www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: My vision of a 1982 Suzuki GS750e  (Read 1525 times)

Offline COYOTEfour4

Re: My vision of a 1982 Suzuki GS750e
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2017, 00:51:43 »
I felt the same way you did Crazy. I actually emailed them the picture that you see with dimensions and was told that it was totally normal.... I think it looks odd as hell too but the bolts torqued just fine and the seal would not come from the actual exhaust flange but from the metal gaskets, right????
“A ship in harbor is safe — but that is not what ships are built for.” — John A. Shedd

Offline stroker crazy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • crazy as a fox
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2017, 05:53:32 »
The gaskets seal, but without the flanges providing stability I can't imagine them lasting for long …

Crazy
“Ride like the Wind” W.H.

Offline brad black

« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2017, 07:44:01 »
an inch on a bike is a major change.  the problem with these older bikes is they're long and bits are heavy - wheels, etc, so it takes a bit of moving.  hence the wide bars.  tilting it forward doesn't make it stop and drop like a late model bike, it just makes it "unstable" and requires stuff do things it doesn't want to.  think of it as flowing through corners instead of attacking them.  they can be ridden fast with good suspension, but it's a different style.

the way you have it now is the fun part.  all the clean bits looking a lot like a motorcycle.  finishing it off - running wiring through it all, making it all fit - can be a real pita.

Offline SrgtBear

• The arsenic has oddly shaped feet...
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2017, 13:47:44 »
Love the build and that teal frame!  She's going to be fun to ride.

I second changing the pods.  I have those emgo pods on my XS500.  They are horrible.  Clog jet ports and fall off.  For my KZ650 I got Unilter Pods.  They are amazing, can't stress that enough.

Ted

Kawasaki Kaiju (怪獣) - 79 KZ650 - 700cc Bore Cam Rocket - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39748.0
75 Yamaha XS500B Cafe - Completed - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=14392.0
74 Honda XL 125 - Original - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=25706.0

Offline COYOTEfour4

« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2017, 16:24:36 »
Thanks for the feedback Bear and funny you should mention wiring Black....

Wiring was the next task that I wanted to accomplish and then I wanted to test fire the engine. It was at this point that a lot of the prep work early on really paid off. I had tagged every connection even if it was blank. The pictures I took early on also helped to determine the best routing. I also knew that somewhere there was a wiring issue that the PO could not apparently fix.

This was the wiring harness....

I cleaned up the harness and began making connections....

I eventually had a satisfactory layout and something that wasn't a complete rats nest. This approach also allowed me to track down the wiring 'issue' that the previous owner had eluded to. The rectifier that was on the bike actually belonged to a Honda. After searching for the right model number I was able to find a used one off of eBay. After new fuses, some shrink wrapping, and a new battery things started to take shape...

I still have some minor components to add such as a headlight, turn signals, and horn but everything is accounted for and there shouldn't be any issue with these.

After getting the wiring squared away, I thought it would be a good time to test fire the engine to make sure everything was communicating correctly. I ran hoses, added oil, and gave the carb some gas. It was around this time I realized I had only finger tightened the oil drain plug, as was indicated by the leaking oil. The carb also had some minor tightening on the hoses to seal it up. I rotated the crankshaft manually just to spread some oil and it turned smoothly, I checked for spark and was rewarded. After about 6-8 seconds of cranking it over...... it started!! Finally!!!

The idle was set and after feeding it some more gas the engine came to temperature. I stopped the engine and allowed it to cool. I then removed the valve cover and re-torqued the head bolts. This was based on a recommendation I found on DTT.

So, this is now were we stand.... Don't worry, the pods have been trashed. I will be getting Uni or K&N. I will also not be raising the rear end so as to keep the bike in a more level stance.

Up next is the braking system. I think I will also have the seat refurbished and then on to paint. More to come.....
“A ship in harbor is safe — but that is not what ships are built for.” — John A. Shedd

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2017, 12:01:44 »
Very nice work.  Your electrics are very tidy.  Let's hear it run!
--
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
The Shovelhead springer chopper
A bunch of KZ's...some Suzukis', and a disassembled CB550
--

Offline COYOTEfour4

« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2017, 21:22:47 »
Hi All, just wanted to post a quick update with the new developments. As was recommended, I dumped the cheapo pod filters and upgraded to the K&N filters. A change to slightly larger jetting will also occur.

I am continuing to work on the wiring of the various small items. Below is a shot at the rear turn signals which I just wrapped up. I am also working to get the seat refurbished and will be finding a shop to complete the paint job on the tank and other components. I have also been putting off the brake system but that also has to occur.

More to come as time and budget allows. Thanks for feedback all. Carver, I do have a video of the bike running but depending on the file type, I either have the video or I have the sound.... not both. I am working on it and will try to post.

One question I have for the group is regarding the tank, it has some minor surface rust on the interior of the tank. I will be using Evapo-rust to remove the rust but at what point is it recommended to re-seal your tank? I was planning on completing this before paint but am not sure if re-sealing is warranted or not.

Thanks all,

Offline ncologerojr

• Catskill Mtn. Customs
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 19:28:18 »
Very clean. Nice job.

Offline Heartthrob

« Reply #18 on: Jun 05, 2017, 21:22:06 »
This project is awesome! What are your plans for the gauges?