www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Project "walrus" Yam XS 750  (Read 33657 times)

Offline XS750AU

Re: Project "walrus" Yam XS 750
« Reply #100 on: Aug 28, 2016, 20:07:24 »
Hi Ryan
Without having a good power supply (battery at 13v), you are not going to get any reliable results. Start with the basics and get a good battery, then you can start your fault  finding.
Regards
Tim

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

“Engineering is the art of being approximately right rather than exactly wrong.”

Yamaha XS750-2D
Yamaha XS896
Husaberg FE550
Yamaha TT250
Yamaha IT200N

Offline datadavid

« Reply #101 on: Aug 29, 2016, 06:29:09 »
My regulator unit is sending 18-19 volts at 3k rpm with a busted battery. I think at least one cell is dead because even if it sits at 12.7 it drops to 6 volts immediately when i engage the starter.. running these systems with broken batteries seems to overload the charging circuits.
About your electrical troubles, go through every single connection and clean up All grounds, i bet you will have nice charging voltage along with a good battery. Also its a good thing that only 1 cyl has no spark, just need to check that coil and all leads. On my previous 750 all 3 pickup leads shorted on each other so all cylinders were firing simultaneously!
Bike was still rideable up till 5k rpm when all hell broke loose 😁 with  that fixed i only needed to repair the advancer mechanism and it was flying!

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #102 on: Aug 29, 2016, 06:58:40 »
Thanks guys for your help,I will get a new battery as soon as I habe the funds,next weekend I will try it with a car battery.

Do you have any recommendations on batteries?
I know that I need cold cranking power and Ah...which types would you recommend?
Dont want to buy a lead battery..the bike will sit for a few months this winter so I need to keep this in mind.

Gesendet von meinem SM-A310F mit Tapatalk

Offline XS750AU

« Reply #103 on: Aug 29, 2016, 07:13:35 »
Hi Ryan
Most batteries these days are reliable just a matter of what what you want to spend!!!
On the XS750 I am running a gel, 240 CCA and it is OK - cannot crank the engine when hot (well lubed hot pistons have higher compression, I think) but good at cold.
Husaberg is running a 210 CCA lithium Ion, very good but does loose charge after a month sitting.
TT250 - no battery at all just runs straight off the alternator - bloody reliable as it only has a kick start!!!!!
IT200 - 6V lead acid - difficult to get and a pain in the.

XS896 I am thinking a 240CCA lithium due to their small size. Probably will mainly kick start.

Don't think it is going to make any difference over winter which battery you get - they all need some trickle charging over winter.

Dave 19V from your regulator is way too high and will fry any battery.
Cheers
Tim
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2016, 07:15:42 by XS750AU »
“Engineering is the art of being approximately right rather than exactly wrong.”

Yamaha XS750-2D
Yamaha XS896
Husaberg FE550
Yamaha TT250
Yamaha IT200N

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #104 on: Aug 29, 2016, 07:31:19 »
Hi Ryan
Most batteries these days are reliable just a matter of what what you want to spend!!!
On the XS750 I am running a gel, 240 CCA and it is OK - cannot crank the engine when hot (well lubed hot pistons have higher compression, I think) but good at cold.
Husaberg is running a 210 CCA lithium Ion, very good but does loose charge after a month sitting.
TT250 - no battery at all just runs straight off the alternator - bloody reliable as it only has a kick start!!!!!

XS896 I am thinking a 240CCA lithium due to their small size. Probably will mainly kick start.

Don't think it is going to make any difference over winter which battery you get - they all need some trickle charging over winter.

Cheers
Tim

thanks tim for the insight, would you recommend running a bigger battery than the 240cca to cure the cranking issue?how do you start your engine when hot now?

Offline XS750AU

« Reply #105 on: Aug 29, 2016, 07:52:12 »
Not sure if a higher CCA would help my issue. From my understanding a higher CCA allows you to crank for a longer time. For me, when the engine is cold, it will crank it for a reasonable period. When hot, remember the battery is warm and absolutely fully charged and it will not turn one revolution! Wait 10 minutes and it will crank and start??? So when I need to start with a fresh hot engine I use the kick starter. My bike is always easier to start with the kick starter.
I chose the 240CCA as it was a little smaller and lighter. For me I quite like the look on peoples faces when you kick start a full sized road bike.
Sorry to say that batteries really do follow the rule - to more you pay the better the performance.
Cheers
Tim.

Yamaha XS750-2D
Yamaha XS896
Husaberg FE550
Yamaha TT250
Yamaha IT200N

Offline datadavid

« Reply #106 on: Aug 29, 2016, 08:28:31 »

Hi Ryan

Cheers
Tim

Yea i know, cant really figure out why a brand new electrosport reg/rec would do that, except because of a broken battery.. my 30+ year old regulator does the job perfectly. Something to think about.. will try with a new battery.

Offline XS750AU

« Reply #107 on: Aug 29, 2016, 08:47:25 »
Yep I had the same experience. I bought a new rectifier/regulator when I had my charging issues. The auto electrician went back to the original OEM unit as in his opinion the OEM unit had much better quality diodes . The modern "replacement" units use Chinese components.
My system is working well with the original OEM unit.

Yamaha XS750-2D
Yamaha XS896
Husaberg FE550
Yamaha TT250
Yamaha IT200N

Offline Garc

« Reply #108 on: Aug 29, 2016, 14:22:32 »
I use a sealed AGM 200 CCA, plenty to turn the motor over cold to burn up your starter.  They say these are plug and play but I still gave it a bump with 10 amps for several hours, the battery voltage should be 12.5-13 sitting.    I'm seeing 14+ above 2K rpms with the charge system.
What is your key on/starter draw? 

And yes, these bikes are easy to kick over if you have enough voltage to make good coil spark.  I've build a high comp 2t 70 cc moped that was more difficult to kick, but the lever size obviously played a factor.
XS 750/850 Triple Shaftjacker

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #109 on: Aug 31, 2016, 07:13:15 »
Hi guys!

So I retested my Battery once again yesterday, made a little video that shows cold, starter draw and when the engine is cranked over.

VIDEO

I guess I need to test that thing with a car battery to make sure it really gets enough voltage, no budget at the moment for a new battery.

As for the spark issue, i dont really think that a weak battery can cause 1 cylinder to have zero spark or can this be caused be the weak battery?

Thought about swapping the wiring of Cylinder 2 and 3 coils over to Cylinder 1 to check if the problem is the CDI box...would you try that?

thanks!