www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 1968 CL175 repair and build  (Read 20710 times)

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: 1968 CL175 repair and build
« Reply #110 on: Jul 06, 2017, 15:35:37 »
That's odd.  The points cam is keyed to the camshaft, so in theory if the ignition timing is right, the valve timing is also right. 

The crank is 360 degrees and both pistons rise and fall together. The coil fires both plugs at the same time just before TDC, so if the timing is 180 degrees out it should still be right. At TDC one side whould have both valves open on overlap and the other side should have them both closed at TDC.  You might try removing the valve caps and at TDC see that one side there is play and on the other side, both valves should be open.

How did you clean the carbs?  Those crabs have a bypass pilot circuit that's a tiny hole on the engine side of the slide and they clog up pretty regularly. Pull the carbs and blast cleaner through that circuit and do it on both carbs to compare sides.

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #111 on: Jul 07, 2017, 21:20:43 »
Well for giggles I redid the points because I was getting a kick back in the kickstart lever, and that's gone now. I gapped the point to whatever it is, can't remember now, while on the high point in the cam, and rotated the plate so it just breaks at the F mark on compression.

Occasionally I'll get about ten revolutions if I kick it hard, but it won't start all the way up.

I'm gonna have a look at the carbs this weekend but I'm 99% sure they're clean because I pulled them off and cleaned them, and kept them in an empty toolbox drawer while I was rebuilding.

I did actually feel compression with my finger on the left side but I'm gonna test both cylinders this weekend too just to make sure I didn't fail at the rings.

I also charged the battery up and I'm getting spark for sure.

It has to be carbs, rings, or cam timing right?

Sent from my SM-G935P using DO THE TON mobile app

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #112 on: Jul 07, 2017, 21:23:19 »
By the way Teazer you're a fucking legend dude, thanks for helping me out so much.

I run a screen printing business, so if you send me a good shot of your favorite bike I'll put a white print of it on a shirt for you free of charge, you're saving this bike haha.

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #113 on: Jul 08, 2017, 00:49:25 »
I can't get the front valve caps off, but at TDC I have one rocker slack and one tight on the intake side.

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #114 on: Jul 15, 2017, 11:37:05 »
At TDC on compression, both are closed and at TDC on the other side, both should be open more or less the same amount. Rock it slighl forwards and if the inlet valve on that side continues to open, it's probably OK. Rotate it another 300 degrees or so and see when the inlet valve cracks open.  Should be close to TDC.

Try squirting a small amount of STerter Fluid into the intakes and see if it fires.

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #115 on: Jul 24, 2017, 22:23:43 »
I just tore down the right side carb and it's squeaky clean. If the tiny pilot jet you're talking about is a little hole behind the seat for the needle, it seems clean and I ran a wire pretty deep into it to check. With a little starting fluid I get a warm pipe from the left side and the left carb is also super clean, but the right side pipe doesn't warm up. I got it to fire a couple times but it won't idle, and dies immediately when I give it any throttle.

I have a few print projects I'm working on so I haven't had a ton of time, but I found the wrench I use to get the tappet covers off so I'm gonna do the valve adjustments and make sure they're doing the right stuff at the right time this week.

I've got a little fantasy of taking this thing to a local bike show in September and I really hope that happens.

End of the day it has to be cam timing, compression (borrowed a compression tester and forgot it at my buddy's house haha), or maybe fuel but it seems like it's getting gas.

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #116 on: Jul 25, 2017, 00:17:13 »
sounds like the slow jet circuit is still blocked.  Remove both carbs and strip them completely.

Spray WD40 or carb cleaner down the hole that the air adjustment screw was in.  it should squirt out at the filter side and out of the hole that teh pilot jet was in.  Repeat on the other carb.  Do they both flow more or less the same?

Now spray up through the hole that the pilot jet was in and repeat on the second carb and compare. Do NOT poke wire through jets or drillings.  It will tend to open them up and we want them stock sizes.

Do the same through each of the air drillings and compare one side to the other. 

Also look carefully at the tiny hole on the floor of the bore roughly in line with the front edge of the slide.  You should get spray coming out of there.  That's where the pilot jet flows out into the airstream.

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #117 on: Jul 30, 2017, 22:19:46 »
Alright well I don't have a screw in compression tester handy but with the press in one with the rubber funnel I'm getting 60psi on the left side and nothing on the right. I know without screwing in the gauge these numbers are sketchy at best, but nothing at all on the right side probably isn't wrong.

If I could get the tappet covers off of the exhaust side I'd know if the valves were closing, but I'm more inclined to think it's rings at this point.

Gonna pop the engine out again and work my way back to the rings I guess. What's the spec for the inside diameter of the cylinders? And what's a good source for new rings? The ebay ones I got before these were crap.

This will also give me a chance to double check and make sure my cam timing is right on the way back up I guess.

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #118 on: Jul 31, 2017, 13:33:59 »
That should be around 120-140psi with throttle wide open, so 60/0 is low for sure - assuming you are using a good compression tester.  Some ebay units are total junk and read way low.

When you pull the head off, try the old gas in the combustion chamber trick and see if any seeps out though the ports - one side at a time or with the cam out of course. 

Stock bore is 52mm on all 175s.  Honda sell rings and they are usually available on ebay.  Inspect the rings and pistons as you remove the barrels and see if they are broken or stuck in place.

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #119 on: Aug 15, 2017, 19:55:23 »
Alright, had some time today to get into this thing. I haven't taken the engine all the way off again but I got the valve cover off, or that whole cast piece I guess. These pictures show the camshaft position at the T mark on compression. Looks pretty good to me? Makes me think it's a piston issue after all.
I still can't get the tappet covers off because I keep forgetting to get a socket big enough, but just touching the rockers at TDC and they're all tight except for the right side intake valve, the rocker there jiggles just a tad. I'm assuming that's a valve lash issue and someday I'll adjust it haha.

Any suggestions?