www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 1968 CL175 repair and build  (Read 21216 times)

Offline medicalmechanica

Re: 1968 CL175 repair and build
« Reply #150 on: Mar 24, 2019, 19:14:36 »
Whooo boy dead thread revive!

I've been super busy and tinkering around in between so here's a dump of photos.
My buddy, whose dad I bought the bike from, has a graveyard of old parts laying around so we stole some shorter signals and some other stuff, as well as cleaned up wiring, replaced the bars, and some more sketchy tinkering.

The bike starts but has some shitty old gas, and the right cylinder doesn't seem to fire right now so the float valve is probs stuck again.

I replaced two of three cables, and got everything back together, so as soon as I can sort out a tiny oil leak and that right cylinder I'll be in business. I'd really like to get a good riding season out of the bike this year so here's hoping!

Sent from my SM-N950U using DO THE TON mobile app

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #151 on: Apr 07, 2019, 20:46:12 »
Back again!

Fixed the right cylinder not firing issue by cleaning the gnarly gunk out of the float valve and putting it back together. Turns out the valve would stick a little here and there, which was causing an on again off again problem, but it's solved now.

On to new problems with easy solutions hah.

The bike doesn't want to idle for more than maybe 30 seconds. If I give it a goose while it's running I get a little smoky puff out of the left hand exhaust pipe, so I'm assuming that because it's not sealing all the way that's probably a good place to start.

I guess I'll have to remove and replace those exhaust studs after all and get some new crush washer things for the exhaust.

After that, I've got a couple small leaks around the covers that are likely due to a PO gouging those surfaces up, so I'll have to maybe use something to seal them in.

Very nearly done and rideable, but it seems like the tinkering may just never end haha.

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2019, 16:10:40 »
Back again! I'm the only one reading these at this point haha but some progress has been made.

I had a leak coming out of the right side of the engine, basically oil was just pouring out of the cover for the oil filter so I replaced the gaskets there inside and out and it's fixed now.

The bike is running great, so of course I had to do something silly and that's where we are now.

I was able to pick up a super cheap spare seat on eBay so I saved the original one just in case. I cut down the back of the replacement to make it a little flatter, welded some supports into the seat frame, and built the ugliest foam seat in the history of the earth to put on it.

From there, I softened it up with some light upholstery foam and batting, shaped everything, and after about 5 attempts at making my own cover I gave up and had a local shop make one for me.

The last picture is the seat as it sits now before pulling the cover over the little tabs under the seat, which I'll do shortly and reinstall it on the bike. I wanted something flat, but the most important thing for me is not modifying the frame of the bike at all so this seemed like a decent compromise.

I got a nice little tail light so I don't need a rear fender and I'll be tacking in a bracket to mount that and the license plate on when it's registered, and we'll have a rideable little scooter for my trips to the gym and back haha.

I still have a little seeping coming from the shift lever, which I think is because the c clip that holds the gasket against the case is just worn out so that'll get replaced soon and we'll be ready to rock.

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2019, 16:14:40 »
Seat looks good. Shift shaft seal is a pretty common leak and easy to replace from the outside.

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #154 on: Jun 02, 2019, 16:27:52 »
Seat on, lookin rad haha. Some quick carb tuning and a new shift seal soon and shazam it'll be on the road.

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #155 on: Jun 08, 2019, 16:28:14 »
Needs some fenders at both ends to stop rocks and water and to stop that flimsy front end from twisting in the wind.

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #156 on: Jun 08, 2019, 16:33:22 »
Needs some fenders at both ends to stop rocks and water and to stop that flimsy front end from twisting in the wind.
Yup, I'm looking around for cheap original replacements to chop a little bit, but it'll work for now. I've found a few front and rear options for pretty cheap so they'll get ordered pretty soon.