www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 1980 SR250 - Gravel and Backroads Runner  (Read 5443 times)

Offline MORK

• Back at er
Re: 1980 SR250 - Gravel and Backroads Runner
« Reply #30 on: Nov 11, 2016, 15:30:08 »
Looking like a super fun project. I was never a fan of that particular cat eye. The round looks much better, unless... you fit that cat eye between the fender and the hoop. Hmm...

Are you concerned about knocking those turn signals off the first time you drop er?

Offline sbruton

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Where the fvck is that money you owe me?!?
« Reply #31 on: Nov 11, 2016, 15:47:01 »
Looking like a super fun project. I was never a fan of that particular cat eye. The round looks much better, unless... you fit that cat eye between the fender and the hoop. Hmm...

Are you concerned about knocking those turn signals off the first time you drop er?

Thanks Mork!  It should be a fun bike to ride once it's done... it feels VERY small even compared to my KTM 200.

What ever do you mean by "drop er"??  :)  I almost never crash when I'm riding off-road.  hahaha  You're right though... the signals are a touch wide and will probably be moved more in-board to avoid the inevitable.  I mounted them there because I found a pair of brackets that worked perfectly over the shock mounts.

Thanks for the comments!

Offline sbruton

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #32 on: Nov 14, 2016, 16:07:45 »
I started working on cleaning, servicing and lowering the forks on the weekend.  Through experiences/ challenges diassebmling forks in the past I decided to remove the lower bolt first, before removing the top cap.  The thought being that the preloaded spring will help hold the damper rod from spinning.  If you pull the top cap off first you usually require the specialized tool to hold the damper rod.  Instead I improvised a little with an old 8mm allen key that I cut and used a 8mm nut driver in my cordless impact gun... voila!  The bolts spun out no problem:

The next step was getting the top caps out... what a hassle.  I haven't had the opportunity to work on forks that didn't have a threaded top cap.  After consulting the shop manual I learned that you have to push the cap down while digging out a spring retaining clip with a small flat head screwdriver.  As you would expect on a bike of this age, the caps were well rusted making removal a challenge.  Again, I had to devise a method to hold the cap down to free up both hands so I could work the retaining clip out.  With a couple old sockets, a C-Clamp and the vise I was able to press the cap down so I could dig out the clips. 

Once the clips are out the caps "should" pop out.  One of my caps was rusted in pretty tight and had to soak the cap with PJ Blaster.  After a day of soaking and a few hits on a block of wood the caps popped out.  At this point I dumped the old oil and cleaned up the internals.  The next stage was to lower the forks 1.5" which is accomplished by inserting a spacer on the damper rod under the top out spring.  After finalizing the length of the spacers, I removed the exact same length of off the fork spring.  Cutting the spring was a relatively easy task with a reinforced cut-off disc on my dremel.

While the forks are apart I'm going to take the opportunity to clean up the lowers with a brass wire wheel on my bench motor.

Offline Hellapet

« Reply #33 on: Nov 15, 2016, 12:43:13 »
Subscribed. Just out of curiosity, have you been measuring to make sure the frame is straight while you're chopping it up and welding in new metal? If so, what method are you using? It looks like the fender is sitting a little crooked but maybe it's just my eyes or the camera angle.

Offline sbruton

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #34 on: Nov 15, 2016, 13:40:07 »
Subscribed. Just out of curiosity, have you been measuring to make sure the frame is straight while you're chopping it up and welding in new metal? If so, what method are you using? It looks like the fender is sitting a little crooked but maybe it's just my eyes or the camera angle.

Hi Hellapet,

I have not been taking any measurements with the frame, but really haven't removed too much that might change the geometry.  When I cut and replaced the rear hoop the main cross members remained in place and it tact.  It is conceivable that things have moved marginally, but it's more likely that the fender is sitting a little cockeyed.  (I assume you're referring to the rear fender)  Most of the parts are just mocked up at the moment so I can get a better feel for the overall look before I commit to the final location.  Thanks for catching that... I will have a closer look next time I'm working on the bike.  I have to clean up the look of the the rear fender anyway!

Thanks for the comments!   

Offline Hellapet

« Reply #35 on: Nov 15, 2016, 14:03:11 »
Hi Hellapet,

I have not been taking any measurements with the frame, but really haven't removed too much that might change the geometry.  When I cut and replaced the rear hoop the main cross members remained in place and it tact.  It is conceivable that things have moved marginally, but it's more likely that the fender is sitting a little cockeyed.  (I assume you're referring to the rear fender)  Most of the parts are just mocked up at the moment so I can get a better feel for the overall look before I commit to the final location.  Thanks for catching that... I will have a closer look next time I'm working on the bike.  I have to clean up the look of the the rear fender anyway!

Thanks for the comments!

No problem, it would be a shame to get the bike together and then find out it no longer rides straight. Also, it's possible that the bike has seen some impact force in its 36 years that may have changed its geometry a bit. Not sure you ever mentioned it but, did you ride the bike before dismantling it?

Offline sbruton

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #36 on: Nov 15, 2016, 14:18:10 »
I did ride it a bit, but not extensively.  Generally speaking the bike didn't show any signs of abuse or evidence that it was in a wreck... I'm sure that what you are seeing is that the fender is a bit skewed.

Offline ridesolo

• "Illegitimi non carborundum"
« Reply #37 on: Nov 16, 2016, 08:18:16 »
Nice build so far.

If you haven't put your fork tubes back together yet, consider putting a 90 degree (or so) bend into one end of those clips so they are easier to get out the next time you have to take them apart.  I had to take my forks back apart to make changes and was glad I did it, for sure.
“Fight on and fly on to the last drop of blood and the last drop of fuel, to the last beat of the heart.”
— Baron Manfred von Richthofen

Please check out:  http://www.VetTix.org

These are on a low simmer out in the shop:
'75 Honda CL360: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=56547.0
'70 Rupp Roadster: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=67459.0

Offline interceptor

« Reply #38 on: Nov 16, 2016, 10:37:41 »
Great job! 
Opinions are like farts... they stink and no one wants to hear it except yourself.

Offline sbruton

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #39 on: Nov 16, 2016, 11:25:27 »
Nice build so far.

If you haven't put your fork tubes back together yet, consider putting a 90 degree (or so) bend into one end of those clips so they are easier to get out the next time you have to take them apart.  I had to take my forks back apart to make changes and was glad I did it, for sure.

Hi ridesolo,

Thanks for the comments and the exellent tip!  Most appreciated...