www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: The next endeavour...GS450E  (Read 2454 times)

Offline Vortexjunkie

The next endeavour...GS450E
« on: Jan 07, 2017, 01:04:59 »
What's up guys!  Been a while since I posted so I wanted to catch up and show you guys what I have been up to.

So like I posted in my other thread I bought a second GS450E.  The po stated the bike had lost some power and that he just parked it after that.  I picked it up for 150.00 so I wasn't really CO corned with the condition of the motor.  I was thinking that it may have just jumped timing.

The day I picked it up.

So after I got it home I started checking things out.  I did a compression test and both cylinders were very low. 90psi a side.  I put new plugs in it and checked the oil and dropped a new battery in it.  Primed it and it started right up.  There was some slight tapping from the bottom end but it cleared up after a second.  I had the bike running for 5-10 mins and then boom.  The engine came to an abrupt stop.  No dice.  Tried to crank it and that bad boy was locked up tight..

So I got started tearing it apart. 

Oh boy.. glitter fest in the oil filter.

Pulled the oil pan and found this....

Needless to say the motor is a total loss. 

Time to start the search for the new motor...

Instagram: @Vortexjunkie

« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2017, 16:19:22 by Vortexjunkie »

Offline Vortexjunkie

Re: The next endeavour...GS450E
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2017, 01:14:19 »
After a few months of searching I finally found a motor on eBay.  This was a little frightening as the as stated 798 original miles.  I requested additional info and the seller was more than happy to answer all my questions.  I decided to pull the trigger and pick it up since it was offered with a warranty.

I made an appointment with a local shop to me called Spears Racing.  If you guys don't know who they are check them out.  They are in Manteca Ca.  They specialize in race bikes but since I have known Greg for a little time he offered to give the motor a once over and leakdown test the motor and reseal everything and do a valve adjustment.  I had less tha 5% leak down per cylinder and the valves were all within spec.  The motor looks SOOO clean inside I actually believe the miles are accurate!

Side note: He also had this in the shop.  Drool

I just brought the motor home so now the real work begins!  Stay tuned!!!!

Offline jimmer

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2017, 09:34:57 »
I have always been a fan of those GS's, especially that color. That is a nice project.
Yamaha Blaster Bike                                                                  Suzuki T500 Titan Twingle

Offline Vortexjunkie

« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2017, 18:40:47 »
I have always been a fan of those GS's, especially that color. That is a nice project.
Yeah.  Not sure what I'm going to do as far as the color.

Some progress today.  I got the old motor all the way out.

This me genius way of being able get it out of the frame.

Offline Dwayne

« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2017, 12:06:57 »
Going to follow this.

I'm in the process of gathering up parts to do a full restoration of a 1980 GS450E. My reason is sentimental as my first bike was one of these almost identical to yours except for the front fender which was chrome. I would love to have that first bike again but after the passage of 35 years it's probably been recycled for scrap.
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2017, 12:08:46 by Dwayne »

Offline Vortexjunkie

« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2017, 19:11:14 »
Going to follow this.

I'm in the process of gathering up parts to do a full restoration of a 1980 GS450E. My reason is sentimental as my first bike was one of these almost identical to yours except for the front fender which was chrome. I would love to have that first bike again but after the passage of 35 years it's probably been recycled for scrap.
Awesome to hear that you are working on doing a full resto.  I will unfortunately not be keeping this looking as factory as you will.  Depending where you are I may be able to offer you a few of the oem parts as most will be replaced.  Things like the tail light, seat, tail with cubby and maybe even the from fender!

Offline Vortexjunkie

« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2017, 19:19:30 »
OK.  Mid day update.  I have the new motor out in the garage and I started comparing some of the plugs on the new motor to the old.  Seems the motors have been updated at some point.  All of the plugs on the electronics on the motor are slightly different.

I just got done replacing the stator with the one from the original motor since the seller took that out.  I also needed to swap the gear shift indicator switch.

Full disclosure this motor I received is told to be from a 1987 bike.

Offline Dwayne

« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2017, 19:41:04 »
Awesome to hear that you are working on doing a full resto.  I will unfortunately not be keeping this looking as factory as you will.  Depending where you are I may be able to offer you a few of the oem parts as most will be replaced.  Things like the tail light, seat, tail with cubby and maybe even the from fender!

I'm in Oklahoma City. I'll take just about anything you're willing to part with if the price and shipping cost is within reason. I've gathered up a substantial amount of parts in the past month off of ebay but definitely would be interested in your cast offs.

Offline Vortexjunkie

« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2017, 20:20:19 »
I'm in Oklahoma City. I'll take just about anything you're willing to part with if the price and shipping cost is within reason. I've gathered up a substantial amount of parts in the past month off of ebay but definitely would be interested in your cast offs.
Sounds good!  I send you some pics or if you can pm me what all you need!

Offline Vortexjunkie

« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2017, 20:20:53 »
Motor in!!!!