www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: My little kz440 project  (Read 368 times)

Offline Venderbroeck

Re: My little kz440 project
« Reply #10 on: Aug 10, 2019, 13:09:36 »
I had a little more time to play with the frame today, despite the stormy weather.
I was ready to tack stuff to the frame when I found some more convenient bolt holes to use!

How does this look to you guys?

I also bought a pre formed 15 degree upswept hoop that I could use as a base:

After a bit of massaging (this stuff doesn't easily bend) I got it as close as I could:

Once I cut the frame, I should be able to get it to fit I think.
I'm waiting with that until I find someone that can weld it all back together again in a proper fashion.

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #11 on: Aug 10, 2019, 13:48:23 »
The tubes do not need to be chrome moly and there are good reasons to use mild steel - that's what the rest of the frame is.

Just a thought but instead of all that cutting and welding, how about just making a "flat" section for the seat and weld it on top of the existing frame tubes.  It won't be as "elegant" but it would be much simpler and you won't need a frame jig to hold it all square and there's a lot less welding involved, so less distortion and less cost potentially.

The seat mount flat section could be tube or just angle iron which is easier to mount a set on.

Offline Venderbroeck

« Reply #12 on: Aug 10, 2019, 14:12:10 »
I thought about something like that to make the seat work. It has a lot of advantages, but I really like the look when it's done the way I'm trying to do it now.
It will be a bit of a learning experience as well, with minimal cost invested so far.
That is also the reason I started with this part before doing anything else. If it all goes pear shaped and it's a total loss, at least the loss will be as minimal as it can be.
Of course I'm trying not to have that happen, which is partly why I'm here.

Btw, thanks for your input on the chromoly. The tubes I bought are mild steel, as others also indicated it would be just fine to use.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2019, 14:15:03 by Venderbroeck »