www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: My first build - 75 Honda CL360 Scrambler  (Read 21444 times)

Offline djsmiles

Re: My first build - 75 Honda CL360 Scrambler
« Reply #350 on: Sep 14, 2018, 15:39:35 »
so my right idle jet was clogged a little bit. when I drained the right float bowl there were a bunch of little particles that came out with it, most likely rust. that Red Kote product I put in the tank is pretty much all gone and the fuel is tinted slightly red. a friend just told me to not use ethanol gasoline which I've always used trying to support our Iowa farmers but I'll stop using it for my bike at least. then this winter I'll strip the tank again and do a better job by not using Red Kote. I reinstalled the fuel filters that common motor told me I didn't need because there's a filter in the petcock. obviously not a very good filter.

Offline pidjones

« Reply #351 on: Sep 14, 2018, 18:05:57 »
Definitely keep far from ethanol gasoline in any carburated engine! Supporting Brazilion sugar farmers doesn't help engines run well. Always run a clear paper element filter between petcock and carbs in older bikes. If you re-coat the tank, please avoid Kreem. It is soluble in acetone, which makes it easy to remove but makes it susceptible to fuel additives. Many like POR-15, which I have no experience with but love their engine paint. Actually, get the tank clean and keep it filled with non-alcohol gas and you should be good.
"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"

Offline djsmiles

« Reply #352 on: Sep 14, 2018, 18:08:54 »
Thanks, I just read a bunch of reviews on Caswell which are very positive. So the bike is running good, it still had little backfires when decelerating and it's not charging. Seems like I'll never be done

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #353 on: Sep 14, 2018, 21:36:48 »
it still had little backfires when decelerating and it's not charging. Seems like I'll never be done

Backfires on engine braking deceleration are completely fine and normal for any decently tuned carbureted engine.  Its the lean condition cause by closing the butterfly.

As long as it recovers idle quickly without dying when you do pull the clutch and stop. 

If you pull the clutch and close throttle completely - using brakes or just coasting to decelerate.  It wont pop on decel because the engine drops to idle quickly as it isn't force pulling much air through the carbs. 
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2018, 21:40:44 by trek97 »

Offline stroker crazy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • crazy as a fox
« Reply #354 on: Sep 14, 2018, 21:47:21 »
I just read a bunch of reviews on Caswell which are very positive.

+1!

Crazy
“Ride like the Wind” W.H.

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #355 on: Sep 15, 2018, 19:19:28 »
So the bike is running good, it still had little backfires when decelerating and it's not charging. Seems like I'll never be done
It's probably sucking air back because of exhaust 'length'
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0