www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: The next endeavour...GS450E  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Vortexjunkie

Re: The next endeavour...GS450E
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2017, 04:26:08 »
OK I ran into an issue tonight while working on getting things hooked up.  I see that the plug on the pulse generator is different.  So I though I'll just switch the plate that has the wires attached to it.  Well... I got in there and the units look totally different.

Original motor

New motor

The wires seem to be the same colors and configuration but the plug is different and the unit looks different. 

Can I just swap the plug and soder the old plug in or can I swap the units?  Is there anything I risk messing up if this not installed right?  Is there any type of timing adjustments?  Please lend your knowledge!

Instagram: @Vortexjunkie
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2017, 22:23:19 by Vortexjunkie »

Offline Vortexjunkie

« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2017, 22:21:30 »
Did a little reading in my manual last night and was able to get this figured out.  I swapped the entire unit and pulse generator post over to the new unit.  Resealed the case and we are back on track.

Next up will be getting the carbs all setup and good to go after hooking up all of the harnesses. 

I am waiting on my new chain and sprockets from SprocketCenter.com.  they didn't have a kit just listed so they made one for me.  I jumped up a tooth on the front to help with the top end of the bike and bring the rpm down a bit.  I went with a newer O ring style chain as I figured it would last a bit longer than most.

I am also waiting on my dealership to get my cam chain tensioner gaskets in that I ordered today.

This is really turning into a fun project.

Offline Vortexjunkie

« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2017, 18:23:26 »
Alright.  A little update.  I have been on hold while finding tires for the bike but at last I made a choice and pulled the trigger.  I went with a set of Avon Roadriders.  Love how they look and I can't wait to get on the road with them.

With the rear off and the old tire on the frot.

New Tires and cleaned wheels.

Along with this I went with a new set of sprockets and a new chain.  I was looking for a bit more top end out of the bike so I jumped to a 17 tooth front sprocket and a standard 45 rear.  I opted for a nice solid o-ring chain.  I installed all of this last night and will be working on the wiring tonight.

« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2017, 10:46:02 by Vortexjunkie »

Offline Vortexjunkie

« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2017, 01:36:00 »
Update on where I'm at.  I have most of the wiring gone through and some issues repaired.  I have been thinking about what do do about the carbs.  In my manual I found this page:

I saw it said for a factory upgrade on cv carbs to slide carbs to contact Suzuki City.  I hoped on the net and located a dealer in the south that followed the name scheme.  When I called and explained to the parts guy that I found a listing in a 30 year old book he said, That's good because we are a 30 year old dealer..lol.

Sad thing when he told me he didn't carry them anymore but directed me to sudco.com.  I hoped in the horn and called them and they knew exactly what I was talking about.  Second awesome part... they are in CA.  I got my order placed and tomorrow my brand new slide carbs, pod filters cable kit and install guide shows up!  I will post a picture when they get here.  Carbs are coming prejet for filters and aftermarket exhaust but will require a small about of fine tuning. 

I am still unsure what I would like to do with the exhaust.  I'm very open to suggestions!

« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2017, 10:49:03 by Vortexjunkie »

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2017, 02:24:35 »
Looking good man. New carbs will do you right.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
"He broke the mirrors off his Cadillac, 'cause he doesn't like it looking like he looks back."

74 CB360 - Luna - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=63294.0
82 GS550L - Tracker-ish - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=67229.0 - Sold
74 XL350 - The Turd - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70252.0
Suzuki FA50 "No-Ped" - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=71189.0
73 Suzuki RV125 -http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=73875.0

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2017, 07:05:30 »
Watching this one! 8)

Offline Vortexjunkie

« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2017, 02:46:32 »
Looking good man. New carbs will do you right.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Watching this one! 8)
This just in hot off the truck!

Offline Vortexjunkie

« Reply #17 on: Mar 24, 2017, 04:04:14 »
Test fit in and completed!

Offline alemonkey

« Reply #18 on: Mar 24, 2017, 09:07:38 »
Very cool...my first bike was a GS450S that looked exactly like yours, same color and everything, but had a factory fairing.  Man I wish I had that bike back.

Offline Vortexjunkie

« Reply #19 on: Mar 25, 2017, 05:20:47 »
Very cool...my first bike was a GS450S that looked exactly like yours, same color and everything, but had a factory fairing.  Man I wish I had that bike back.
The more I look at the color the more I like it...