www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: FRANKENHONDA II the 1982 DOHC CB 750F2 Build  (Read 55590 times)

Offline jag767

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Kinesis Moto
Re: FRANKENHONDA II the 1982 DOHC CB 750F2 Build
« Reply #80 on: Aug 13, 2017, 08:43:07 »
No bunble wrap, use the thin foam inderlay for floating floors. Its strong and thin works awesome. Cheap too.

Offline cb250nproject

• If you can make it better do so
« Reply #81 on: Aug 14, 2017, 06:58:23 »
Ok so today made some good progress managed to hit the frame again with the wire brush then paint it up.

First I had to de tab the frame
tabs done

Then on to spraying. Let me go on the record as saying I'm not even a spray painters, butchers, second cousins, Guinea pigs vet.

Luckily the clothes line is weight rated 🤙

Next we went to the mill to modify the top triple

Set up is everything

First we wanted to make the slot to house the idiot lights

Originally there was a Suzuki emblem countersunk into the triple and its dimensions were larger top to bottom than the idiot lights so we chamfered all around the gauge.

Next we decided to use the hole that use to mount the ignition, and bore it out large enough to house the speedometer.

We had to be careful not to take out any of the ribs on the underside of the triple
it was slow going so we tried our luck with a 54mm circular cutter

It paid off

Then it was back to boring until we got it to the required size

Then the final test to see if it's the right size

Success!!  We then needed to drill holes and tap threads on the underside of the triple to secure the gauges

Pretty happy with today's progress, tomorrow I'll get some more paint and put another few coats on the frame and the discretely bring it in to the lounge room and put it under the heating ducts to try and bake it... then it's on to the engine

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
first cafe build was an incomplete learning experience, more of a test run for the real thing FRANKENHONDA II

Offline dakine_surf

• "Stay Thirsty my Friends"
« Reply #82 on: Aug 14, 2017, 08:20:03 »
Wow looks sweet, I really dig it, awesome machining

Well I tried but I can't run no more
Tell Katie it's her that I adore
And as long as I love her best
I'm that much further west

Offline cb250nproject

« Reply #83 on: Aug 14, 2017, 08:23:41 »
Can't take credit for the machine work that was the old man he's the one with all the cool toys

first cafe build was an incomplete learning experience, more of a test run for the real thing FRANKENHONDA II

Offline LightsOut

« Reply #84 on: Aug 14, 2017, 08:28:46 »
Top triple came out great, fits really well with the speedo. That's a good looking unit btw. Nice work!

Offline cb250nproject

« Reply #85 on: Aug 14, 2017, 08:32:33 »
It's from Daytona I can't wait to see them both lit up.... although that's going to be a little way down the track yet

Offline CrabsAndCylinders

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Careful With That Axe Eugene
« Reply #86 on: Aug 14, 2017, 16:12:30 »
Yeah, nice work on the triple clamp!
Lighter, Quicker, Faster.
ZX-14, 900F x 2, 1100F, R100, CBR600, SR500, GT500, RZ350, KZ1000 x 2, Moto Guzzi Lemans lll, CBX550, RD 350, 750 SOHC police special, RG250, TL1000R, GT750, KTM Super Duke 1290 R, Harris/Z-1, Norton 750 Commando, Green 77 KZ650

Offline cb250nproject

« Reply #87 on: Aug 15, 2017, 04:52:05 »
Ok so I drilled and taped a thread in the rear of the Triple to hold the speedo

I messed up the M5 tap attempt and had to re drill it and go up to a M6

Thankfully I nailed it second time round, I then decided to see how hi temp caliper paint would come up I figured if I didn't like it I would just strip it and get it anodised

I'm pretty happy with the way it looks see how it lasts

I then touched up a few parts on the frame I wasn't happy with and managed to sneak it into the lounge room without too much protest from the minister for war and finance

Was hoping to achieve more but such is life. Tomorrow engine I'll have to work out how the hell im going to prop it to spray. I'm thinking this one may be a little too much for the clothesline

Open to suggestions I purchased some steel rod and was thinking maybe using wood either that or I'll attempt my first mig welding project

Offline cb250nproject

« Reply #88 on: Aug 16, 2017, 04:41:32 »
So when I went to the auto shop to get some heave duty degreaser I noticed a atv jack on sale for $70

Probably couldn't raise a family underneath it but it will do while the degreaser was soaking in I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding the rear brake caliper

So being a noob and a bit of a retard I remover the brake line DONT do this as I learned you'll need that connected to pump the caliper pistons out later .

So you have to remove this retaining plate to allow you to slip out the two pins that hold in the brake pad

I then pushed both pads together so as not to jag on the pins as I pulled them
Out

It was at this point the light bulb went on and I reconnected the brake lines and began to pump the pedal

Unfortunately one of the pistons was slightly seized and being a dumbass I didn't put something in place to stop one coming out while the other one came along.

Take two

Finally out but upon closer inspection I wasn't happy with the state of them so I've ordered some more unfortunately this means this job won't be getting completed this break boo

I've soaked  the caliper in thinners to eat away the paint and hopefully tomorrow I'll strip it back and spray it up

Offline cb250nproject

« Reply #89 on: Aug 17, 2017, 04:22:42 »
So I found a few runs on the triple so had to fix it up, or risk having it do my head in every time I ride it.

Then I turned my attention to the caliper that I had left soaking over night

After a whole lot of scrubbing with various brushes it ended up coming up not too bad

Once it was ready I reinserted the pistons, valve and some bolts to stop the paint getting in and undoing all my hard work

I then set up a bracket to hole the caliper so I could paint it

Tomorrow after the paint has hardened I'll try to grind back the paint off the Honda see how it goes