www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: CB77: Out with the old, in with the new!  (Read 1771 times)

Offline MBellRacing

• Wheel Jockey for Hire
    • MBellRacing Homepage
Re: CB77: Out with the old, in with the new!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 13, 2016, 01:54:56 »

Okay, 2 steps forward, one big step backward. The good news: I rode the bike for the first time in 5 years today, albeit slowly in a parking lot while it coughed and choked its way around for 5 minutes. The bad news: I can't start it reliably. 2 means of doing it, neither work!!!

The electric starter clutch seems to have finally given up the ghost and I'll have to pull the rotor off to fix it. I'll have to find a good how-to, since there seems to be a sparsity of information about this specific repair. I have a clutch pawl kit, just no idea how to install it! I know it is behind the rotor, which is where my e-igition is, so that'll be coming off. I'm okay with this, but more on that in a moment.

I tried following a Honda 305 forums' guide on lining everything up for the kickstarter, but to no avail. Basically, I cannot fully remove my right side cover without removing a portion of my electronic ignition, and at the time, I wasn't into that. However, I installed the kick lever with the punch marks lined up. The punches are lined up on the gears inside the cover, and the "O's" line up with the lever at about the 2 o'clock position, which checks out to what I've seen. The spring is loose and seems to be applying pressure the wrong way (?). It pulls the lever clockwise on the bike, which would never return it, since CB77s have a forward kick start. With the starter shaft stopped fully clockwise, it does not move anything. It is just rock solid. It moves about 90 degrees counterclockwise and gets equally stuck. There is nothing but flop in the middle. If I put the bike in gear, the shaft is locked completely in place, no flop. Tell me what I'm doing wrong, because it is making me crazy!

The other issue is that I decided to start the bike using the crank bolt. The bike started and ran, but was ultimately a poor decision because I apparently ended up loosening it and the e-ignition is now off. This makes sense since it was running very poorly in the parking lot. I think the fuel I used is not so bueno, either. I'm going to get myself some nice 91 when I'm back from a "business trip" and re-time the ignition once I rebuild the starter clutch, which, as stated, involves removing stator.

A couple photos below.

Offline jag767

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Kinesis Moto
« Reply #11 on: Sep 13, 2016, 04:44:00 »
I'll fix all your problems in one shot. Reset the timing for your ignition and just bump start in 2nd gear for now  ;D

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #12 on: Sep 14, 2016, 12:57:23 »
Step 1: Trim the ignition mounting plate to allow the outer cover to be removed without messing with the timing.

Step 2: take the ignition wiring through the crankcase with the alternator wiring

Note: in this case those two steps won't obviate the need to remove the ignition to get behind the rotor.

Step 3: grab a spare rear axle and thread it into the rotor.  Tighten it down had and then smack the end of the axle a.k.a. puller witha BFH and it should fall off in your hand.

Step 4: Turn it over and remove the three large rollers, springs and cups and clean it all out.  Then replace with new rollers springs and cups and slide it carefully over the sprocket.  Rotate it slightly as you slide it into place to allow the rollers to retract into the housing.

Step 5: And this is the tricky/messy one. The spring has to be pre-tensioned ie wound up before the cover is installed.

And that is just about the size of it. If you were close to Chicago I'd come over and do it for you or have you bring the bike to my place to take care of it.