82 Kawasaki KZ750M Café Project

tv_cafewannabe

Starting this thread to document my build project. This is my first real project bike. Thing is remarkably clean with only 9600 miles. It's going to be a challenge but I got it running and now the build starts.

581ad9becef2691e0b6156cd95bd54e7.jpg

As purchased

ca54b9ba833d48e00511754f5e7981a3.jpg

As it currently sits

Ideas and feedback more than welcome.

-Tyler

Sent from my SM-G900P using DO THE TON mobile app

First design question:

I lowered the front 1.5". I plan to go with clipons (no riser) above the top triple tree. Most I see have them below, but my goal is two fold: 1. Bit more upright seating position. 2. Not a huge fan of the stancions sticking up over the triple tree, so clipons would kind of diguise that. Thoughts?
9135bc13476e1b893d0b41ab5b007728.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using DO THE TON mobile app

Hey man, I just picked up an '83 Kawi 750LTD and it'll be my first "build" as well. Maybe we can help each other out some with ideas and whatnot.

I haven't gotten mine running just yet, but I haven't started on that. Still need to remove rust from the tank.

I'd say that clip-ons would definitely hide it, but then again what do I know?

Most will tell you that dropping the stanchions through the top tree is a bad idea. It will effect your handling making the bike "twitchy" into corners. You can try it, ride it and note the changes. The good thing about it is you can always just raise them back up. Tarozzi makes "high rise" clipons with different offset dimensions that will give the look/feel of clipons but a more upright position.

Clipon_Cat_pic.jpg

Sounds great, man. That model is still a twin, right? The four cyclinders certainly offer the power advantage, but the twin has a better exhaust note and certainly closer to the original "cafe" heritage.

Looking forward to seeing your project progress.

advCo said:
Most will tell you that dropping the stanchions through the top tree is a bad idea. It will effect your handling making the bike "twitchy" into corners. You can try it, ride it and note the changes.

Yeah, I'm aware of the concerns there, but with the CSR model I don't think it will be a problem. In fact, the bit of extra "twitch" should make it feel more nimble. The CSR has stock rake of 28.5 deg with 112mm trail (would be longer but the CSR has a leading axel). Dropping the triple trees by 1-1.5" should keep the rake and trail numbers in the green zone. I'm used to sportbikes with way steep head angles and less trail, granted they have the suspension setting for it. I think it should be ok, but I'm open to opinions for sure.

Thanks,
Tyler

Back
Top Bottom