www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Xs650 cafe project  (Read 736 times)

Offline oldscotty

Xs650 cafe project
« on: May 20, 2017, 16:17:19 »
So I am finally starting my cafe project. The donor bike is an 81 xs650 special with an xv920 dual disk front end. The front will be getting a set of progressive springs and I will be doing away with the air assist. I will be building the motor into a 750 big bore with a shell #1 cam. Swapping the rear out to a disk brake set up as well. Got the bike on the lift today and got the motor pulled. Damn, that sucker is heavy!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 16:19:01 by oldscotty »

Offline oldscotty

Re: Xs650 cafe project
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 17:38:47 »
So this might open a HUGE can of stinky, but I would like some input on the different ignitions for this bike. My old xs650 chopper had a Boyer bransden ignition on it and it worked well. This bike is a factory tci bike and I don't know the performance benefits of this type of ignition. I have a Pamco on my cb360 and it works well in that application. Just curious what the xs speed freaks prefer.

Offline oldscotty

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 20:38:14 »
So off came the head and then I had to under take the task of freeing that pesky stuck right cylinder. Lots of PB blaster and a big ass hammer and punch and she came right out. Not gonna use the stock jugs or pistons so no worries. Combustion chamber on the head cleaned up good too.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 20:41:38 by oldscotty »

Offline Rat_ranger

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 21:01:32 »
If you want to change out the charging system to a PMA, you will have to change the ignition.  A large number of people seem to like the pamco, but I haven't seen anything bad about the boyer.  They seem to be the major ones.  But if you are keeping the stock charging system, I would just keep the TCI. 
Xs650

Offline motnz

« Reply #4 on: Jul 04, 2017, 07:24:10 »
You can retain the standard ignition system and update the charging system with a PMA....

Offline Rat_ranger

« Reply #5 on: Jul 04, 2017, 18:14:09 »
You can retain the standard ignition system and update the charging system with a PMA....

Not with the TCI.  It's triggered by the rotor, so swapping to a PMA gets rid of what triggers the TCI.  So that means going to points or one of the other ignitions available.
Xs650