www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Regulator wiring with Motogadget M-unit  (Read 935 times)

Offline b5iveS4

Regulator wiring with Motogadget M-unit
« on: Jul 30, 2015, 21:42:18 »
I'm finishing up the wiring on my '77 XS360 and the last thing I'm stuck on is wiring up the 2 regulator wires. I have a new 7 wire rectifier/regulator combo. The rectifier wiring is fine, 3 whites from the stator, red to power and black to ground.
The issue I'm having is the wiring on the 2 regulator wires. The green from the harness goes to green(I assume) and then theres a brown wire.
On the stock harness, the brown wire only appears at the plug to the regulator and from the regulator, it branches off throughout the harness connecting to various circuits, mostly turn signals, brake switch and horn, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm wondering if I can just run brown from the regulator to a random circuit in the m/unit or maybe to the AUX port? Doesn't it just need to keep an eye on voltage so that it can compensate for a loss or spike in voltage? If this is super confusing, I'll try to clear it up. I have wiring diagrams as well as photos of the actual harness if needed. Thanks!

Offline DeanJ

Re: Regulator wiring with Motogadget M-unit
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2015, 17:41:15 »
The brown and green power the field coil , the combo unit identifies low voltage limit and energizes the coil to begin alternator output.  The reg then cuts field coil power to cease charging when charge is attained.  make sense?

It is easy to understand on my simplified diagram here: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=62814.msg715964#msg715964

Offline b5iveS4

« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2015, 22:54:50 »
Still confused haha. I really appreciate your help and I'm excited it's on the same bike too! The only thing is that on the Motogadget M-unit, each circuit is individual...so from your diagram, it looks like I'd tie brown into the + wire on the coils. Super confused. I've even talked to revival cycles in Austin since they use them so much and they're not really sure either. Just told me to test wires until it works. Solid advice I suppose haha

Offline datadavid

« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2017, 15:21:41 »
I need to raise this question from the dead.. having a haunting issue with overcharging when hooking up the regulator to the m-gadget unit. Like it cant read and regulate the current and constantly powers the field coil!

Offline Sonreir™

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2017, 15:51:21 »
I need to raise this question from the dead.. having a haunting issue with overcharging when hooking up the regulator to the m-gadget unit. Like it cant read and regulate the current and constantly powers the field coil!

Make, model, and year?
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline datadavid

« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2017, 07:33:08 »
Make, model, and year?
Xs750, all are the same principle charging system so no difference between the years, except late models had combined r/r unit.
I believe i solved my own problem last night though - previously i powered the field coil through the aux outlet on the m-unit.
Now i hooked it in on the ignition switch, so it got a true signal straight from the battery, unmodulated by the m-unit. Also + and - was switched on the field coil. When the current took the right way around i got correct and stable readings of 14.2 all through the rev range.

Offline Sonreir™

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2017, 10:12:52 »
Right on.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics