www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: 72 CB350 For the Daughter  (Read 18623 times)

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
Re: 72 CB350 For the Daughter
« Reply #230 on: Jun 19, 2017, 20:15:57 »
I didn't fit K&N's.  I used new stock (from David Silver Spares) air filters.

Any suggestions on what to look for/check?  I cleaned the carbs with spray carb cleaner (did not dunk them) and watched it shoot out through the holes in the carb.  Ran some violin string through the emulsion tubes and slow jets to clear them.  Oiled the felt washers, set the float heights, new oem O-rings.

Forgot you have stock air boxes and filters. Re-set float level to 26mm (with brass floats)
Did you use Kei-Hin pilot and primary main jets? Aftermarket have the wrong size holes but originals may be oversized due to 'cleaning' with bits of wire over the years. Stock primary main jet works best although Trek has found a slightly smaller one can clean up mid range on his 360 (350 works the same though)
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
I gave my girlfriend an orgasm the other night, but, she spat it back at me
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)
CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline Harsh

« Reply #231 on: Jun 20, 2017, 08:35:44 »
Yes I re-used the Keihin jets.  They looked to be in good shape, but I didn't measure the holes.  The emulsion tubes were all clogged, which is what I used the violin wire on.  I find it odd that all of the kits come with #70 primary jet when #68 was stock.  I am having a hard time even finding a #68 much less something smaller.
2014 Triumph Tiger
2007 Triumph Daytona 675 - Track Bike
1974 Honda CB750 Cafe
1972 (x2) Honda CB350

Offline brad black

« Reply #232 on: Jun 20, 2017, 09:13:08 »
if it's running this bad i'd fit new jets and emulsion tubes.  anything you had to poke wire through to clean is worth replacing just to rule it out.

using an oil can to pump oil through the pilot circuit is a good idea too.  it moves stuff compressed air won't.

Offline crazypj

« Reply #233 on: Jun 20, 2017, 11:48:50 »
The new 'primary main' jets are longer than originals but you can get them as air jets for a newer carb (I think? )
You'll have to do a bit of searching around, pretty sure Jets R Us has pictures plus descriptions (diameters, thread pitch, etc)
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Harsh

« Reply #234 on: Jun 20, 2017, 11:53:26 »
I was just about to reply to your PM.  I did find Jets R Us has #68 (stock) as well as a #65.  Although I worry about running lean if I were to fit the #65.
2014 Triumph Tiger
1974 Honda CB750 Cafe
1972 (x2) Honda CB350

Offline crazypj

« Reply #235 on: Jun 20, 2017, 11:56:30 »
Pretty sure you can still get primary main jets, except they are now used as air jets in some carb.
Try Jets R Us, I think they have pictures and descriptions, thread size, diameter, length

Offline Harsh

« Reply #236 on: Jun 20, 2017, 12:00:03 »
Jets R Us does have pretty good descriptions.  I have the oem part numbers for the primary man jets so I might swing by my dealership today on the way home and see what they have.
2014 Triumph Tiger
1974 Honda CB750 Cafe
1972 (x2) Honda CB350

Offline Harsh

« Reply #237 on: Jun 26, 2017, 17:44:44 »
Ordered some rebuild kits for the carbs to hopefully fix my running issues.  I went with all new brass pieces vice just cleaning the old stuff and replacing the o-rings like I did previously.  Get everything back together and the bike wouldn't fire up.  I had zero spark on both cylinders.  So I Pulled the tank to check the wiring to see if I accidentally disconnected something while I was fiddling around.  All wiring had good and solid connections.  Power was where it was supposed to be and grounds were perfect, yet I was getting zero spark.  So I swapped in the wife's electronic ignition and the bike fires right up.  So it looks like I get to play the warranty game with the manufacturer.  People have had issues with him before and I suspect I will too.  My issue is that I purchased it more than a year ago even though it wasn't used until a couple of months ago and I can prove that via my build threads.

Now I wonder if it was the ignition that was causing the running issues the entire time and not the carbs.
2014 Triumph Tiger
1974 Honda CB750 Cafe
1972 (x2) Honda CB350

Offline Harsh

« Reply #238 on: Jun 27, 2017, 20:25:39 »
Replacement electronic ignition shipped today and should be by the end of the week.  Should be here by the end of the week so hopefully I can get it installed, set, and running by this weekend.

I need to figure out something to do with my garage though. I have a 1980 CB750 in there that I am helping a member here get up and running and I am looking at buying a new bike within the next couple of weeks. Hopefully I can find a Triumph Tiger that I like. 7 bikes in a one car garage that also houses all of my tools is going to be a damn near impossible squeeze.
2014 Triumph Tiger
1974 Honda CB750 Cafe
1972 (x2) Honda CB350

Offline crazypj

« Reply #239 on: Jun 29, 2017, 11:21:39 »
I've found that aftermarket kits don't have correctly machined pilot jets.
It's possible to modify the cross holes which are too small (as several people have noticed)
The prevalence of E10 fuels also means you must richen mixture up slightly although it's less than the 10% you would expect