1980 XT500 BUILD

That looks to be a variation of the Yamaha “speed block” pattern. You might try searching “Yamaha speed block decal” and see if you can find something similar.

Hmmm i have had no luck looking for the tank decal.
im wondering now if its a custom tank decal.

Your correct about the speed block decal, its very close!

XS750AU said:

Yes! I also found those RD decals. I think it’s as close as I’m going to get. I think they will look great

Thanks for the help!!

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Why i am waiting for parts to arrive. like clutch plates and a few other bits, i thought i would wrap the exhaust.

Attachments

• IMG_1411.jpg
    IMG_1411.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 330
I just thought i would also add that earlier on in the rebuild, the bike was not starting. and i was having trouble. I realised that it was because it has low compression and it also had a faulty kill switch, because of the faulty kill switch the spark was very inconsistent .

So i had another fresh top end rebuild done. replaced everything! that fixed the compression issue. now the engine is absolutely perfect!!
Installed a brand new kill switch also.

Attachments

• IMG_1412.jpg
    IMG_1412.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 248
Today, i noticed my rear sprocket was a bit wobbly. Not too bad but definitely some movement!
So i replaced all the rubber dampers and o rings and its now super tight and snug. So that fixed the issue if anyone else is having the same problem.

Attachments

• IMG_1397.jpg
    IMG_1397.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 261
  • IMG_1399.jpg
    IMG_1399.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 261
teledan said:
Nice work! That old XT is getting some love!

Yes definitely! I have done every inch of this bike!
Nearly finished! Parts should arrive tomorrow. Can’t wait to get it going.

I have a question, i hope someone can help.

There doesnt seem to be any marks on any of these cogs. So while re-installing the clutch basket. how do i know i have the clutch basket cog line up with the correct teeth. i have read the manual but cannot seem to find a clear answer.

I assume the clutch basket must line up with the oil pump cog, the kick starter and the contact breaker cog. All on the correct teeth.
but there are no marks apart from the marks on the contact breaker.

So can anyone help?

Attachments

• IMG_1557.jpg
    IMG_1557.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 261
Crank and breaker shaft are geared together to set ignition timing. The rest don't matter. Just fit the clutch basket and keep going.

teazer said:
Crank and breaker shaft are geared together to set ignition timing. The rest don't matter. Just fit the clutch basket and keep going.
Really?
Ok great thanks for the help. I’ll get onto it!

Quick question for everyone!

While lining up the marks on contact breaker shaft. and installing it.

Where does the piston need to be. does it need to be TDC ? because i have noticed it goes around twice, and i dont want my timing to be 180 degrees out!
So do i line up the marks on the "T" mark as per the pic. with piston at the top?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG-1595.JPG
    IMG-1595.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 262
  • Untitled-2.png
    Untitled-2.png
    249.6 KB · Views: 331
Yep all good, bike needed to be at TDC on compression stroke.
I put everything back together . and the bike is started first kick!!
Just rode it up and down the street a few times.

Thanks Teledan,
I feel like im only writing to you! haha your the only one that replies. I think the thread has gone a bit flat.
Anyway im going to carry on, perhaps it will help someone some day!

The headlight i have been using is good, but it really has been too tight for all the cables and wires, the headlight shell was too wide. So i am going to swap it out for a thinner headlight.
A couple of times the throttle cable especially was pulling when i turned the handle bars, i am really unhappy with everything so squashed. So a new thinner headlight and some cable re routing will be the best option for a smooth turning circle and free up some space.

Dont want any issues while fanging it down the street on one wheel. brrraaaaaaaaabbbb!!!!

Attachments

• IMG-1375.JPG
    IMG-1375.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 262
  • IMG-1374.JPG
    IMG-1374.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 254
Much better, really happy with the way the cables are all organised, it was a bit of trial and error getting the cables all in the right spot. but super happy how clear it is now.

Attachments

• IMG-1391.JPG
    IMG-1391.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 265
Back
Top Bottom