www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Coffee Shop KZ650  (Read 5134 times)

Offline flip_rip

Re: Coffee Shop KZ650
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2017, 17:17:27 »
I'm interested too. Ive heard good things about the conti's. I'll post up a quick review when I have some time on them.

I know there will be some kind of compromise, but I'm looking forward to checking it out. I think right around a 24in seat length is the min for a 2 up. Maybe 22 if you have a small person on the back, and as it sits in the photo, thats about 20. So hmmm. I challenge for sure!

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2017, 17:20:50 »
also im worried the fork stanchions hiding under those gators are rusted to crap. have you peaked under them yet?

Offline flip_rip

« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2017, 17:28:29 »
I have and theyre not awful. I was pretty worried too after seeing how corroded the engine was, but it seems this was the only thing the PO left on to protect something haha.

I'll still pull and rebuild them while the frame is being painted. Then once the bike is all running, I'll start fiddling with tuning them to match whichever shocks I decide on. Little torn between some YSS, Fox Podiums, maybe some TECs. I'm not sure. It would be ideal to get something that is at least adjustable.

Offline flip_rip

« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2017, 15:29:36 »
So the tail is finished. There isn't a good way to do a removable cowl on this simply because the whole assembly sits under the seat, not over it. I stared at it for a good 2 hours before I decided to just re position. I decided on a 22in seat length. This means the seat ends at the rear axle, and the ducktail goes to just over the edge of the rear tire. I'm not too concerned with following the BikeEXIF cafe racer rules haha. It should be plenty of room for 2 passengers and the lines of the bike still look really good. No need to totally throw Kawasaki's designers ideas out the door!

I got the engine out and cleaned the frame. I drop off the head and cylinders with new pistons and rings this Saturday to be machined and honed. I'm sticking with stock bore diameter, but shaving the head to increase compression a tad. After some clean up and paint the motor will be ready to go! I got the new Dyna S system on order along with the 3 phase reg/rec/stator upgrade.

So all my parts should be just about in. I got the new head light soft mounted, so now I can start to paint the triples. Then just need to paint the frame. All the fab work is done on the frame. I de-tabbed and re-positioned the rear ducktail and fabricated new mounts for it. I also made mounts for the new seat and battery box to fit in. I decided to not keep the side covers. They just make the middle of the bike look bulky. Not a fan. Although before you go too crazy on me....yes there will be a fender to protect the back of the motor. I have a neat idea to keep things minimal.

Lots of parts came in this week, just need to get the frame and forks painted and I can start assembling everything!

I think I may end up putting on longer shocks (current are 13in (330mm) with 80mm of stroke), but I'll wait until the motor is back in to start figuring out how tall I want it to sit, and how much it will affect handling. That may be a very last step.

But here it is as it sits! Also rebuilt the carbs last night with all new internals. Slowly making progress!

Offline deej

« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2017, 18:11:46 »
How'd you mount the hella 500? I found an extra one from my Jeep and was considering it this past weekend

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Offline flip_rip

« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2017, 18:59:21 »
I'm not sure if you can see from the photos, but I used the mount where the brake light switch used to sit in the middle of the lower triple. There are 2 forward facing holes, so I just made one of these little adapters from a piece of angle aluminum.

Not my photo, but that is what mine ended up looking like.

Offline deej

« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2017, 21:39:50 »
Ya that'll do it, thanks! I'm not sure if I want to do without the high beam tho...

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2017, 23:49:03 »
I love the KZ's.  What shop is that ?  Looks like a nice setup.

--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
65 Norton, My damn Shovelhead chop, and an 86' FXR
more YZF750R's, the KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline flip_rip

« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2017, 00:35:49 »
I'm just going to run that light with a 100W bulb. It has a spot beam pattern and is fairy bright with my first test fit. I'm not planning on blinding anyone haha but I'll be on the edge of legality...

I see lots of guys doing this on the off road forums haha so it'll be an experiment.

And the shop is Lucky Wheels Garage in Los Angeles. They have a really sick setup! I'm doing both my builds there since my apartment won't let me work on stuff in the parking garage.

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2017, 02:31:48 »
I like the seat position. its a reasonable compromise, while still looking cool. Heads up on that headlight; even with the 3 phase system i'm not sure the bike can support 100w sustained draw for the headlight, are you planning on running signals? I forget exactly but I remember reading something like 80 watts was the highest you could go on the headlight. the OEM one is 50/35. I guess you could run it and find out, but if shits acting weird that's one of the first things I would look at.

Don't get rid of the covers just yet... every now and then just put one on there and take a gander and think about how cool it would be among one of the trailblazers of the "side-cover renaissance". haha. just contemplate.