www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: An odd one. 82 kz750r1.  (Read 8482 times)

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
Re: An odd one. 82 kz750r1. Brat cafe.
« Reply #30 on: Jan 29, 2017, 15:55:25 »
One of the triple tree clamps was also broken off.. No thanks to the previous owner.

I think you should inspect the frame and forks for crash damage. it doesn't take much to bend either, and if the triple clamp is broken its a good sign that it was crashed.

Offline Coopacoopacoopa

« Reply #31 on: Jan 29, 2017, 19:48:13 »
I think you should inspect the frame and forks for crash damage. it doesn't take much to bend either, and if the triple clamp is broken its a good sign that it was crashed.

I did look over all the welds on the head tube after I noticed that. The bolt present was rusted in and overly tight, shit for brains before me mighty have just broken it off.

Offline Coopacoopacoopa

« Reply #32 on: Feb 25, 2017, 13:23:40 »
Got a little side tracked lately. My wife bought a 6spd Volvo s60-R that needed it's engine rebuilt. It's been a time consuming and expensive job.  :o

Had some time to kill the other night and ended up building an electrics/battery box. Mig'd it together out of some 18 gauge. Fits well and is decently stealthy.

Offline brad black

« Reply #33 on: Feb 25, 2017, 23:38:59 »

That's a 1982 Z1000J, standard it was faster than a GPz750R1, it's now got an 1170 Unitrak engine and is a lot faster than a 750.

if that is yours, what forks are in it?

Offline julian.allard66

« Reply #34 on: Feb 27, 2017, 02:28:07 »
It's mine and has 1989 FZR1000 EXUP forks, yoke, brakes and front wheel.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Offline jag767

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Kinesis Moto
« Reply #35 on: Mar 12, 2017, 00:33:40 »
The ugly part about removing that bolt is that it moves with the inner shaft piece holding the outer tube and inner tube together.  I've only been able to remove them using two methods.  I'd probably remove using the first method vs the second. 
  • Keep the spring in and cap on.  Compress fork upside town and use an electric or hand impact driver to remove.
  • Stick a series of 1/4 socket extensions down to inner tube to wedge in the open of the inner shaft piece, then remove bolt on other side using standard ratchet.

As far as my 2 cents on the bike, all styles are great as long as the bike is functional.  Things I don't consider functional:
  • no front fender
  • no rear/mud protector
  • barely any cushion seat
  • lack of addiquate turn signals, and headlamp
  • uncomfortable handlebars/riding postion
Remember you want to ride the bike and enjoy it, not limited your rides because of comfort.

Sure, I'll stir the pot. Fenders, not needed. Same goes for signals and cushy seats. Riding position, well what's uncomfortable is up to the rider isn't it?

My bikes get ridden, especially since if I don't borrow one I don't have a car to my name at the moment. The truth is its all up to the rider.  There's nothing wrong with dropping a front end an inch, as long as you know why you're doing it, and what should happen from it. I actually find many older bikes ride better with a little well planned adjustment.

Offline Coopacoopacoopa

« Reply #36 on: Mar 13, 2017, 03:10:01 »
More than likely not going to have fenders, signals, or a marshmallow for a seat. Later on I might run the fancy bar end signals. We will see.

A good friend of mine traded in his Honda cbr600rr for a 2015 kawi z1000. He had a stripped down r6 before as well. I've ridden both the 600's and they were quick bikes. He let me take a run around on the z1000 yesterday. All I can say is...HOLY SHIT. It is a whole different animal. Litre bikes are no joke. Pretty much anything near full throttle in 1st 2nd Or 3rd gear, the front end felt like it was coming up. Brutally fast and torquey. I'll admit it's fun, but I really have no interest in owning something like that. There's really only one place where you can actually use that kind of power and it's a track. Anywhere else is just asking for trouble IMO.

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #37 on: Mar 13, 2017, 12:03:49 »
He let me take a run around on the z1000 yesterday. All I can say is...HOLY SHIT. It is a whole different animal. Litre bikes are no joke. Pretty much anything near full throttle in 1st 2nd Or 3rd gear, the front end felt like it was coming up. Brutally fast and torquey. I'll admit it's fun, but I really have no interest in owning something like that. There's really only one place where you can actually use that kind of power and it's a track. Anywhere else is just asking for trouble IMO.

It's been said, once you go liter, you don't go back.   All the control is in your right hand man.  I've ridden an 1100 as my regular ride for 17 years!
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
65 Norton, My damn Shovelhead chop, and an 86' FXR
more YZF750R's, the KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline 1fasgsxr

« Reply #38 on: Mar 13, 2017, 13:01:33 »
Yup...its the right hand that can get you into trouble.. You cant ride wfo everywhere !! Have some common sense and you will be fine.
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41083.0

Life is a journey from the maternity ward to the crematorium....

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
« Reply #39 on: Mar 13, 2017, 16:11:09 »
also depends on where you ride. I commute 100 miles every day and the liter keeps it interesting coming home late at night.