www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: xs650 Sumotrack  (Read 28290 times)

Offline Rat_ranger

• DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: xs650 Sumotrack
« Reply #200 on: Jul 21, 2018, 14:55:36 »
Thank you, that is a big compliment.  Hopefully this week I can finish the last few details while I'm in between jobs.

Offline Rat_ranger

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #201 on: Jul 25, 2018, 23:03:42 »
Well I'm not calling it done yet, but it's a little closer.  Number plate is painted to match the tank and the headlight ring is painted back pearl.  I feel like it needs a number of something on it.

Offline Popeye SXM

• Also used for MX
« Reply #202 on: Jul 26, 2018, 01:06:13 »
For me the head light is too small with out a number or "sponsor's logo". ie too much effort went into the plate and no result. A logo or a number and I think you will have the tracker look nailed. Just my opinion of course, great bike all the same.

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #203 on: Jul 27, 2018, 15:28:26 »
I agree. I'm using 665 or 667 on mine when it's finished (neighbor of the beast  ;D )
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline Rat_ranger

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #204 on: Jul 27, 2018, 16:02:47 »
Thinking about doing 78 since the bike is a 78.  I just don't want to do an overdone number.

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #205 on: Jul 27, 2018, 17:31:00 »
That works, sounds good to me
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #206 on: Jul 29, 2018, 15:05:50 »
Wow, this is the first time seeing this build.

It looks fantastic.  But the sound of it is out of this world!!!   8)

Im a big fan.

Offline Rat_ranger

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #207 on: Aug 22, 2018, 20:58:42 »
Thanks everyone! I noticed last night that it's the BOTM, so I went and got some better pictures today.

Offline Rat_ranger

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #208 on: Mar 30, 2019, 17:00:23 »
Well with spring on its way it is time to start fixing a few things that bothered me.  Cold start cranking and warm up settings.  I started out with the cranking settings to get it to fire faster when cold.  This involved increasing dwell for the coils, adding fuel to the cranking pulsewidth, and adding an extra degree of timing advance. 

Next was the easy part, once running let autotune start adjusting the warm up enrichment curve for me.  Saves a bunch of time and simplifies things as there is no guessing.

So this will happen every first start of the day for the next few days just to get things going better.  Part of it is below about 45* the lithium battery loses too much capacity and you have to "warm" it up by cranking 10 seconds then sitting for a minute.

Offline Rat_ranger

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #209 on: Apr 13, 2019, 21:18:22 »
While the Washington rains are here I decided I should fix the 1st gear issue.  Sometimes under acceleration it'll try to pop out of first.  In the fall I short shifted so I could do some riding, but really need to fix it before I get to riding.  So best way to fix it is to undercut the dogs.  I don't have a dividing head for my mill, or small carbide endmills that have a chance of cutting the hardened dogs.  So the lathe, with the milling attachment and a flex shaft grinder were my tools of choice. 

1st I made a piece to use the flex shaft grinder as a tool post grinder and mounted it in the milling attachment.  Then to make sure I'm getting the right angles I dressed 12 chainsaw sharpening stones to be straight and true.  Then using a test indicator set the grinder to about 1.5*, I went .007" drop over .25"(.005 over .25 is 1*).  Next I dialed in one side of a dog and taking .001 or a little less each pass went down about .01 to get the corners cleaned up on the dogs and get the angle set.  Repeat on the other 2 dogs. 

Next I dialed in the opposite side of a dog and set the grinder for the opposite matching taper and repeated the process. 

Finally, the part I'm still workings on is to use a courae diamond needle file to get the slots in 1st gear to match the now cleaned up and undercut dogs.   After everything all the dogs and slots will be polished with a fine diamond lap and a very slight bevel on the edges for a good deburr.

This should get 1st gear to pull the engagement tighter under power rather than try to jump out, while the polishing should help it go in and out of gear when I want.