www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

OUR ADS ARE FROM SUPPORTERS OF THE COMMUNITY - CONSIDER TURNING YOUR AD-BLOCKER OFF FOR WWW.DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: XS750 '77 Danish Cafe Build  (Read 2402 times)

Offline SprayKat

Re: XS750 '77 Danish Cafe Build
« Reply #10 on: Jun 28, 2017, 12:14:26 »
So im planning the design on the side covers and the tank.

The side covers are getting painted the same metal-grey as the fuel tank.

After much consideration I decided that I dont want to have the logo underside a clear coat but instead as matte vinyl print on the outside of the paint.

I think im going for the last image. A circle on the side cover with "77" and "XS750" along the circle with "inverse" yamaha-logo on the gas tank, all in matte black.

Any thoughts?

Offline jetmechmarty

« Reply #11 on: Jun 28, 2017, 20:28:11 »
IMHO,  less is more.  77 on the covers and nothing else.  Or, nothing on side covers.  Plain tuning forks on tank with no circle or ball.  Nobody needs to know it's a Yamaha XS750 unless they care to ask.  Let the bike speak for itself.  Don't make it a billboard.

Nice work, BTW.
Marty (in Georgia)
XS650

Offline Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
« Reply #12 on: Jul 10, 2017, 14:06:00 »
I like the last pic the best.

How hard was it to wrap of the tank in vinyl? I am doing a search on that now, my wife wants a satin blue tank and I found some wrap on eBay for $30. I was going to paint it, but she only wants the tank that color and it will be a few hundred dollars by the time I buy all the materials and satin gloss clear.

Offline SprayKat

« Reply #13 on: Jul 10, 2017, 19:44:06 »
I like the last pic the best.

How hard was it to wrap of the tank in vinyl? I am doing a search on that now, my wife wants a satin blue tank and I found some wrap on eBay for $30. I was going to paint it, but she only wants the tank that color and it will be a few hundred dollars by the time I buy all the materials and satin gloss clear.

thanks for the input. Personally I would get a professional to paint the gas tank, because it's the most important piece of paint job on the mc. My tank job was 3500 DKK (466€).
Vinyl is cheaper than paint ofc but not easy to wrap on a rounded tank. You would need to do the wrapping it in 3 parts. One on each side and one from front to back. You can use some cutting tread you put on before the vinyl to get the clean lines from the different pieces of wrap. Check some YouTube videos of wrapping and using cutting thread. I think something like 3M is good quality wrap. I got it from Poland through eBay but I'm located in Europe.... Soo...

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline SprayKat

« Reply #14 on: Jul 10, 2017, 19:45:27 »
Wrapping also only lasts like 2-3 mby 4 years before it gets worn and needing change.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline SprayKat

« Reply #15 on: Jul 25, 2017, 08:16:45 »
So the front forks was renovated. I originally thought that I had some XS850G-fork due to air valve in top cap, because no XS 750 has that originally, but as I took it apart, I saw that it was the original fork, but some previous owner had threaded a hole for an air valve.

« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2017, 08:18:23 by SprayKat »

Offline SprayKat

« Reply #16 on: Jul 25, 2017, 08:23:36 »
And then the fuel tabs. I bought a ultrasonic cleaner on 10L from some dude, who got one to small for his interests.
Its some china made thingy bought of eBay, but it works fine.

Ofc the fuel tabs got all new rubber parts. :)

How often does raw, unprotected aluminum need to be cleaned again? Would it make sense to coat it with something? Or chemical protection?

Offline SprayKat

« Reply #17 on: Jul 25, 2017, 08:55:59 »
So I wanted to keep the gauge clean, with no indicators, and I have this unused whole in the crown.

So I saw this "KOSO Analog and Digital Motorcycle Warning Indicator", got inspired and wanted to replicate it in diameter size about 29mm with is the inside diameter of hole in the crown.

I bought LED-indicators form kickstarter.de and build the rest from scrap plastic and some paint.

So I made the prototype done and im satisfied. Gonna buy darkened glass (like sunglass) for the outer/upper glass and print a vinyl sticker with the indicator lamp figures cut out, so its gonna be properly done :)

And I got the front wheel on the bike. After I have painted the final drive with VHT engine enamel black satin (which will be the only amateur paint on the bike by me), I can install the rear wheel and the bike can stand on its own.
Next up is contacting a motorcycle seat maker. :)

Offline XS750AU

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #18 on: Jul 25, 2017, 09:19:42 »
Are you actually parking your bike in the house??
Must be true love!!!!!!!
“Engineering is the art of being approximately right rather than exactly wrong.”

Yamaha XS750-2D
Yamaha XS896
Husaberg FE550
Yamaha TT250
Yamaha IT200N