Recurve Bow Build

Thought I would post pics of what the this Bow could have been if it had glued up properly. I did some work on the riser for practice before I start my second one.......I will post that one for anyone thats interested in this kind of project

But i will do another one with this wood combo because I think it would look great with a few coats of clear......also, this is just the rough cut.......I spent a few more hours doing final sanding of which I don't have pics for you

IMG_1571_zpsznmnak8q.jpg

IMG_1572_zpszunicz6l.jpg

IMG_1573_zpsjezxmniv.jpg

IMG_1574_zpsnp1vu3y5.jpg

IMG_1575_zpsslt2018u.jpg

The limbs are Hard Maple core and Black glass on the back and belly

Update,

So in the meantime of not working on any bikes I did start on a new bow form.

3/4" plywood sandwiching 1/4" ply for a total of 1-3/4"......and you can see the template for the router to cut to shape as well as a new riser that is made of walnut with a cherry core

IMG_1593_zpskfg9ek3f.jpg

IMG_1595_zpsrxnjvrwh.jpg

IMG_1596_zpszxubrcfn.jpg

Then my router went a little crazy because I used 1/8" mdf as the template and the edge started to fold....but I stopped and made 1/4" plywood template and continued then I fixed the chewed up area with bondo and a file
IMG_1597_zpsu3cgor5h.jpg

And here is the final product.

IMG_1600_zpshgxjbfdb.jpg

The metal frame work does 2 jobs....1 - keeps the 2 halves together at a certain distance and 2 - also keeps the plywood straight

More to come shortly

As I was working on this riser getting the final shaping done, I screwed up and took a little too much off the lower section...........AND I ended up having to make a new one AGAIN

Old one
IMG_1595_zpsrxnjvrwh.jpg

New one (walnut with a bamboo core)
IMG_1602_zpsaqicxsl8.jpg

IMG_1603_zpsvulfvjjw.jpg

So this next part Im going to have to YADA YADA some of the built process because its the same as the first time I posted earlier on in this thread and I also didn't take any pics of the process. Basically mix up the epoxy and coat all the fibreglass and wood cores then lay it into the form and compress it....so here it is

IMG_1604_zpsnv7fh9o0.jpg

and peeking into the oven while cooking
IMG_1605_zps1zltpntg.jpg

That was last night and the bow has since come out of the oven and cooled, I just haven't separated the form and removed it.
But maybe later today I will get to that part

Nice you see you back in action, Kamn!!! 8) 8) 8)

If you want more bamboo for riser material (and possibly limbs...) I have a small pile of 70"×1 1/2" bamboo taking up space in my garage, as well as a cutting board-sized piece at the in-law's. Possibly some cherry, too from the first canoe paddle I made (botched it - the second one turned out sweet!). Let me know!

Thanks Cookie,
I will probably take you up on the offer because any chance for extra woods is always appreciated

I just popped open the form, removed the pressure hose, removed the pressure strip, took off the bracing, and Voila!

IMG_1606_zpsjaiqw8em.jpg

IMG_1607_zpsxqg9imk9.jpg

Glue joints all look nice and tight, it came out straight to the eye but will check with a laser and string later

Looking like I have a useable bow, just need to sand off all the excess glue and will have more understanding of how good it is

I know it's sanded by now where the hell are the pictures ;D

still not sanded, haven't had a chance to do any more as of yet
soon

My dad has a recurve he made in highschool, Likely a little to old to pull back now but Ive always wanted to make my own. This is a super cool project. Cant wait to see it done, maybe once im through my backlog of bike projects i'll try something similar.

Back
Top Bottom