www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Comstars + gsx-r front end  (Read 11215 times)

Offline erock85

Re: Comstars + gsx-r front end
« Reply #20 on: Jun 21, 2017, 10:41:28 »
I too am working on a comstar to CBR front end. Here's what I have currently

Here's a cross section of the wheel/hub of the comstar and the colored components are what I need to machine. Spacers and such. The blue section is the bearings, also went with 9mm and the fuschia is the bearing dust seals. Red is the spacers. And green is the axle collar. The rotors I used have an offset of 12.5mm so I had to take that into consideration when I designed the hub rotor adaptor.

1974 Honda CB360
1979 Honda CX500

Offline rs_ss350

« Reply #21 on: Jun 21, 2017, 13:08:44 »
I too am working on a comstar to CBR front end. Here's what I have currently

Here's a cross section of the wheel/hub of the comstar and the colored components are what I need to machine. Spacers and such. The blue section is the bearings, also went with 9mm and the fuschia is the bearing dust seals. Red is the spacers. And green is the axle collar. The rotors I used have an offset of 12.5mm so I had to take that into consideration when I designed the hub rotor adaptor.

erock85 - Wow cool, that diagram is super helpful. If you have a file I can use to figure out the measurements for the GSX forks and rotor combo i have, i will buy you  six pack!  What thickness seals did you use?  I see you've got the ID of the seals at 32mm so that the spacer slip in there...
1979 CB750K - 10th Anniversary Limited Edition
1982 CB750K - Cafe/brat project under construction
1977 CB750K - another project!

Member of Moto Guild SF

Offline erock85

« Reply #22 on: Jun 21, 2017, 13:55:03 »
erock85 - Wow cool, that diagram is super helpful. If you have a file I can use to figure out the measurements for the GSX forks and rotor combo i have, i will buy you  six pack!  What thickness seals did you use?  I see you've got the ID of the seals at 32mm so that the spacer slip in there...
I actually have the GSXR drawing too, that might help better. I used Hayabusa rotors with caliper spacers on my cb360, but that has a Harley wheel. You can do this how you want but you will need the measurements Fork Spacing at Wheel Spindle Clamps = 153mm here's the drawing I made up. So really you could put the comstar hub in the gsxr drawing if you want and you should be able to figure out your spacers needed.
Yes, the spacer will be in the seal and up against the bearing.
gsxr: I can't find the actual .dwg for this. It might be on my home computer, I'm at work now. I'll look tonight

Here's the .dwg for the comstar to CBR https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9hiVQBdcJeBZDFYUHRrM0UySUk
1974 Honda CB360
1979 Honda CX500

Offline erock85

« Reply #24 on: Jun 21, 2017, 14:16:08 »
You don't really need the dust seals.  It has sealed bearings.
This is true, but with the narrower bearing I wanted to fill that void I suppose.
1974 Honda CB360
1979 Honda CX500

Online irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #25 on: Jun 21, 2017, 14:18:27 »
This is true, but with the narrower bearing I wanted to fill that void I suppose.
Just pointing that out to the OP, not a question for your design.  I flanged my spacer in that situation. 

Offline erock85

« Reply #26 on: Jun 21, 2017, 14:27:03 »
Just pointing that out to the OP, not a question for your design.  I flanged my spacer in that situation.
I read ya. And to be honest, I may do that too, which the OP might want to do. I was doing some quick math just now and with a 32 OD x 25 ID that only leaves 3.5mm wall thickness on the spacer. That might not be strong enough. So there is room for options if that is needed. Thanks for the idea!
1974 Honda CB360
1979 Honda CX500

Offline focusinprogress

• City Limit Moto:Parts-Service-Apparel (716)8038606
    • City Limit Moto
« Reply #27 on: Jun 21, 2017, 15:12:20 »
thank you!

So the Comstar bearing has 42mm OD and 15mm ID, with 13mm width.  The GSX axle is 25mm ID, so I found an All Balls bearing that's 42mm OD, 25mm ID, but it's 9mm wide.  Will the narrower width be a concern in terms of performance/wear-tear?  And if not a concern, I assume the spacer inside the hub will need to be 8mm wider to make up for the space difference, then we should be all good?

you will need a new internal bushing, keep stock width but make it 25mm ID. Then you'll need custom centering spacers. Then you'll need to measure for rotor adapters. I can made what you need, but with time and material it is going to cost $300-400 for axle spacers and rotor adapters. And I'd need VERY accurate measurements from you, or at least the axle and wheel mailed to me with the replacement bearings and rotors.
For all your gear needs, check out CityLimitMoto.com
DTT10 code for 10% off at checkout

Offline focusinprogress

• City Limit Moto:Parts-Service-Apparel (716)8038606
    • City Limit Moto
« Reply #28 on: Jun 21, 2017, 15:14:39 »

did this one with an FZ1000 front end and GSXR rotor for a cb750 DOHC for a guy in central PA
For all your gear needs, check out CityLimitMoto.com
DTT10 code for 10% off at checkout

Offline rs_ss350

« Reply #29 on: Jun 21, 2017, 16:17:47 »
You want a slide fit.  Not tight, but not loose either.  Essentially, OD of axle should match ID of spacer.

i'd worry a little bit on the fit if the axle is exactly 25mm, and the ID of the spacer is exactly 25mm, that it might not fit?  worried about machining tolerances. not doing the machining myself, so wondering if i should just specify a few 100ths of a mm larger so be safe?
1979 CB750K - 10th Anniversary Limited Edition
1982 CB750K - Cafe/brat project under construction
1977 CB750K - another project!

Member of Moto Guild SF