www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 1968 CL175 repair and build  (Read 13045 times)

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: 1968 CL175 repair and build
« Reply #90 on: Apr 04, 2017, 23:59:21 »
Pry both circlips out of the piston.  Heat piston with a propane/MAP/butane torch or with a heat gun or hair dryer or wrap it in hot towels and then gently knock the pin out with a suitable long (deep) socket as you support the piston from the other side.

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #91 on: Apr 05, 2017, 01:51:51 »
I didn't think to use a heat gun, but I did hammer the guts out of it with a socket extension for a while and it's getting there.

Looking ahead, is there a certain position I need to have the gears in when I reinstall them?

Sent from my SM-G935P using DO THE TON mobile app

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #92 on: Apr 05, 2017, 20:16:57 »
Not really.  The shafts just drop into the top half case.  Make sure it's in neutral and that all the gears spin.

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #93 on: Apr 12, 2017, 22:39:46 »
Alright, after half a can of PB Blaster, a heat gun, a potentially broken knuckle, and the sacrifice of a small socket extension, the piston is finally off! I've cleaned up the inside of the cases and cleaned everything inside them, so once I've gone to the hardware store and replaced everything with Grade 8 stuff or hex bolts, I'll be ready to put it all back together.

Couple questions though.. In the pictures I've pointed out holes for what I'm assuming are retaining pins, and I don't have them. I'd like to think that they were never there, but it's more likely that I lost them somewhere. Does anyone know what they're called, or where I can get them, or at least an acceptable substitute for them? I feel like I could cut some metal rods and throw them in there but they're probably cheap enough to just buy.
In the last picture are the gear fork things, again I don't have a name for them, but what position do they need to be in when I put all the gears back in?

Thanks!

PS I'm obviously going to clean the mating surfaces of the cases before they go back together. Got some honda bond somewhere to use for that.

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #94 on: Apr 12, 2017, 23:15:07 »
Most of us call them dowels and HONDA calls then knock pins or something like that.  Last time I needed some I got them from my local Honda dealer.  Not all of those holes have pins.  On the main bearings one each are pins and the others are for oil IIRC.

The gear selector forks go into slots in teh various gears.  Two on one gear shaft and one on the other. Jiggle teh shafts and gears into place and get it into neutral and you should be good to go. 

Before you assemble it, clean the two mating faces and wipe them clean with acetone and then apply a THIN smear of Threebond to one face.  Honda twins of that era are assembled upside down.  Large blocks of wood are useful to prop up the back of the cases and don't forget to fit the cam chain and do not fit the sump plate until the cam chain is fully fitted.

Did you clean out the bottom case under those splash plates?

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #95 on: Apr 20, 2017, 18:07:02 »
Do these look right? I separated the gears accidentally and I just can't understand the service manual's instructions on how they go. One of the gear selectors is on one set, two on the other. I have no idea how to get neutral from here but I'm hoping to put the case back together today.

Edit: Yeah I did figure out how to get those plates off and clean them, and I'm working on the mating surfaces now to prep for honda bond.

« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2017, 18:08:42 by medicalmechanica »

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #96 on: Apr 25, 2017, 01:00:10 »
That looks fine.

Slip the gear shift lever on and cycle through the gears while turning one of the shafts by hand.  It will soon be obvious if they are correct.  if teh dogs hit each other, keep rotating the shaft until they slip into engagement.

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #97 on: Apr 27, 2017, 00:25:06 »
Looks like I'm good then. Got the case back together today, and the clutch and oil slinger thing all on. I somehow got completely wrong side gaskets so I'm waiting on those and then we'll be bolted up. Pics soon.

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #98 on: Apr 28, 2017, 00:54:38 »
Many gasket sets are for "vertical" ie 1970 on 175s.  Sloper 175 was one year only.  We use 160 side cover gaskets IIRC

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #99 on: Apr 28, 2017, 02:07:38 »
Yeah I can't seem to find the right shape for them as 175s, so I'm gonna have a look at the 160s and see if that works. Thanks!