www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Suzuki GN125 - Tracker - First Project  (Read 3756 times)

Offline parksieNZ

Suzuki GN125 - Tracker - First Project
« on: Apr 12, 2017, 15:16:51 »
Morning, I just wanted to share the progress I had made so far in my first rebuild of a GN125 to a Tracker style bike.

Here are few pics of the original bike.

Offline parksieNZ

Re: Suzuki GN125 - Tracker - First Project
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2017, 15:22:46 »
First off the bike wouldn't start, but after cleaning out the carb, replacing the gas and the plug it started to fire up, but still stalled with any revs. This confirmed compression was good so next step was to take the thing apart.

There was quite a bit of surface rust and a family of spiders had moved in, but over all not too bad.

Offline parksieNZ

« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2017, 15:26:17 »
Once I had it all stripped down the frame I prepped it for painting and removed all the rust. Then I painted the frame using VHT chassis and roll bar paint, which is surprisingly good stuff. Easy to use and has a great finish.

Offline parksieNZ

« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2017, 15:29:55 »
Next step was prepping the tank. I looked at soda blasting it, but to be honest it was already in pretty good nick, so just some elbow grease, steel wool and a sand and it was ready for painting. Here is used VHT again with their Engine Enamel products.

Offline parksieNZ

« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 2017, 15:33:07 »
Next step was to prep and paint the front forks, once again I used VHT Chassis and roll cage paint here. I also put the shocks back together and added the dust gators.

Offline parksieNZ

« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2017, 15:38:44 »
Next step was to prep and paint the wheels, Sating black same as the frame. There was load of oxidation on the wheels so prepping was a nightmare.

Offline parksieNZ

« Reply #6 on: Apr 12, 2017, 15:40:56 »
Time to remove the Suzuki logos from the tank and fix the big dent on one side. I also wanted to change the tank shape a bit for a better look. A quick prime to stop rusting for now. Proper paint job to follow at a later stage.

Offline JSJamboree

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT BIKE OF 2016
  • Weird Indy Kid
« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2017, 16:57:45 »
That bike started off suuuuuper ugly, but those wheels sure look nice.  Excited to see what you make of it.

Offline parksieNZ

« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2017, 23:16:05 »
Engine back in the frame and put the tank back on just for looks. Putting the engine back in was a bit of a nightmare, much easier getting it out. So far so good.
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2017, 23:18:27 by parksieNZ »

Offline parksieNZ

« Reply #9 on: Apr 13, 2017, 23:22:24 »
Re-attached the swingarm, the old rear shocks, chain and rear tyre as well as started putting some electrics back in to see if it still runs.  Rear shocks have to go, but still deciding on which to get, the Nirtrogen 325mm shocks from japanese motorbike parts looks good, but not sure how good they are.