www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 1968 CL175 repair and build  (Read 21122 times)

Offline medicalmechanica

Re: 1968 CL175 repair and build
« Reply #70 on: Mar 05, 2017, 00:42:10 »
I'll have a look for sure! I was able to find cylinders on eBay that came with pistons, and a crank with conrods so those are on their way. In the meantime I've tried to impact every single phillips screw on the case and have basically stripped all of them, so it looks like I'm gonna be drilling them out and replacing them.

Sent from my SM-G935P using DO THE TON mobile app

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #71 on: Mar 05, 2017, 13:08:58 »
That's not unusual.  They do tend to be overtightened and then rust in place. 

The added issue is that they are not actually Phillips screws but JIS which is slightly different in the cross head.  Drill off the heads and remove the cover and the stubs should come out relatively easily

Offline jag767

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Kinesis Moto
« Reply #72 on: Mar 06, 2017, 03:55:22 »
That's not unusual.  They do tend to be overtightened and then rust in place. 

The added issue is that they are not actually Phillips screws but JIS which is slightly different in the cross head.  Drill off the heads and remove the cover and the stubs should come out relatively easily

Funny, of all the issues I have had, this was never one of them. A good pb blaster spraying, following by going around with an impact screwdriver and they'd almost always come out, there'd be one of two I'd have to easy out, but never had to drill a head off. Sometimes I will put a gritty compound in the head, give it a little more to grab on to actually.

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #73 on: Mar 06, 2017, 13:54:10 »
Funny, of all the issues I have had, this was never one of them. A good pb blaster spraying, following by going around with an impact screwdriver and they'd almost always come out, there'd be one of two I'd have to easy out, but never had to drill a head off. Sometimes I will put a gritty compound in the head, give it a little more to grab on to actually.
Man I wish that was the case, I've soaked them and hammered away with my impact driver and they're just stripping at this point. I got one out haha, but the rest are not making it easy.

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #74 on: Mar 07, 2017, 17:12:11 »
Well I've gotten half of them out, and because I'm a professional mechanic I tipped the engine onto the timing plate and poured oil all over the place. Making progress!

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #75 on: Mar 07, 2017, 18:57:26 »
Last summer we were at the races and a buddy was having problems with his shifting and needed to replace the hairpin spring and had no oil, so we laid the bike on its side and pulled the clutch to get to the shifter.  Careful to not lose any oil.

Then we pulled the shift shaft out and stood looking at the broken spring ......................................................as the oil poured out of the hole we just left and ran around our boots and everywhere else.  We all pull a dumb move from time to time.  Stuff happens, so you clean it up and get on with life.

BTW, engines are designed so that however you drain teh oil, there is always enough left lurking inside to make a ridiculous mess at some point in the process.  I usually plop the motor into a large baking tray and that way if/when the oil leaks out, it is contained. I must remembr to take one racing this season - just in case my mate has another problem to fix.

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #76 on: Mar 08, 2017, 14:44:13 »
Last summer we were at the races and a buddy was having problems with his shifting and needed to replace the hairpin spring and had no oil, so we laid the bike on its side and pulled the clutch to get to the shifter.  Careful to not lose any oil.

Then we pulled the shift shaft out and stood looking at the broken spring ......................................................as the oil poured out of the hole we just left and ran around our boots and everywhere else.  We all pull a dumb move from time to time.  Stuff happens, so you clean it up and get on with life.

BTW, engines are designed so that however you drain teh oil, there is always enough left lurking inside to make a ridiculous mess at some point in the process.  I usually plop the motor into a large baking tray and that way if/when the oil leaks out, it is contained. I must remembr to take one racing this season - just in case my mate has another problem to fix.
Ha, I don't feel so bad now. It's on an old kitchen table that I sawed the legs off of so it'd be like chair height, it was headed for the dump anyway so I don't really care if it's covered in oil. I got the left side of the case off last night and there's one more bolt to remove on the right, and then I guess the next step is to crack the case open. I don't think I'll be able to get the conrods off the crank that's in there now with the cylinders and pistons stuck on so I'm going to have to tap them out or something, but I just wanna tear down as much as I can and clean it all up.

If I just soaked all of these parts in like a standard degreaser in a bucket for a while would it do them any harm? I'd take out rubber bits of course, but some of this stuff is so gunky that I wanna soak it and then pressure wash it while I have it all apart.

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #77 on: Mar 08, 2017, 17:31:35 »
If you use degreaser on shafts and gears for example, wash them in hot water and use a can of WD40 to force the water out.  Do not do that on teh crank as it will rust.  Use cans of carb cleaner from Wally World and then follow up with compressed air and WD40.

An alternative is a bath or kerosene or diesel fuel followed by WD40.

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #78 on: Mar 08, 2017, 17:44:09 »
I was more talking about the covers, like the left and right engine covers, the head, etc. Unless I find something really concerning on the new crank it's going right in, and I really don't want to mess with any of the transmission stuff.

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #79 on: Mar 08, 2017, 18:02:40 »
For covers you can spray them with whatever cleaner you want and then scrub them with a sponge and dishwashing soap or liquid hand soap and sprayu them clean.