www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Getting rid of the "triangle" side covers?  (Read 2823 times)

Offline thefish

Re: Getting rid of the "triangle" side covers?
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2016, 19:10:57 »
I'm doing the same on my 82 440 and honestly you can move a lot of the electrical components onto the seat brackets

Sent from my iPad using DO THE TON

What about the battery - what are you doing for that?

Offline wanted9

« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2016, 11:51:51 »
I am welding a piece of sheet metal to the tail and since I have a seat cowl, it won't be seen but if you do that, you have to get a non spill able battery

Offline thefish

« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2016, 12:35:28 »
I am welding a piece of sheet metal to the tail and since I have a seat cowl, it won't be seen but if you do that, you have to get a non spill able battery

Ah gotcha. That may be a project for later. Still working on getting it running.. gotta clean the carbs!

Offline wanted9

« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2016, 12:38:27 »
What's wrong with the carbs?

Offline thefish

« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2016, 13:44:39 »
What's wrong with the carbs?

Dirty. Bike won't run without the gunk being cleaned up.

Offline steveinwa

« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2016, 13:55:41 »
You can buy an antigravity battery 4 3/8" L x 1 3/8" W x 3 1/2", it's much smaller and can be laid on it's side flat, then build a little drop box that just extends down a couple inches from your current bottom of the seat, then you should be able to stuff a lot of the electrical into that without a ton of re-wiring. so a 4" box with padding should hold it and the frame is probably a couple inches so it would only hand down 2.
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2016, 14:00:14 by steveinwa »
“He was old and wise, which meant tired and disappointed...”
― T.E. Lawrence
Bikes, Boats and Cars in Anacortes, WA
1999 V Star 650 $500
1980 KZ550 $475
2007 Yamaha Virago 250 $600 1,500 miles
2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R Wrecked
2005 Kawasaki 125 bought $500 sold $1,200

Offline wanted9

« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2016, 13:55:52 »
Are they the original ones

Offline thefish

« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2016, 14:02:31 »
Been thinking of putting a sheet of metal over the side cover instead of painting the original. Any thoughts or ideas on that?

Offline thefish

« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2016, 14:05:24 »
You can buy an antigravity battery 4 3/8" L x 1 3/8" W x 3 1/2", it's much smaller and can be laid on it's side flat, then build a little drop box that just extends down a couple inches from your current bottom of the seat, then you should be able to stuff a lot of the electrical into that without a ton of re-wiring. so a 4" box with padding should hold it and the frame is probably a couple inches so it would only hand down 2.

Thanks man! Doesn't sound that over complicating. For now I'm thinking of putting some sheet metal over the electronics to take place of the side cover. Any thoughts or ideas on that?

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2016, 14:28:13 »
Thanks man! Doesn't sound that over complicating. For now I'm thinking of putting some sheet metal over the electronics to take place of the side cover. Any thoughts or ideas on that?

You'll have to almost replicate the factory side panels as the electrics usually stick out from the frame a bit, so a flat sheet will not cover very well. You'll end up fabricating a replica unless you move the electrics and reduce the bulge required.

If you don't want to move the electrics, maybe just remodel the stock panel, add vent holes or slots/gills and paint it tank colour or satin black to hide it a bit. Don't lose sight of the overall look you're wanting....no point going to all this trouble to not modify other areas to suit.

I'm covering my electrics on my Honda CBX with a leather saddlebag on one side and a scrambler number roundel on the other.
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2016, 14:30:25 by NoRiders »