www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 1999 Trans Am  (Read 1328 times)

Offline interceptor

1999 Trans Am
« on: May 30, 2017, 20:32:33 »
Now that we are finally seeing some decent weather, it`s time to get the car out.  My son and I take the time to clean it up every week, and show it at local car shows. Nothing special, but it is close to 20 years old and only shows 43,000 miles.  The T Tops are a great feature  :D
Opinions are like farts... they stink and no one wants to hear it except yourself.

Offline interceptor

Re: 1999 Trans Am
« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2017, 14:56:47 »
There are a few things I would like to do to the car.  First and foremost is, I would like to rebuild the rear end and swap the gearing. I believe it is around a 2:73 right now, and I would like to be around 3:42.  I have read that the rear ends can be a problem in these cars, so my thoughts would be to: swap the gearing, add ARP stud kit for the carrier bearing caps, change all bearings and seals, ad a girdle/cover and possibly weld the axle tubes to the center carrier.  I'm not really a racer, but if I'm going to do the gear swap, I may as well do everything so I know it can handle it.  I was wondering if anybody has done this to their cars and what the pro's/con's may be.  Thanks
Opinions are like farts... they stink and no one wants to hear it except yourself.

Offline jag767

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Kinesis Moto
« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2017, 16:25:35 »
There are a few things I would like to do to the car.  First and foremost is, I would like to rebuild the rear end and swap the gearing. I believe it is around a 2:73 right now, and I would like to be around 3:42.  I have read that the rear ends can be a problem in these cars, so my thoughts would be to: swap the gearing, add ARP stud kit for the carrier bearing caps, change all bearings and seals, ad a girdle/cover and possibly weld the axle tubes to the center carrier.  I'm not really a racer, but if I'm going to do the gear swap, I may as well do everything so I know it can handle it.  I was wondering if anybody has done this to their cars and what the pro's/con's may be.  Thanks

I had a 2004 gto and the rear was about the ratio you're looking for if that's any help. I thought 3:46 but it's been a while

Online canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2017, 16:30:27 »
Neat.  I had a 1979 TransAm way back. 
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
65 Norton, My damn Shovelhead chop, and an 86' FXR
more YZF750R's, the KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline interceptor

« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2017, 21:12:19 »
jag,  did you like the gear in your GTO?  Was it factory, or did you put it in?

Canyoncarver...  Too bad you don't have it anymore, they are demanding some serious coin now.  Especially if you had the 400 4spd!!   
My son and I went to the Trans Am Nationals last year in Ohio, and there was a 1989 Turbo TA with 5 original miles  :o  Unbelievable!

Offline Rider52

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2017, 21:27:47 »
Very nice ride! A friend of mine had one. His son pulled the lever on the T Top while going down the road. 
Projects
74 Yamaha TX650
Sweep the Floor Project
3 Assorted Honda CL 72 scramblers in a million pieces
3 Harleys in constant state of sorrow and a Buell
1978 Yamaha Chappy 80 burning up the highway
Cut my motor in half Sportster to Shortster

Online canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2017, 21:54:45 »

Canyoncarver...  Too bad you don't have it anymore, they are demanding some serious coin now.  Especially if you had the 400 4spd!!   
My son and I went to the Trans Am Nationals last year in Ohio, and there was a 1989 Turbo TA with 5 original miles  :o  Unbelievable!

I got mine outside the Navy base at Great Lakes in around 87'.  It had the Olds 403 and auto though.  I have good stories and memories of that car.  When I got it, the po had ladder bars under the ass end and dingle ball trim on the dash.  It was red, fast and awesome.   

Post up your TA mods. 
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2017, 21:56:16 by canyoncarver »
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
65 Norton, My damn Shovelhead chop, and an 86' FXR
more YZF750R's, the KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline interceptor

« Reply #7 on: Jun 02, 2017, 22:20:21 »
Heres a little background on the car. In 1999, my dad needed a new car. I was living in Denver at the time, when my mom called me saying that he was going through a mid life crisis because he came home with this very car.  Fast forward 3 years, and the car was in Florida at their condo.  It stayed there for 10 years or so.  When my mom passed in 2011, he sold the condo and brought the car home to Michigan. Hes now 78, and can`t get in the car, so he asked if I wanted to buy it for a really good price.  It only had 41,000 miles, no accidents and a complete maintenance history record. No brainer!!  Now, my 10 year old son and I drive around in it and have fun with it.  We get lots of compliments, but mostly about.how nice it is.  No mods as of yet. Don`t really want to change too much, but a gear would be nice, maybe have it tuned and some new tires.  Then, maybe some different exhaust tips. Thats it  ::)
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2017, 22:27:24 by interceptor »

Offline jag767

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Kinesis Moto
« Reply #8 on: Jun 02, 2017, 23:02:05 »

It was factory and it was fine, gears didnt feel too shot or long. I don't know if the trans was geared the same, although I think they both sport a t56.

Offline jag767

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Kinesis Moto
« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 2017, 23:03:13 »
Heres a little background on the car. In 1999, my dad needed a new car. I was living in Denver at the time, when my mom called me saying that he was going through a mid life crisis because he came home with this very car.  Fast forward 3 years, and the car was in Florida at their condo.  It stayed there for 10 years or so.  When my mom passed in 2011, he sold the condo and brought the car home to Michigan. Hes now 78, and can`t get in the car, so he asked if I wanted to buy it for a really good price.  It only had 41,000 miles, no accidents and a complete maintenance history record. No brainer!!  Now, my 10 year old son and I drive around in it and have fun with it.  We get lots of compliments, but mostly about.how nice it is.  No mods as of yet. Don`t really want to change too much, but a gear would be nice, maybe have it tuned and some new tires.  Then, maybe some different exhaust tips. Thats it  ::)

Slponline.com is your best friend if you dive into any serious work.