www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: FRANKENHONDA II the 1982 DOHC CB 750F2 Build  (Read 55743 times)

Offline cb250nproject

• If you can make it better do so
Re: FRANKENHONDA II the 1982 DOHC CB 750F2 Build
« Reply #550 on: Nov 17, 2018, 15:11:01 »
Looking good, seat tray is nice n clean.  Ive always liked gold calipers.

Thanks, I think the tricky bit will be repainting the Honda logo in black. Itís going to be a crazy masking job. Either that or Iíll have to do it by brush.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
first cafe build was an incomplete learning experience, more of a test run for the real thing FRANKENHONDA II

Offline cb250nproject

« Reply #551 on: Dec 08, 2018, 04:44:09 »
So the frame has come back from being sandblasted and powder coated

The caliper was hydroblasted came up pretty sweet Iíll hit that with some golden paint

Hopefully some time this week the head and barrels will be ready.

Iím still contemplating whether or not to split the gearbox, the engine had done about 68k

If I split the box Iíll get it hydroblasted also, I donít think Iíd be able to hydroblaste the gearbox with the motor assembled without getting water ingress

Has anyone here hydroblasted a fully assembled motor before with success ??

first cafe build was an incomplete learning experience, more of a test run for the real thing FRANKENHONDA II

Offline 1fasgsxr

« Reply #552 on: Dec 08, 2018, 07:08:34 »
Why not powder coat the caliper? Lots of gold colors available.
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41083.0

Life is a journey from the maternity ward to the crematorium....

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #553 on: Dec 08, 2018, 10:58:48 »
Just a heads up - I used the exact same paint on my caliper (both make and colour) with questionable results to be honest.  I followed the instructions, baked the thing after applying the paint, but the first time I tried bleeding the lines and got brake fluid on the caliper it tore right through the paint.

Maybe I messed up somewhere (entirely possible) - you may have better results than me.  Good luck!  And that frame came out sweet.
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Offline cb250nproject

« Reply #554 on: Dec 08, 2018, 14:43:45 »
Why not powder coat the caliper? Lots of gold colors available.
The caliper bracket will go back to be coated black. As itís only the caliper I want to be gold

The guys said the powder coating wouldnít stand the heat. I had every intention of having it coated in the same gold as the rims, as I had left over powder but the guys at the shop red carded it. I figured they would know given they deal with it all the time.

Offline cb250nproject

« Reply #555 on: Dec 08, 2018, 14:46:25 »
Just a heads up - I used the exact same paint on my caliper (both make and colour) with questionable results to be honest.  I followed the instructions, baked the thing after applying the paint, but the first time I tried bleeding the lines and got brake fluid on the caliper it tore right through the paint.

Maybe I messed up somewhere (entirely possible) - you may have better results than me.  Good luck!  And that frame came out sweet.
Iím not sure, I can definitely say that I know the caliper will have been prepped correctly this time before painting it.

I wonder how upset my wife would be if I put it in the oven to bake it after spraying maybe Iíll do a test run with it on something else.

Fingers crossed 🤞 it works

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #556 on: Dec 08, 2018, 14:50:53 »
I know exactly how upset my wife would have been if I'd used her oven.  Very. 

I bought a used toaster oven for $5 and used that.

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #557 on: Dec 08, 2018, 14:55:13 »
The guys said the powder coating wouldnít stand the heat. I had every intention of having it coated in the same gold as the rims, as I had left over powder but the guys at the shop red carded it. I figured they would know given they deal with it all the time.

Really?  I'd've thought powder coating callipers would be an option, if done right.

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #558 on: Dec 08, 2018, 18:49:09 »
Not if they use normal polyester powders.  I have a top triple clamp and calipers that were P/C'd and I didn't notice some brake fluid on the parts after I bled the brakes.  Came back a while later (as in months- years) and P/C has lifted and parts corroded underneath.

So they were stripped and painted with caliper paint which brake fluid washed off.  After that I tried VHT Epoxy and that also lifted.

I just stripped the calipers again and this time I used VHT high temp engine enamel and baked them for an hour at 220F. We'll see soon if that works.

I understand that 2 part epoxy would work after it has catalyzed and cured.  I just hope I don't have to do that.