensed version of my full build on my blog!

Offline neevo

« Reply #2726 on: Jan 09, 2018, 17:13:18 »
Wow amazing work and story.. just spent 20mins skimming through.. !

Here's my cb400f so far..  mines very much standard but a few subtle tweaks.. waiting on the seat to be upholstered... money and time is a limitation with other projects.

Thanks and nice work yourself!

Offline neevo

« Reply #2727 on: Jun 11, 2018, 06:02:30 »
Got in to the shed today and took to converting my cardboard template in to steel. Cut apart the template and measured it on the sheet of steel:

Cut it out with my air shears (worked a charm after I oiled them). Cut it all out and set it in my brake to bend up the sides:

Next up I trimmed the front with a cut off disk in the grinder. I drew a centre line and then used a spirit level to get the front square:

Then I cut the sides and seat. This is where I realised Iíd made a mistake... I think Iíve cut the seat section a little short.

However Iím going to press on and use this one as a guide on how I will make the compound curve on the back. I also want to make the sides a little shorter so if this one doesnít work out, then I will make them 30mm instead of 35mm.

The brake makes a huge difference and this seat is already significantly better made than the first one:

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #2728 on: Jun 11, 2018, 17:35:56 »
Hi Ed, nice to see you back.I'm sure kids keeping you busy. Didn't realise just how much looking after they take until I started looking after stepdaughters son. Haven't really done anything for last 19 months plus, now he's 2-1/2 he's real active and into everything. . 
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline neevo

« Reply #2729 on: Jun 11, 2018, 20:24:50 »
Ainít that the truth PJ!!! And Iíve had some other projects on the burner too which makes it hard to put time and money into this bike seeing as it will still be years away from the road (probably).

I need to get back in to the habit of a few hours a week though, even if itís stuff I can do for free... just to make sure itís ticking along.