1975 XLCH Sportster Hardtail Chopper Turn Around The Junk Draw Special

canyoncarver said:
You got a hell of a deal on that, good on ya for saving it.

Yea, the bike was in the wrong hands and he was getting desperate. I stuck to my guns and got it for that. Came with another peanut tank, a HF bike jack, a trickle charger, and brand new Willie and Sam softtail bags. I could probably unload the extras and take offs for close to what I paid for the whole thing.

verboten1 said:
I never thought I would say this about an old sporty, but I like it! Nice job cleaning it up.

First time for everything!

goforgator said:
I'm in! Looking good so far.

Stay Tuned!

you got a hell of a deal and you're doing some great work, keep it up

but.....what the hell inspired someone to do that to (just about) the only decent looking Harley the factory ever built (new XR1200's not too bad looking thing too)

irk said:
Cool man, looking forward to this.

Welcome to the jungle!

spotty said:
you got a hell of a deal and you're doing some great work, keep it up

but.....what the hell inspired someone to do that to (just about) the only decent looking Harley the factory ever built (new XR1200's not too bad looking thing too)

Tell me about it. My dad has a few factory original bikes including a '77 XLH that is almost immaculate, Seeing this and then his makes me wonder how it could get so far in the wrong direction. I have repop '75 Red White and Blue AMF decals that will probably end up on this bike (at least on one of the (2) Tanks i'm planning to swap on and off

I got the Choke/Key/Coil/Push button "dash" finalized today. Took the head bolts out to get the Red paint off of those, and drained the old varnished gas. It still doesn't seem to want to stay idling, but the battery isn't fully charged and it was about 30 degrees here in the shop. Still a great feeling to hear it kick over again and sound strong. It's also very very loud

Got the hardtail parts and some other misc stuff in the mail. Here's the current mock of it. The P Pad should be here today so I can see if I even want to run it.

20161208_201303_zpscmmhsijz.jpg~original

In other news, one thing led to another this weekend and my Dad and I got another $1000 special to turn around and maybe make some money on.

20161211_154529_zpsoyk0rcws.jpg~original

spotty said:
^^^^^^^ turn it into an XLCR......

My uncle actually just got a real one a few weeks ago. The maroon one will probably be restyled like a Stock '72 XLH and flipped if I get it running

Well, I've been distracted by the ugly duckling because it's too cold in the shop to start the frame fixed.

This is coming along though so it should be a money maker
20161215_210309_zps5rasemfz.jpg~original

Seat, Rebuilt Bendix, etc.
IMG_20161215_191151_zps75vyd4wn.jpeg~original

NoHonestlyitsme said:
Well, I've been distracted by the ugly duckling because it's too cold in the shop to start the frame fixed.

This is coming along though so it should be a money maker
20161215_210309_zps5rasemfz.jpg

Seat, Rebuilt Bendix, etc.
IMG_20161215_191151_zps75vyd4wn.jpeg

Unacceptable. Back to the chopper immediately.

So I made it through the Holiday and bought a few parts for both bikes. The Chopper was going to have TC bros legs welded into it, but I just wasn't happy with the potential end result. So I ordered a 4" Stretch, 2" drop David Bird straight leg back half so I can actually trust the frame. I also got the diamond P Pad to throw more shapes once the frame is figured out.

20161227_210839_zpszjcvzzom.jpeg~original

The 72 XLH is on it's way too

IMG_20161222_223951_zpsfhhfpqmk.jpeg~original

So In preparation for the David Bird section, I stripped the rear off the Chopper to start cutting off the hack job that was on there. I have it almost cut off, but my last cutoff wheel gave up on me last night so I'm done until I get some more today. I also convinced my dad that the 16" Hog wheel would work better on the rigid and the 18" can match with the "resto" on the '72 so I can get rid of the low pro Duro tire finally.

IMG_20170103_192323_zpsleulc5zh.jpeg~original

Here you can really see how they cut the upper shock mount section out and then cut the dropouts off and welded the oversized section in to the back bone. It was solid, but I wasn't about to stand behind it
IMG_20170103_203703_zpsep6beojf.jpeg~original

Now it's a waiting game for the new Harttail to come so I can get things rolling on the fender/seat/sissy parts of this bitch

IMG_20170103_203920_zpsnn2yi808.jpeg~original

Also got some Paulson bubbles for some of my shelf helmets

20170103_174224_zpsxnbex9i9.jpg~original

So after 4 weeks waiting on the Hardtail with 4-6 left to wait, someone on my local Craigslist posted the exact one I ordered, for $100 less BNIB. So now we're back on track. I measured my stock '72 for my measurements and the old back half, and found it to be +4, -1.5. The David Bird kit is +4, -2 but it seems to sit pretty low. I'm going to run a taller tire so that will help.

Lots of fab to come once I finally dial in the direction. I will probably get a new rear fender, but we'll see.

So I knew there would be horror under the gusset on the hardtail and I was not surprised to see that the coping on the dropout was about 1/2" away from the back bone.
DSC_0155_zps76dw0nvw.jpg~original

DSC_0153_zpsxm81s91v.jpg~original

I have a bit more finishing to do from the old welds, but most of it is done and hidden under the David Bird set up.

The Solo and Pillion Pad will probably replace the Baron seat.

DSC_0157_zpstaq13utk.jpg~original

DSC_0158_zps7zlmbgw6.jpg~original

Also swapped the tweaked Buckhorns off for some Stock low pull backs.
DSC_0161_zpsvccj0knm.jpg~original

DSC_0166_zps334upaar.jpg~original

Got my Bars squared away last night. I think they are Roadking bars or something like that. The black set that came on it was the same, but wrinkle painted. I've been thinking of doing this for a while so last night I just went for it. I narrowed the black set first to make sure I liked the bends, and it was perfect. Also decided to go back to the hooded, brush alum Lucas taillight and plate mount.

Terrible picture again, but this is where I'm at. Finally liking the proportions. From end is next on the list of things to sort out.

IMG_20170201_220750_zpssksakydg.jpeg~original

Back
Top Bottom