www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: 1980 SR250 - Gravel and Backroads Runner  (Read 5485 times)

Offline sbruton

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Where the fvck is that money you owe me?!?
Re: 1980 SR250 - Gravel and Backroads Runner
« Reply #40 on: Nov 16, 2016, 11:38:33 »
Interceptor - Thanks man! 

On another note... it's so satisfying to take oxidized, crummy looking parts and make them look shiny and new again.  I spent some time cleaning up the fork lowers with the wire wheel, polishing compound (on a cloth wheel) and then hand buffing with polish.  It takes a while, but turn on the tunes, crack a beer and let your mind drift away and before you know it, you have results.  The first picture is one fork leg without any cleaning beside one that has just seen the wire wheel.  The second picture is one that is polished up beside one that has been wire wheeled:

Hopefully I can get the second one complete tonight.

Offline sbruton

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #41 on: Nov 22, 2016, 22:39:34 »
Slow and steady wins the race as they say... but I guess that's the program with 2 young kids.  Pick away at small tasks whenever there is an hour or 2 to spare!

I finished cleaning up the fork lowers and then reassembled and mounted them up.  I also received the tires I ordered and mounted the front last night.  I returned the rear I had originally selected because it was way too small, but replaced it with a much wider less aggressive type.  The front is a 18x3.00 Shinko 244 and the rear I have on the way is a Bridgestone TW40 120/90-16.  It turns out the stock rim sizes don't work out very well for selection of dualsport tires - however these should do the trick.

I've also been experimenting with a number plate up front and below is the first version.  I'm reasonably happy with the overall look, but will make a second version and reduce the cut-away around the headlight.  The final product will probably have a black background decal just leaving a white edge and outline.

Here is a photo of the front end pieced together...

Offline magazine

« Reply #42 on: Nov 23, 2016, 07:54:47 »
Love it.  I like the front fender and mount a lot too.

Offline sbruton

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #43 on: Dec 07, 2016, 21:45:33 »
Finally got my rear tire mounted up!  I ended up with a Bridgestone Trailwing:

Also put the engine back in (temporarily) so I could start mocking up the exhaust.  I Picked up a shorty muffler from DCC with a upswept connector.  I've got some fine tuning to do with adaptors and clamps so the final position of the muffler will be a few inches further back and swept up a couple more inches.

« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2016, 21:49:15 by sbruton »

Offline magazine

« Reply #44 on: Dec 07, 2016, 23:38:23 »
Looking great.  I noticed your shocks look a little taller.  Do you mind me asking what length you went with?  The stockers on mine don't give it much clearance. 

Offline sbruton

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #45 on: Dec 07, 2016, 23:48:24 »
Looking great.  I noticed your shocks look a little taller.  Do you mind me asking what length you went with?  The stockers on mine don't give it much clearance. 

Good eye!  Those are some old shocks I had laying around from a '78 KZ650B.  They are wildly over-sprung for the weight of the bike + rider, but serve the purpose to get the stance the way I want.  They are 13" eye-to-eye.

Offline magazine

« Reply #46 on: Dec 08, 2016, 00:33:46 »
Thanks! 

Offline Dparker045

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2017, 20:12:09 »
Hey just wanted to let you know I picked up a 82 sr250 and  this build has been very helpful so far. I'll definitely be asking you questions as I go along. Thanks again and congrats on all that progress you made.

Offline sbruton

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2017, 00:42:18 »
Hey just wanted to let you know I picked up a 82 sr250 and  this build has been very helpful so far. I'll definitely be asking you questions as I go along. Thanks again and congrats on all that progress you made.

Thanks a lot Dparker045!  Congrats on the purchase and I look forward to watching your build.  Do you have a thread going?

It's been a very long and cold winter here so progress stopped for a few months.  I was able to get back at it last weekend with a bunch of electrical work.  It was really nice to get some work done and get re-motivated!

Take care.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline sbruton

• DTT SUPPORTER
1980 SR250 - Gravel and Backroads Runner
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2017, 22:34:34 »
Wow.  It's been 5 months since my last update... it was a tough winter here and no heat in the garage means no progress on the bike.

Things have warmed up and I got reacquainted with my bike over the weekend.  I layed the wiring harness out and made a bunch connectors.  Pictures below show the wiring tray, battery box, ignition switch and the headlight bucket.  The rear end is wired up but the front needs work.  Everything is just mocked up at the moment but generally in the final position.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON